A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:43:56 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Forward." as the new slogan.  (Read 16855 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:55 pm »

For 2012, the maximum weekly benefit is $368. 

For the standard 40 hr week, that is $9.20/hr.  I certainly hope you can find a LOT better paying job than that as an Engineer. (Even if you are electrical  Grin)

For someone a bit lower on the financial ladder, $9.20/hr might be attractive. I don't know offhand the qualifications for Maximum or reduced benefits but the principal is there.  Say your reduced benefits were $7.00/hr.  The job you can find is $8.00/hr.  In effect, you would be working for $1.00/hr.  I wouldn't want to work for $1.00/hr.

My dad actually ran into this perspective in the 70s.  He needed some manual labor for a few days and went to the labor pool.  The company was willing to pay a little more than the going rate and certainly more than minimum wage at the time.  (I don't remember the actual numbers though.)  Nobody wanted to operate a rake or shovel for the differential between unemployment (or maybe welfare at the time) and what the pay would have been.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2012, 08:07:40 pm »

For the standard 40 hr week, that is $9.20/hr.  I certainly hope you can find a LOT better paying job than that as an Engineer. (Even if you are electrical  Grin)

For someone a bit lower on the financial ladder, $9.20/hr might be attractive. I don't know offhand the qualifications for Maximum or reduced benefits but the principal is there.  Say your reduced benefits were $7.00/hr.  The job you can find is $8.00/hr.  In effect, you would be working for $1.00/hr.  I wouldn't want to work for $1.00/hr.

My dad actually ran into this perspective in the 70s.  He needed some manual labor for a few days and went to the labor pool.  The company was willing to pay a little more than the going rate and certainly more than minimum wage at the time.  (I don't remember the actual numbers though.)  Nobody wanted to operate a rake or shovel for the differential between unemployment (or maybe welfare at the time) and what the pay would have been.

I hope so, too.  I'll go back to driving a truck before someone is gonna sell products I design for millions a year while I get laid off.  Again.  (Makes me motivated to get even MORE patents for the company!!!  Not.)

That is the maximum - people making half what you make would probably only get half that.  About $4.50 per hour equivalent.  Actually, I am not sure where the max kicks in, but from people I know who have been there recently makes me think that someone who made about $50k per year gets max.  Anyone know for sure??

And one who was at about $34k per year - this was with overtime - only got about $145 a week.  That was about 4 years ago, and I don' t know how that is all calculated.  Needless to say, he wasn't sitting around waiting for that to end.  Calculated on base without overtime??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:38 pm »

Actually, not quite exactly.  The highly educated and highly skilled unemployment nationwide is about 4% and has been fairly constant throughout.  The big area where that DOES absolutely apply is in the over 50 group.  When you get old in this country, MUCH of corporate America does get rid of you.  Like the northeast Oklahoma company where the VP of HR got in front of a group of about 400 and told them the average age in the company was 42.  And they had to get that down....

And then the layoffs began....

Poetic justice - he was early 40's - and about 8 months later, was gone.

It's worse for the next generation:

Family Net Worth Drops to Level of Early ’90s, Fed Says
By BINYAMIN APPELBAUM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/business/economy/family-net-worth-drops-to-level-of-early-90s-fed-says.html?_r=1&hp
Published: June 11, 2012
WASHINGTON — The recent economic crisis left the median American family in 2010 with no more wealth than in the early 1990s, erasing almost two decades of accumulated prosperity, the Federal Reserve said Monday.
A hypothetical family richer than half the nation’s families and poorer than the other half had a net worth of $77,300 in 2010, compared with $126,400 in 2007, the Fed said. The crash of housing prices directly accounted for three-quarters of the loss.

Families’ income also continued to decline, a trend that predated the crisis but accelerated over the same period. Median family income fell to $45,800 in 2010 from $49,600 in 2007. All figures were adjusted for inflation.

The new data comes from the Fed’s much-anticipated release on Monday of its Survey of Consumer Finances, a report issued every three years that is one of the broadest and deepest sources of information about the financial health of American families.

While the numbers are already 18 months old, the survey illuminates problems that continue to slow the pace of the economic recovery. The Fed found that middle-class families had sustained the largest percentage losses in both wealth and income during the crisis, limiting their ability and willingness to spend.

“It fills in details to a picture that we already knew was quite ugly, and these details very much underscore that,” said Jared Bernstein, an economist at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities who served as an adviser to Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. “It makes clear how devastating this has been for the middle class.”

Given the scale of those losses, consumer spending has remained surprisingly resilient. The survey also illuminates where the money is coming from: American families saved less and only slowly repaid debts.

The share of families saving anything over the previous year fell to 52 percent in 2010 from 56.4 percent in 2007. Other government statistics show that total savings have increased since 2007, suggesting that a smaller group of families is saving more money, while a growing number manage to save nothing.

The survey also found a shift in the reasons that families set aside money, underscoring the lack of confidence that is weighing on the economy. More families said they were saving money as a precautionary measure, to make sure they had enough liquidity to meet short-term needs. Fewer said they were saving for retirement, or for education, or for a down payment on a home.

