A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:03:32 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palace Clothing Building/Old Arby's  (Read 109263 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2012, 03:36:11 pm »

OK, 150 miles  Tongue
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2012, 05:38:03 pm »

I took some photos this afternoon:

Now, I'm not entirely sure that all the elements are Art Deco.  This front entrance looks like Art Nouveau, but you have to remember, I'm a guy who wears Hawaiian shirts with plaid Bermuda shorts.  I don't know beans about art.

The rest of the photos are on my Google+ page at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114874700548780474647/ArbySBuilding

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:12 am »

I don't think downtown Tulsa was within 75 miles of the epicenter anyway. The epicenter was close to Norman and Shawnee.

It's about 60 miles from the epicenter to downtown Tulsa as the crow flies, as near as I can tell.

Here's the exact earthquake location info:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2011/usb0006klz/#details

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2012, 11:55:10 am »

It's about 60 miles from the epicenter to downtown Tulsa as the crow flies, as near as I can tell.

Per Google Maps:

Using the coordinates in your link, it's only about 69 miles by car.  I-44 to Stroud, south on OK99 and US377 to a bit north of Prague then west to the coordinates.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2012, 01:26:51 pm »

This site agrees with your 60 statute miles for Great Circle Distance:
http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2012, 10:06:07 am »

I am not real big on conspiracy crap, and I would love to give a company the benefit of a doubt... however, I have been through 2 extremely large earthquakes within a very short period of time.  Specifically 6.7 and 7.9 in Alaska, back in Oct/Nov 2002.  We were about 90 miles from the epicenter and the most significant damage that occured on base was some cracks in the drywall of the dining facility.     

Honestly, this is just an easy excuse because there is a healthy fear of earthquakes here.

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2013, 01:11:14 pm »

I saw whom I've always assumed was the manager for this location outside the bldg today (redhead).
She showed no ill-will...  I told her a lot of people think the "earthquake damage" thing is a sham.
She says she's seen the damage and doesn't dispute it.
I asked her if they plan to relocate and got a "we hope so."

A friend of mine said someone has been sniffing around the old Schlotzky's location downtown. Seems a bit out of the way for most foot traffic, but maybe that is where Arby's could move. I seem to remember Schlotzky's always being busy when it was there.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2013, 01:25:34 pm »

Reunion center lobby is available.. across the street. And the owner has no intent to tear his own house down.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2013, 01:12:09 pm »

Please do not tear this building down. Sell to the Snyders for crying out loud.

Remember the excuses they gave for tearing down the Skelly Building? This excuse stinks worse than that did: "functionally obsolete". The same turn of events: first plans to rehab it into condos, failure, demolition.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2013, 02:11:30 pm »

Please do not tear this building down. Sell to the Snyders for crying out loud.

Remember the excuses they gave for tearing down the Skelly Building? This excuse stinks worse than that did: "functionally obsolete". The same turn of events: first plans to rehab it into condos, failure, demolition.

Lorton told Lafortune back then what he will say now, it's theire property and they have no intent of selling it to anyone else.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2013, 02:30:48 pm »

The TW missed an opportunity to help the Brady when they sold that big lot south of the Brady Theater to an industrialist who parks milk trucks there now. I'm confused as to what the intent of TW holding property means. On one hand, they promote downtown. Then, there's their other hand....
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2013, 02:58:29 pm »

They have nothing to gain by promoting downtown. Their actions speak much louder than their words, all of which are suspect.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2013, 03:20:39 pm »

On one hand, they promote downtown. Then, there's their other hand....

Which hand is that?
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2013, 03:30:24 pm »

Which hand is that?

Their dominate one.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:58 am »

I regret every penny I've spent on Tulsa World newspapers over the years. Their "journalistic integrity" (I know: oxymoron) is in question. Mr Lorton is willing to lie to Tulsans and thinks we are gullible enough to believe him.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org