A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:12 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Five Guys Burger Coming to South Tulsa?  (Read 27702 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »

Since we are on food...have been watching the Discovery channel with dinner this evening (late dinner).  The Alaska homestead show with the Kilcher family - a guy named Atz, who is the patriarch of what is supposed to be a survivalist homestead.  Lots of beautiful scenery...I want to go visit them.  And apparently, I can - they run a kind of bed and breakfast farmstead experience, summer and winter.  $125 a day, plus "farm experiences" training.

One of the sons is worrying about how little food he was able to put up for the winter, so he and his wife took the snow machines and went 30 miles to do some ice fishing.  I'm thinking that if conditions were that dire, I would probably give in and just go the 5 miles down the road to town and buy some groceries.  But hey, that's just me....

I have heard the name, but know nothing about the music of a musician named 'Jewel'.  I guess she does pop music, and has been nominated for Grammy's.  She is Atz's daughter and grew up in Homer Alaska on this homestead.

Anyway; they eat chicken, cow, fish (halibut, trout, etc), moose, bear, and pigeon.  Sounds pretty good to me.  Any of those would beat all these burger people.

And just because there is a town nearby, it don't mean that life is easy.  I think it would not be.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2012, 04:09:28 pm »

So I tried Five Guys.

The burger was pretty good, certainly not great, but it was good. The fries were downright soggy and bad. It made up for the bad fries with a long wait in a noisy uninviting space and really pretty high prices for stand in line and get your own drinks kind of place. It's not nearly as good as even Ron's and not even in the same ballpark as Fat Guy's with much less selection and higher prices. I won't be going to back. Another national chain burger fail like Smashburger.

I feel sorry for all these cities they have awards from on the walls where Five Guys is the best burger in town. It's probably not even top 20 in Tulsa. It's better than Smashburger, but that's not really saying much.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2012, 04:12:03 pm »

So I tried Five Guys.

The burger was pretty good, certainly not great, but it was good. The fries were downright soggy and bad. It made up for the bad fries with a long wait in a noisy uninviting space and really pretty high prices for stand in line and get your own drinks kind of place. It's not nearly as good as even Ron's and not even in the same ballpark as Fat Guy's with much less selection and higher prices. I won't be going to back. Another national chain burger fail like Smashburger.

I feel sorry for all these cities they have awards from on the walls where Five Guys is the best burger in town. It's probably not even top 20 in Tulsa. It's better than Smashburger, but that's not really saying much.

Thanks for saving me the trip.

While we are on the discussion here of Ron's, I work literally next door to one (15th and Sheridan) and have been to two of them (21st/Garnett and 15th/Sheridan).  Of those Ron's you've been to, which do you consider the best?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2012, 04:57:21 pm »

Thanks for saving me the trip.

While we are on the discussion here of Ron's, I work literally next door to one (15th and Sheridan) and have been to two of them (21st/Garnett and 15th/Sheridan).  Of those Ron's you've been to, which do you consider the best?

Sand Springs is pretty good and 15th and Sheridan are pretty good. 81st and Harvard was good last I went but it's been years.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2012, 06:47:01 pm »

and not even in the same ballpark as Fat Guy's

I like what you did there...

Hoss, I can't really say one Ron's is better than another except for Ron's #1 which is no longer there at 15th & Harvard.  I usually go to the one at 48th & Peoria, if I have a Ron's.  The one near your office is good as well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2012, 06:48:32 pm »

Hoss, I can't really say one Ron's is better than another except for Ron's #1 which is no longer there at 15th & Harvard.  I usually go to the one at 48th & Peoria, if I have a Ron's.  The one near your office is good as well.

I've only been to the two (21st/Garnett and recently 15th/Sheridan).  There are a few differences but not many.  21st uses thicker cut fries than 15th.  Guess I'm a little too much of a foodie.  Look at me at that much is probably obvious.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 07:21:38 am »

15th & Denver is a good Ron's.

On Five Guys, have you ever been in any establishment that took more effort to tell you how great their product was according to various news outlets?  They even covered the men's room walls with it.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2012, 07:26:41 am »

The Ron's owned by the family are usually the best. The one downtown on Denver is good. The stores in Owasso and Jenks are good. Broken Arrow and Glenpool are not as good. I like the one at 71st and Mingo and the one at 51st and Peoria. I don't know that I have been to the Ron's at 21st and Garnett or 15th and Sheridan.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2012, 07:53:42 am »

I used to live around the corner from the original Ron's.  IIRC, there were ten stools in the place, if that many.  Ron Baber was there every day working the flat top and his kids helped out.  They ordered a set amount of beef every day and when they were out, they were done for the day. There was always a line extending out the door. Ron had a beat up lid from a roasting pan or something like that he would put over the patties as they cooked to lock in the flavor and moisture.  I can still picture his facial expressions as he cooked.  He had a true passion for the business and that's what makes the difference whether it's hamburgers, BBQ, steaks, or diner grub.  Fond memories.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:13 am »

The Ron's owned by the family are usually the best. The one downtown on Denver is good. The stores in Owasso and Jenks are good. Broken Arrow and Glenpool are not as good. I like the one at 71st and Mingo and the one at 51st and Peoria. I don't know that I have been to the Ron's at 21st and Garnett or 15th and Sheridan.

The BA one is one of my favorites... if anything it is for the yummy battered jalapeno's.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2012, 09:42:07 am »

Nothing will ever top 15th and Harvard...had to have been there.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2012, 09:47:55 am »

That's why Bill's Jumbo Burgers is the best burger in town.

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2012, 09:49:00 am »

Since we are on food...have been watching the Discovery channel with dinner this evening (late dinner).  The Alaska homestead show with the Kilcher family - a guy named Atz, who is the patriarch of what is supposed to be a survivalist homestead.  Lots of beautiful scenery...I want to go visit them.  And apparently, I can - they run a kind of bed and breakfast farmstead experience, summer and winter.  $125 a day, plus "farm experiences" training.

If it is 125 a day I would take that in a heartbeat.  It is very expensive to visit alaska.  Even at the Government Rate for hotel it is 167 a night in Homer.  But I warn you to pick your time very carefully, the blood suckers are the state bird and I actually saw some that were just a touch smaller than a humming bird.  I actually slapped the back of my neck, killed one and it looked like someone had taken a 2x4 to my head.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:35 am »

On Five Guys, have you ever been in any establishment that took more effort to tell you how great their product was according to various news outlets?  They even covered the men's room walls with it.

The Tulsa Metro Chamber?
rdj
City Father

« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2012, 12:50:58 pm »

The Tulsa Metro Chamber?

I was referring to eating establishments, but since you brought it up, I don't recall seeing their accolades in the men's room unless you consider reading the Tulsa World while using the men's room to be one in the same.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org