A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:56:44 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palace Clothing Building/Old Arby's  (Read 108509 times)
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 01:56:13 pm »

Great pics and I love the building having been in it when it was Globe but...the pic is from 1914 and it was already built, not 1917. I know, details, details..... Cheesy

I'd trust the Tulsa County Property Assessor more than an undated photo from the BFC. The Assessor lists it as being built in 1917.

The Assessor also lists the building's name in one of its photos... The Excalibur Building.

To those who say there's nothing special about this building, you're wrong. Just look up. It's got some great deco details, and it's one of the oldest buildings in downtown. It could be used for anything, and is a great location for residential. Plus, it's got an awesome name. Aside from that, it's valuable because it is part of the existing urban fabric and street wall, and it's prime for redevelopment.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 11:18:03 am »

I'd trust the Tulsa County Property Assessor more than an undated photo from the BFC. The Assessor lists it as being built in 1917.

The Assessor also lists the building's name in one of its photos... The Excalibur Building.

To those who say there's nothing special about this building, you're wrong. Just look up. It's got some great deco details, and it's one of the oldest buildings in downtown. It could be used for anything, and is a great location for residential. Plus, it's got an awesome name. Aside from that, it's valuable because it is part of the existing urban fabric and street wall, and it's prime for redevelopment.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »

FWIW, while researching my home the Tulsa Preservation Commission said to never trust the Assessor's date.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2012, 01:48:25 pm »

FWIW, while researching my home the Tulsa Preservation Commission said to never trust the Assessor's date.

Interesting... Who can we trust?

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 02:25:21 pm »

Great pics and I love the building having been in it when it was Globe but...the pic is from 1914 and it was already built, not 1917. I know, details, details..... Cheesy

The picture was taken in 1918.  I can tell from the pixels
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »

Interesting... Who can we trust?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 03:10:39 pm »

A buddy of mine, dependable for this kind of information, is unable to find anything out about the TW wanting to demolish the building.

I've also contacted someone with the World and have not heard back about it.

So I got bupkis.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2012, 05:48:43 pm »

Micro writing on the pixels?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2012, 06:47:20 pm »

The "Arby's building" was originally Palace Clothiers.  It was built in 1917 as a 5-story building, and then later enlarged to 9 stories...

Here is a photo of the original 5-story building:
http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/204/rec/5

And here it is in 1925...
http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15020coll1/id/192/rec/15

Edited: Well, darn, can't get the photos to appear here.  I think I got the links right, though.

Note the trolley tracks in the earlier picture and that they were gone by the second picture.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2012, 08:36:09 pm »

This Land has a story about our rumor.  Lorton says its not going to be demolished.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2012, 09:45:44 pm »

If the pixels are played backwards, are there satanic messages?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 06:30:15 am »

Well that's fantastic news.  

If any of them happen to read this thread.... how bout putting a really tall and wide simple loggia structure along that blank wall facing main street closest to the Hyatt.  The sidewalk is really wide there.  Would make the perfect place for some sort of farmers and artists market and would greatly help rebuild some pedestrian friendly nature along Main and make that area look a gazillion times better, offer some shade for pedestrians on hot days and protection from the rain, etc.   I will even design it (did some architectural design and engineering back in my Vo-Tech days before I went into the military) and chip in to help build it.  Grin

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:39 am »

Its hard to trust either of them for accurate dates. A home in my neighborhood is a good example. The Assessor dates it as 1919 yet a phone book at the library shows a resident, a phone number and an occupation two years earlier.

onward...through the fog
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:35 am »

This Land has a story about our rumor.  Lorton says its not going to be demolished.

Wait, you mean we spent 4 pages ranting about a rumor that's not true?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 09:28:08 am »

Wait, you mean we spent 4 pages ranting about a rumor that's not true?

See, TN has influence Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org