A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:40:21 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I Responsible For My Neighbor's Children Education?  (Read 22579 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 06:24:38 pm »

I'll go back to our constitution and find where the right to education paid for by your neighbor is found.

You do that. It'l keep you busy and off of here for awhile. Then note that we've been doing it for over 150 years or so.

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 06:32:42 pm »

You should be more concerned about your disrespectful and damnable tone waterboy. I, as do many many others out there, do PLENTY to make life livable for everyone far beyond what they pay in taxes--which is far more than you. And get over your damned self and how "erudite" you think you are. Unless someone appointed you "president of the internet" and can thus boycott posters, there are people out there that, gulp, who may disagree with you.

EDITED:  In thinking about this I have concluded that I am just done with whatever "beyond tax" contributions to make this town and state better. I am not even from here originally, yet it's my home and I wanted nothing more than my neighbors to be better off--even at my own personal expense. Not any more. Helping others--which is what it's supposed to be about and NOT how such makes the donor feel--is now lost to me. Maybe waterboy's insight can make up the difference.

Me, erudite? You so funny. And so sensitive. Doesn't feel so good when you're on the barb does it?

If you feel it necessary to take your ball and go home cause the rules don't suit you, then don't blame it on me. Be a man and move to one of Sauer's favorite states where you can enjoy your money and bathe in your noblesse oblige without anyone questioning your beliefs.

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »

Me, erudite? You so funny. And so sensitive. Doesn't feel so good when you're on the barb does it?

If you feel it necessary to take your ball and go home cause the rules don't suit you, then don't blame it on me. Be a man and move to one of Sauer's favorite states where you can enjoy your money and bathe in your noblesse oblige without anyone questioning your beliefs.

Blame you for keeping my money? Nope. Those is need can blame you if they choose.

As for taking time out? I have before. But each time I returned I managed to be man enough to retain my same forum name. How about you?

As for 150 years ago, what happened in 1872 (or so) that created the mentality that our neighbors are required to pay for one another's education? 

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 07:11:31 pm »

Blame you for keeping my money? Nope. Those is need can blame you if they choose.

As for taking time out? I have before. But each time I returned I managed to be man enough to retain my same forum name. How about you?

As for 150 years ago, what happened in 1872 (or so) that created the mentality that our neighbors are required to pay for one another's education? 

You need to read the link I posted.  It talks about the need for common education in the new (after the 13 original colonies) states including the need to learn English.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 07:23:07 pm »

You are so losing this battle. Yet, I couldn't care less.

Please, tell all your charities that you would like to continue to help but someone questioned you on a forum and you just can't do it anymore. That's class? Really, Gueed, I know people with lots more money than you who give lots more of their time and wealth and hardly mention it. That's real class.

Time out? You inferred that you weren't from here and might just move on. I changed my name but everyone knew it. I took time off, collected my self and returned when I had this forum in some clear perspective. I also thought it was better to be referred to as a man (aquaman) rather than a boy (waterboy). Even so, I always introduce myself with all my names when visiting TN functions (you know, the ones you never go to). So sue me.

150 years ago would have been in the 1860's. If you had bothered to read any of the links you would have seen an act that created federal land grants for universities at that time. Communities had already been granting land for public schools before then. But why bother? It doesn't fit your scheme.

Its been fun, but this thread is going nowhere fast.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 07:42:13 pm »

Yet, I couldn't care less.

Ding, Ding, Ding......

Someone who finally used the correct statement that they 'couldn't care less" rather than the more common "could care less".

THANK YOU.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 07:43:03 pm »

I have to post this Thurow quote again? Gweedoe, some of us changed our monikers because we were thrown off while you were allowed to continue on in your bully manner. We found our way in the backdoor which meant choosing new identities. You made me do it...

"Social welfare programs may be a matter of ethics and generosity, but education and training are not. I am willing to pay for, indeed insist upon, the education of my neighbor'e children, not because I am generous but because I cannot afford to live with them uneducated." Lester C. Thurow MIT

Please don't go away until after November. We will hand you your exit.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 07:50:53 pm »

You need to read the link I posted.  It talks about the need for common education in the new (after the 13 original colonies) states including the need to learn English.
I read the article Red, but my take from it was more about finance than need--although both is very important. I am tired of listening to people b!tch about how public education should be paid for. I look out my front door twice a day and see my tax-funded limo service dropping off and picking up public school kids at 1 block intervals while I drive my kids to a school which I pay for since I am unconvinced that public ed measures up.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 07:51:26 pm »

I have to post this Thurow quote again? Gweedoe, some of us changed our monikers because we were thrown off while you were allowed to continue on in your bully manner. We found our way in the backdoor which meant choosing new identities. You made me do it...

Please don't go away until after November. We will hand you your exit.

Using the backdoor aox?

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »

I just love getting the revenue side discussion of paying for making Tulsa a great city out into the open. I am often amazed the same people who want less government fail to look for lost money that belongs to all the citizens. You find it a lost cause to address the issue of tax avoidance and it's adverse effects? Just because their personal financial situation dictates their logic and altruistic ways does not mean the rest of us shouldn't discuss what Ken Yazell proposes.

Back door man.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-EIi7ToTkA[/youtube]

Gotta go....time for Mad Men Cheesy I like the show more than reading your mean man trash talk... Arteest the Dreamer, how about some senior living downtown?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:56:56 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 07:52:24 pm »

I thought it interesting that in one of the articles about the Land Grants and the Northwest Ordinance, there was concern from the Founding Fathers that states might adopt a different form of government, or non-democratic forms of government, and were also concerned that different states might adopt different languages.  So if you want to argue that there isn't anything in the Constitution requiring publicly funded education, one must then allow that there also isn't anything in the Constitution saying that a state has to have a democratic form of government or have English as its primary language?  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 08:05:52 pm »

I thought it interesting that in one of the articles about the Land Grants and the Northwest Ordinance, there was concern from the Founding Fathers that states might adopt a different form of government, or non-democratic forms of government, and were also concerned that different states might adopt different languages.  So if you want to argue that there isn't anything in the Constitution requiring publicly funded education, one must then allow that there also isn't anything in the Constitution saying that a state has to have a democratic form of government or have English as its primary language?  

Well there is always the Supremacy clause to stamp out dictatorships I guess.  Smiley Interesting take though, and I'll think more about it.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2012, 08:09:28 pm »

I read the article Red, but my take from it was more about finance than need--although both is very important. I am tired of listening to people b!tch about how public education should be paid for. I look out my front door twice a day and see my tax-funded limo service dropping off and picking up public school kids at 1 block intervals while I drive my kids to a school which I pay for since I am unconvinced that public ed measures up.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  I think public education is a lot less expensive than public ignorance (which leads to people becoming Democrats  Grin).  The public school system needs to be fixed, not abandoned.  If you choose to send your kids to private school, OK.  You will still be better off in the long run if you support public education.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:33 pm »

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  I think public education is a lot less expensive than public ignorance (which leads to people becoming Democrats  Grin).  The public school system needs to be fixed, not abandoned.  If you choose to send your kids to private school, OK.  You will still be better off in the long run if you support public education.

As I wrote at first, I think all children need a chance. I have always been a child first person and that is well documented in here. My beef is at those bitching about how its paid for and how they feel some folks are getting over. Seriously Red, I have answered the questions as to what's the point of going beyond what one kicks in as taxes? That's all.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2012, 08:27:47 pm »

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  
And by the way, it's speaks volumes that two posters in this forum that are relatively close ideologically can disagree on something like this. And we have in the past as well. How about the other side? I mean, other than RM and the 2008 election stuff.  Cheesy I keed I keed.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org