A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:44:49 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Forward." as the new slogan.  (Read 16565 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:36 am »

boon? don't think she said that...support, maybe. Why do you think we haven't heard this lately? Could it be due to recent legislation or because it is an election season? I'm amazed how you think the demise of the middle class is in your best interest. But then again, you never support giving a hand up because you think it's a hand out. Kiss

There you go wandering around in my mind again making smile up.  Careful, it’s a dangerous neighborhood.  Cool

Hand ups and temporary assistance are great.  When I hear people bragging about not needing to “find a job just yet” because they can suckle the teat for 99 weeks, that pisses me off...

Sorry I can’t help it if I despise free-loaders.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:46 am »

There you go wandering around in my mind again making smile up.  Careful, it’s a dangerous neighborhood.  Cool

Hand ups and temporary assistance are great.  When I hear people bragging about not needing to “find a job just yet” because they can suckle the teat for 99 weeks, that pisses me off...

Sorry I can’t help it if I despise free-loaders.

Just wow. So, you don't think an individual's freedom allows them the right to patiently await the right opportunity to choose their right course? Instead, they should save the government the cost (how much does a single bomb cost?) and just hop onto the first job available. That strategy might work for some of the unemployed but a great number in our workforce that are unemployed are highly educated and highly skilled.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2012, 10:48:49 am »

Just wow. So, you don't think an individual's freedom allows them the right to patiently await the right opportunity to choose their right course? Instead, they should save the government the cost (how much does a single bomb cost?) and just hop onto the first job available. That strategy might work for some of the unemployed but a great number in our workforce that are unemployed are highly educated and highly skilled.

There is a difference in someone waiting for the right opportunity and simply refusing to go back to work because they can skate awhile.  Do you not realize that?  I personally know of a few people doing or who have done that exact thing- skated because there was no incentive for them to take jobs offered to them rather than take free money from the government. 

I certainly appreciate someone would want a job or career opportunity in line with their skills or knowledge.  That said, there’s nothing to keep someone from taking temp or PT work while they interview for whatever their education or training best suits them for.  Prospecting and interviewing isn’t a 40 hour a week occupation.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2012, 10:50:28 am »

So, you don't think an individual's freedom allows them the right to patiently await the right opportunity to choose their right course?

. . .he's been waiting on a management position.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2012, 11:33:58 am »

There is a difference in someone waiting for the right opportunity and simply refusing to go back to work because they can skate awhile.  Do you not realize that?  I personally know of a few people doing or who have done that exact thing- skated because there was no incentive for them to take jobs offered to them rather than take free money from the government.  

I certainly appreciate someone would want a job or career opportunity in line with their skills or knowledge.  That said, there’s nothing to keep someone from taking temp or PT work while they interview for whatever their education or training best suits them for.  Prospecting and interviewing isn’t a 40 hour a week occupation.

Good Dawg....you tend to generalize because you know some lazy dwarfs and assume everyone's the same. I too have known a few who fell back on subsidization, but you seem to overlook those that hide their cash flow while awaiting a better day making ends meet in the meantime with their family needs. A better day not being trickle down but building up. Tongue

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:35:32 am by Teatownclown » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2012, 12:24:20 pm »

Good Dawg....you tend to generalize because you know some lazy dwarfs and assume everyone's the same. I too have known a few who fell back on subsidization, but you seem to overlook those that hide their cash flow while awaiting a better day making ends meet in the meantime with their family needs. A better day not being trickle down but building up. Tongue

No I didn’t generalize that everyone who receives assistance is gaming the system.  I’m simply saying it can create an artificial net for people who really don’t need it or need near as much benefit as they are getting.  It’s pretty much impossible to police unfortunately. I’m also aware of people doing more than ample cash work while collecting benefits.  

Maybe I know the only three or four unemployment scammers there are, but I doubt it highly.

How do you feel about people receiving U/E benefits being required to do work for either a local, state, or federal agency x-amount of hours per week in exchange for benefits?  And I don’t just mean picking up trash, the government needs accountants, IT peeps, plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc.  

Having something productive to do every day is good for the human psyche.  Sitting around cruising job ads on the internet, not so much.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2012, 03:16:59 pm »

Saw on Drudge family net worth has dropped 40% in the last three years  Here's a new slogan for ya:

link to source.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/fed-americans-wealth-dropped-40-percent/2012/06/11/gJQAlIsCVV_story.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:11 pm »

Saw on Drudge family net worth has dropped 40% in the last three years  Here's a new slogan for ya:

link to source.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/fed-americans-wealth-dropped-40-percent/2012/06/11/gJQAlIsCVV_story.html

Where is TTAC to decry Obama’s war on the middle class?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2012, 03:22:12 pm »

That's racist!

Not sure why, but I'm sure it is!

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2012, 03:34:37 pm »

Graph tiem!

Looks more like 5% since the peak, with significant post Bush recovery.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2012, 03:40:53 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCW9-MglCsw&feature=colike[/youtube]

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2012, 03:54:37 pm »

Graph tiem!

Looks more like 5% since the peak, with significant post Bush recovery.

Awesome!  We're rolling in it!

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2012, 03:57:58 pm »

Improvement isn't real if it happens with a Democrat in office, eh?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2012, 06:52:09 pm »

Actually, not quite exactly.  The highly educated and highly skilled unemployment nationwide is about 4% and has been fairly constant throughout.  The big area where that DOES absolutely apply is in the over 50 group.  When you get old in this country, MUCH of corporate America does get rid of you.  Like the northeast Oklahoma company where the VP of HR got in front of a group of about 400 and told them the average age in the company was 42.  And they had to get that down....

And then the layoffs began....

Poetic justice - he was early 40's - and about 8 months later, was gone.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2012, 07:05:13 pm »

There is a difference in someone waiting for the right opportunity and simply refusing to go back to work because they can skate awhile.  Do you not realize that?  I personally know of a few people doing or who have done that exact thing- skated because there was no incentive for them to take jobs offered to them rather than take free money from the government. 

I certainly appreciate someone would want a job or career opportunity in line with their skills or knowledge.  That said, there’s nothing to keep someone from taking temp or PT work while they interview for whatever their education or training best suits them for.  Prospecting and interviewing isn’t a 40 hour a week occupation.

For 2012, the maximum weekly benefit is $368.  Up to a maximum of $7,700.  That is about 20 weeks.  So, if we extrapolate to 99 weeks (round it to 100 to make calcs easier), we have a factor of 5 times $7,700  = about $38,500 spread over two years.

The people you know who are bragging about waiting that out are either being supported by someone at least in part, or have savings enough to tide them over.  Either is an aberrant condition that the VAST majority of the tens of millions out of work do NOT enjoy.

I didn't take a McDonald's job so I could concentrate on the job search for engineering work.  And being over 50, it is double the difficulty.  You're in sales and know it is to make cold calls.  Do you make 8 to 10 a day?  I averaged 4 a day for about 10 months, which meant some days 0 and many days much more.  Not counting follow up calls.  Yuck  (For most engineering types, one or two a week is tough.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org