A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:09:59 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Markwayne Mullin Congressional run  (Read 40862 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2013, 10:41:55 am »

Oklahoma U.S. Rep. Markwayne Mullin's early votes don't reflect his public call for bipartisanship

Despite his public plea for bipartisanship, U.S. Rep. Markwayne Mullin, a freshman Republican congressman from eastern Oklahoma, has mostly voted with his party on controversial bills and has even opposed legislation with strong bipartisan support.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-u.s.-rep.-markwayne-mullins-early-votes-dont-reflect-his-public-call-for-bipartisanship/article/3761665?custom_click=pod_headline_usnational-news

WASHINGTON — Despite freshman Rep. Markwayne Mullin's public plea for bipartisanship, the Oklahoma Republican's voting record in his first few weeks in Washington has been decidedly partisan.

And in some rare cases when bipartisan legislation cleared the House, Mullin was among a small minority in opposition.

Monday, just hours after a House speech in which he quoted George Washington and talked about common bonds, Mullin voted against a bill that passed 370-28 to guide federal agencies in preparing for public health emergencies such as pandemics. Members of both parties praised the bill Monday for its bipartisan support; it cleared the Senate without a dissenting vote.

Similarly, in February, he was one of only 27 House members to vote against a bill to create a network to research pediatric diseases; no additional spending was authorized.

In an interview Tuesday, Mullin said both bills represented the expansion of federal government, something he said he came to Washington to oppose.

Though the bill regarding public health emergencies mostly renewed preparedness programs already in place — and imposed no additional costs — Mullin questioned whether the federal government should even have a role, other than perhaps providing some financial aid.

“I'm willing to negotiate, but not compromise my core principles,” said Mullin, of Westville.

A majority of House Republicans and Democrats voted in January to increase the borrowing authority of the Federal Emergency Management Agency to deal with the impact of Hurricane Sandy. Mullin was among the 67 opponents, all Republican.

On partisan votes — ones in which the majority of Republicans and the majority of Democrats are on opposite sides — Mullin has sided almost every time with his party.

Those votes included a bill supported by most Republicans to stop a pay increase for federal employees; the Violence Against Women Act, opposed by the majority of Republicans; and a bill to provide $50 billion in federal aid for Hurricane Sandy recovery projects, opposed by the majority of Republicans.

The one vote in which Mullin sided with a majority of Democrats against a majority of Republicans was on a measure to temporarily raise the debt ceiling; he voted against it.

There have been bills passed overwhelmingly that Mullin supported, including two Tuesday: one to stop illegal trafficking of tobacco in some U.S. territories and another that would require the president to estimate each taxpayer's share of the deficit when submitting a budget.

Earlier this year, he supported a bill that had only two dissenting votes to condemn North Korea for a nuclear test and another to reauthorize graduate medical education programs in children's hospitals.

In his speech Monday, Mullin said he was “committed to working with any member regardless of party to roll up our sleeves and get to work.”

Tuesday, he said he was working with rank-and-file Democrats on issues regarding natural gas, transportation and state lakes.

“The (Democratic) members themselves — we get along,” Mullin said.

He said the two parties “have valid points” on immigration and should be able to reach an accord on a reform bill.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2014, 10:04:46 am »

Markwayne's opponent died yesterday in a car crash near Ft Gibson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2819818/81-year-old-Democrat-candidate-Oklahoma-U-S-House-seat-killed-car-crash.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2014, 10:14:46 am »

It wasn’t a Red Rooter van that hit him, was it?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2014, 10:22:43 am »

Naw. Those just disappear for day's.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2014, 11:03:09 am »

...or a red BMW with a political stalker from Norman without a D.L.?   Roll Eyes Wink
None of the news reports even mention the other car.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:10:19 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2014, 10:45:35 am »

I support Mark M. he did a good job. He speaks for the people.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2014, 12:32:38 pm »

What did he do?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2014, 01:23:35 pm »

Lol....

Do you even know what bills he has sponsored??
Here's a list if you are interested.  The big one is the oilfield job preservation bill - at a time when oil is booming and really doesn't need any help.... Yep - good job...speaking for the people...the run oil companies!  But mostly that one is a ploy to let truck drivers wait for hours at a well site - no upper limit - without it counting toward their hours of service for driving.  Yeah...just what we need - MORE drowsy truck drivers falling asleep driving!!  But it caters to oil, so that's what is important.  Notice who else is co-sponsoring that one....of course.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/R?d113:FLD003:@1%28Rep.+Mullin+%20Markwayne%29:

I second Townsend - what has he done? 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2014, 08:02:19 pm »

You know him so well that you didn't even get his first name right.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2014, 11:15:32 pm »

Details, details.  What's in a name

Grin

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2014, 12:02:20 am »

He probably doesn't even realize that he doesn't represent his district.  Well, maybe NO Oklahoma representatives do.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2014, 12:05:34 am »

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The chairman of the Oklahoma Democratic Party says a special election is needed in the 2nd Congressional District following the death of the party's candidate just days before the general election.

Republican Congressman Markwayne Mullin received 70 percent of the vote in Tuesday's general election. But Democratic Party Chairman Wallace Collins said Friday he believes state law requires that a special election be called due to the November 2nd death of the Democratic candidate, Earl Everett.

State law calls for a special election if a candidate's death occurs more than five days after the runoff election. It authorizes political parties to replace deceased candidates, and Wallace says the party's central committee will meet Saturday to pick one.

Republican Party Chairman Dave Weston says the party opposes a special election.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2014, 01:01:12 am »

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The chairman of the Oklahoma Democratic Party says a special election is needed in the 2nd Congressional District following the death of the party's candidate just days before the general election.

Republican Congressman Markwayne Mullin received 70 percent of the vote in Tuesday's general election. But Democratic Party Chairman Wallace Collins said Friday he believes state law requires that a special election be called due to the November 2nd death of the Democratic candidate, Earl Everett.

State law calls for a special election if a candidate's death occurs more than five days after the runoff election. It authorizes political parties to replace deceased candidates, and Wallace says the party's central committee will meet Saturday to pick one.

Republican Party Chairman Dave Weston says the party opposes a special election.

Won't matter unless they can talk Garth or Reba into running.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2014, 04:50:43 pm »

Won't matter unless they can talk Garth or Reba into running.

Garth is moving to Nashville, so I'm guessing he wouldn't be interested....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2014, 09:06:45 am »

He probably doesn't even realize that he doesn't represent his district.  Well, maybe NO Oklahoma representatives do.

Oh he realizes. That's why he used his Dad's ranch address instead of his in Coweta. That one is actually in the district he represents.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org