A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:34:35 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MAMASOTA'S IN & OUT Mexican Restaurant  (Read 3949 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« on: April 26, 2012, 11:35:49 am »

I'm going to make shameless plug for a new restaurant opened by a friend of mine. New businesses are scarce and when someone commits their life and their finances to one they should be admired. The following is my review.

Mexican food is like chili or beer. People’s tastes on those topics is ruled by their early experiences, regional offerings and the environment in which they were introduced. Thus my wife’s concept of Mexican food started with her falling in love with a tostada from a Tulsa Taco Bueno in the early 70’s since her home state of Wisconsin had no Mexican restaurants available at the time. My experience started with a taco from a dive my sister worked at in high school in the mid 60’s and was fine tuned when I married a young woman of Hispanic descent in 1970. From her family I learned that an enchilada dinner from El Charrito wasn’t much different from the one at Kip’s Big Boy since the same cook worked at both places. The only difference was the ambiance and the Margarita’s at Charrito. So when I try a new Mexican restaurant I always try to remember those elements. I recently ate at a friend of mine’s new place called MamaSota’s In and Out over at 41st and Memorial. Its in the strip center on the south side of 41st, west of Memorial.

I always look at the help closely when I enter a restaurant and the general condition of the premises. This place is simple and clean, the server was neat and helpful. The kind of place you can get in and out with good food quickly, which explains the name I guess.

I chose the flagship menu item, the Burrito with Tortilla Chips. You may have it built to your own tastes with choices of meats, beans, rice, cheese, salsa and several extras. Mine was ground beef, black beans, Spanish red rice, shredded jack, roasted tomato salsa and sour cream on a spinach tortilla. It was tasty and huge. More than I really needed. The ground beef is well seasoned and juicy. The chips were of the thicker variety which is great for dipping but very filling. That set me back only $6.75 and I just had to have an authentic Mexican cerveza with the meal for another $3.50. Is there a Marshall's that goes well with Mexican? Go by and thell them!

My wife went with the Chicken Quesadilla at $6.50 and found it to be quite good. George, the server, helped her decide the make-up of the dish and quickly assembled it as she watched. Another thing we both appreciate is seeing our food put together.

My owner friend was quite proud of his breakfast choice which is available all day long (mon-fri 7am-3pm and Sat 9-3) and I was envious of the Chorizo and Scrambled Egg Burrito that he chose. For $4.95 it came with mexi-fries (large cottage style) and choice of vegetarian black beans or refried. It looked beautiful! I love Mexican breakfasts.

This place is very busy at lunch times with its proximity to Blue Cross Blue Shield. The owner has gotten great reviews from Scott Cherry of the TW as well so get there early at lunch. Evening times are more relaxed. This is certainly not a particular style, like Southwest or TexMex  if that is your liking. You can certainly spice it up to your own tastes though.  The place has a family feel to it. This is closer to what I remember from my ex-in-laws style of cooking and the servers resemble them as well. Even the girl on the menu looks like my ex-wife. I mean that in a good way. Good food in ample quantities at reasonable prices. Well worth checking out.

Thank you for your time. (I had this in the wrong forum category. So sue me.)

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 12:20:43 pm »

Good review. You know, there are lots of these little places throughout the city and some a real hidden treasures. For example, there is this little pizza joint I have just heard of, I think it's called "Top That" or something, which this forum really has heard little about. Could someone go in there and check it out... Grin

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org