A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:32:10 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palace Clothing Building/Old Arby's  (Read 108535 times)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:57 am »

If true, this is mostly disappointing considering the message the newspaper has been espousing. They have (in print) been a champion of downtown development (although my suspicions are that they are a champion of the power that be, but that's for another day). Yet here they sit about to tear down another building. A building that fits in well. It will be ages before someone would come along and build something in that small of a footprint. Or something that looks half as good as this one does on the exterior.

Are residential renovations not that profitable in Tulsa yet? Can they not ask enough in rent? What do units in the Mayo 420 go for? That seems like a similar building to the Arby's bldg, although bigger. Why are all of these residential conversions falling apart when the ones that work appear to be so successful. Or are they?

Of the following are any struggling: Mayo Hotel Lofts, The Metro, Tribune Lofts, Philtower Lofts.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 08:24:42 am »

If true, this is mostly disappointing considering the message the newspaper has been espousing. They have (in print) been a champion of downtown development (although my suspicions are that they are a champion of the power that be, but that's for another day). Yet here they sit about to tear down another building. A building that fits in well. It will be ages before someone would come along and build something in that small of a footprint. Or something that looks half as good as this one does on the exterior.

Are residential renovations not that profitable in Tulsa yet? Can they not ask enough in rent? What do units in the Mayo 420 go for? That seems like a similar building to the Arby's bldg, although bigger. Why are all of these residential conversions falling apart when the ones that work appear to be so successful. Or are they?

Of the following are any struggling: Mayo Hotel Lofts, The Metro, Tribune Lofts, Philtower Lofts.

Downtown residential has been very successful in all of the buildings that you cite (The metro has a new smoke shop on the ground floor). More downtown residential is on its way: 141 new apartments at 2nd and Greenwood, 8Metro, GreenArch, Brady Flats, Riverbend, Bill White, and the YMCA at some point.  Something is going on in the Vandevers building too.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 08:37:09 am »

Downtown residential has been very successful in all of the buildings that you cite (The metro has a new smoke shop on the ground floor). More downtown residential is on its way: 141 new apartments at 2nd and Greenwood, 8Metro, GreenArch, Brady Flats, Riverbend, Bill White, and the YMCA at some point.  Something is going on in the Vandevers building too.

I understand there are quit a few in the works. Exciting, but many have been in the works and fallen through. Not being pessimistic, just not getting my hopes up. Only when they break ground will I truly believe that it will happen.

Is it just that Tulsa got started late (right before the credit crunch)? or are there just not enough people interested in living downtown to justify the increased supply?

The answer to stopping the demolition of buildings isn't to regulate it. It is to make it too valuable as a building than a parking lot. Now, that is easier said than done. But that is the only thing that will actually stop the senseless demolition of historic buildings.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 09:03:45 am »

I think you could regulate surface parking lots to make that a less attractive option.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:28 am »

The Tulsa World generally promotes what they see as being in the best interest of the paper first, best interest of the city at large second.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 09:42:15 am »

The Tulsa World generally promotes what they see as being in the best interest of the paper first, best interest of the city at large second.

As would any good business I suspect. Nonetheless, I think they can discard any pretense of community leadership.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 09:54:44 am »

As would any good business I suspect. Nonetheless, I think they can discard any pretense of community leadership.

Big difference between a newspaper and say, a fin tube manufacturer as far as first and second priority.  Naturally, a newspaper has to keep the books in order to survive, but it should, by appearances, be an ambassador of a community.  I really don’t see that in the Lorton’s World.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 09:54:53 am »

We should not just let them take this building out. They need to reconsider. We do not need additional surface parking spots on Main Street and I disagree that tearing this building down is in their best interest.  
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 09:55:56 am »

We should not just let them take this building out. They need to reconsider. We do not need additional surface parking spots on Main Street and I disagree that tearing this building down is in their best interest.  

What’s the best way to drill that message home?  Do we need to get Councilor Ewing involved?

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 09:59:22 am »

What’s the best way to drill that message home?  Do we need to get Councilor Ewing involved?

Councilor Ewing along with all of the other downtown activists and enthusiasts: Libby, Rusty, Elliott, Mary Beth and TN. Libby has a fairly sizable following on her Deco District updates.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 10:00:31 am »

Its important to state that coraboration of the rumor is the primary action.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 10:03:18 am »

That's actually a great looking building imo.  It seems to be in decent shape as well.  I can't imagine someone thinking of tearing it down. 

Agreed.
No way should they tear it down. I love the pics on the wall and having an Arby's there as well.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 10:16:27 am »

Dear Mr Lorton,

I recently heard a disturbing rumor that the Tulsa World plans to demolish the building at 324 S Main in favor of additional surface parking and in order to divest itself of the Downtown Tulsa Improvement fee. I hope that this rumor is unfounded and untrue. If it is true I sincerely ask you to reconsider. Tulsans have spent quite a bit of money on their downtown in an effort to make it a better place to work, live and play. Removing existing structures from the urban fabric without replacing them undermines those efforts. As you are aware downtown Tulsa was placed on a list of endangered assets due to all of the teardowns of the recent decades, but we seemed to have turned a corner thanks to new construction and announced project plans. I would hope that the Tulsa World would want to be part of the success of downtown and a part of its future instead of contributing to the ideals and practices of the past that took downtown to the brink of extinction.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely
Carlton Place
Tulsa Resident
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 10:17:30 am »

Well written.  Send it.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 10:20:08 am »

yea, it is sent
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org