The report underscored the limited progress that households had made in reducing the amounts that they owed to lenders. The share of households reporting any debt declined by 2.1 percentage points over the last three years, but 74.9 percent of households still owed something, and the median amount did not change.

The decline in reported incomes could have increased the weight of those debts, tying up a larger share of families’ take-home pay. But one of the rare benefits of the crisis, historically lower interest rates, has helped to offset that effect. Families also have been able to reduce debt payments by refinancing into mortgages with longer terms and deferring repayment of student loans and other obligations.

The survey also confirmed that Americans are shifting the kinds of debts they carry. The share of families with credit card debt declined by 6.7 percentage points to 39.4 percent, and the median balance fell 16.1 percent to $2,600.

Families also reduced the number of credit cards that they carried, and 32 percent of families said they had no cards, up from 27 percent in 2007.

Conversely, the share of families with education-related debt rose to 19.2 percent in 2010 from 15.2 percent in 2007. The Fed noted that education loans made up a larger share of the average family’s obligations than loans to buy automobiles for the first time in the history of the survey.

The cumulative statistics concealed large disparities in the impact of the crisis.

Families with incomes in the middle 60 percent of the population lost a larger share of their wealth over the three-year period than the wealthiest and poorest families.

One basic reason for this disproportion is that the wealth of the middle class is mostly in housing, and the median amount of home equity dropped to $75,000 in 2010 from $110,000 in 2007. And while other forms of wealth have recovered much of the value lost in the crisis, housing prices have hardly budged.

Those middle-income families also lost a larger share of their income. The earnings of the median family in the bottom 20 percent of the income distribution actually increased from 2007 to 2010, in part because of the expansion of government aid programs during the recession. Wealthier families, which derive more income from investments, were also cushioned against the recession.

The data does provide the latest indication, however, that the recession reduced income inequality in the United States, at least temporarily. The average income of the wealthiest families fell much more sharply than the median, indicating that some of those at the very top of the ladder slipped down at least a few rungs.

Ranking American families by income, the top 10 percent of households still earned an average of $349,000 in 2010.

The average net worth of the same families was $2.9 million.

Show me the money...it's not in the middle and lower....the theory of home value appreciation should be buried. You buy a house for a home. The country went stupid when the elders failed to teach their children that fact.

Dow Jones:
1/26/01 -1/16/09: -22%
1/16/09 - today: +46%

Average annual change* under Bush = -2.75%
Average annual change* under Obama = +13.5%

*excluding dividends, which have been higher the past three years than during the prior eight
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:05:17 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:41 pm »

Overall standard of living in this country has been going down for 30 years.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2012, 10:07:27 pm »

Overall standard of living in this country has been going down for 30 years.

Well, only for the bottom 80%. The 10-20% cohort has stayed basically even, while the 10 percenters have been slowly gaining, although much of that is due to the 1 percenters and the .01 percenters.

I wish it were a Bush thing, then maybe we could get agreement it's an actual problem.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2012, 10:13:17 pm »

Well, only for the bottom 80%. The 10-20% cohort has stayed basically even, while the 10 percenters have been slowly gaining, although much of that is due to the 1 percenters and the .01 percenters.

I wish it were a Bush thing, then maybe we could get agreement it's an actual problem.

It has been a big problem for a long time.  Yep, way before Bush.  But notice he also did nothing to alleviate - none have.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2012, 07:36:22 am »

President Obama confuses me.  First he touts his record for slimming the federal government by reducing public sector jobs.  Then he says the private sector is doing fine.  Then he clarifies that by saying the economy is not doing fine because of decreases in employment in the public sector.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_ej4ALLyL5I[/youtube]

What he needs to do is employ more Democrat newspeak and just say "Increasing public sector jobs is the best way to shrink government."  His voters will eat that smile up!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:42:06 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2012, 07:39:27 am »

President Obama confuses me.  First he touts his record for sliming the federal government

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2012, 07:42:27 am »

Yeah, that too. Wink

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2012, 10:04:07 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCW9-MglCsw&feature=colike[/youtube]

Interesting to pull out a video from a fairly conservative (religious wise) southern mega church pastor.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2012, 10:46:22 am »

That is the maximum - people making half what you make would probably only get half that.  About $4.50 per hour equivalent.  Actually, I am not sure where the max kicks in, but from people I know who have been there recently makes me think that someone who made about $50k per year gets max.  Anyone know for sure??

And one who was at about $34k per year - this was with overtime - only got about $145 a week.  That was about 4 years ago, and I don' t know how that is all calculated.  Needless to say, he wasn't sitting around waiting for that to end.  Calculated on base without overtime??

Made just over $40k last year, lost job end of May... Weekly Benefit Amount $368.00... Maximum Benefit Amount $7700.00

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2012, 11:36:49 am »

Made just over $40k last year, lost job end of May... Weekly Benefit Amount $368.00... Maximum Benefit Amount $7700.00

Have you found something yet?

Good info to know.  Thanks!  So there have been some changes - sounds like 34k would get bigger weekly amount now.  All I know is that I don't want to go through it again. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org