A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:23:54 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James E. McNellie's Public House  (Read 7066 times)
erfalf
City Father

« on: June 04, 2012, 07:53:54 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: 1st Street
Date/Time of Visit: Saturday June 2nd, lunch
Quality of Food (1-5): 4
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 3
Overall Rating (1-5): 4
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$

What makes this restaurant unique:

Believe it or not, I have never been prior to this trip. I have never been in a McNellie Group restaurant either. Crazy I know. Obviously this place holds a special place in many downtown enthusiasts heart, being one of the first to take the risk of opening an evening restaurant in the area.

That being said, what McNellie’s does is what every successful restaurant does. They provide good food and good service at a fair price.

Tell us about your experience:

The first thing I noticed and was somewhat surprised about was how low key the décor was. I was expecting something a little more commercial and was pleasantly surprised to see the opposite. They shouldn’t have to worry about that as long as the food product and service are kept up. And the service was fantastic, she checked on us often, never had to look for her. Considering it was Saturday afternoon, it wasn’t very busy. But the wait staff was on top of things all the same, not slacking off because it wasn’t busy.

Since everyone has been telling me how good the burgers are, that’s what I got. Charburger and sweet potato fries. Both were excellent. Considering the quality, I had no qualms plunking down $8-$9 for a burger. The value was there. The kiddos had chicken fingers (of course) and I have to say they were very home made tasting. All of the best breast meat and a very home made tasting breading. The Pub Fries are so so, but I’m not complaining.

Overall, well worth the trip, and I would gladly visit again.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:59:07 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed: 1st Street
Date/Time of Visit: Saturday June 2nd, lunch
Quality of Food (1-5): 4
Menu/Food Options (1-5): 4
Quality of Service (1-5): 5
Atmosphere (1-5): 3
Overall Rating (1-5): 4
Price ($-$$$$$): $$$

What makes this restaurant unique:

Believe it or not, I have never been prior to this trip. I have never been in a McNellie Group restaurant either. Crazy I know. Obviously this place holds a special place in many downtown enthusiasts heart, being one of the first to take the risk of opening an evening restaurant in the area.

That being said, what McNellie’s does is what every successful restaurant does. They provide good food and good service at a fair price.

Tell us about your experience:

The first thing I noticed and was somewhat surprised about was how low key the décor was. I was expecting something a little more commercial and was pleasantly surprised to see the opposite. They shouldn’t have to worry about that as long as the food product and service are kept up. And the service was fantastic, she checked on us often, never had to look for her. Considering it was Saturday afternoon, it wasn’t very busy. But the wait staff was on top of things all the same, not slacking off because it wasn’t busy.

Since everyone has been telling me how good the burgers are, that’s what I got. Charburger and sweet potato fries. Both were excellent. Considering the quality, I had no qualms plunking down $8-$9 for a burger. The value was there. The kiddos had chicken fingers (of course) and I have to say they were very home made tasting. All of the best breast meat and a very home made tasting breading. The Pub Fries are so so, but I’m not complaining.

Overall, well worth the trip, and I would gladly visit again.

They have $5 hamburgers on Wednesday, but good luck getting in after work.  It's usually jam-packed.

I love the atmosphere.  I meet friends there regularly for a "5:01 meeting".  I'm working on the McNellies list, which is the list of beers you have to drink in order to get your own beer mug.  It takes quite a while if you are just a casual visitor.  Two of my friends have one.  I hate feeling left out.   Grin

Also a great place for the adults to visit pre-Drillers game.  Park in the lot just east of the building if you get there early enough and it's barely a walk to the park.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:04:38 am »

I'm working on the McNellies list, which is the list of beers you have to drink in order to get your own beer mug.  It takes quite a while if you are just a casual visitor.  Two of my friends have one.  I hate feeling left out.

I have one but my wife bought it for me in the long long ago.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:39:18 am »

I have one but my wife bought it for me in the long long ago.

Bought it?  Meh, that's no fun.

Wink

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:42:06 am »

Agree with all said about McNellies, but beware the parking lot. Awful, rutted, chat lot with difficulty entering. Surely they could improve that. We are known for our downtown parking lots afterall...

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:47:16 am »

Bought it?  Meh, that's no fun.

They didn't offer them with the 'round the world back in the day.  $25 and you had your mug.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:03 am »

They didn't offer them with the 'round the world back in the day.  $25 and you had your mug.

Ah...before my time then.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 08:52:25 am »

Ah...before my time then.

Back then, you opened a bar, I was there.

Now I have 3 appointments having to do with baby stuff this afternoon.

Might as well smash that mug and make it a diorama.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:00:06 am »

Back then, you opened a bar, I was there.

Now I have 3 appointments having to do with baby stuff this afternoon.

Might as well smash that mug and make it a diorama.

I get you. I'm not complaining in the lease, because I love my lifestyle now. But trying new things is somewhat trickier than it used to be. My wife and I used to try a new restaurant about once a week. Not so much any more.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
rdj
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 09:04:36 am »

They had to stop selling them because they ran out of space.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TeeDub
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 10:05:01 am »

And if you have an old one, and you aren't still a regular, good luck in them finding it without making all sorts of noise.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:24 am »

And if you have an old one, and you aren't still a regular, good luck in them finding it without making all sorts of noise.

They've been pretty good about finding mine.  I don't ask if they're 4 deep though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org