A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:54:53 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NewsOK: Downtown Tulsa transformation is under way  (Read 7086 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 04:02:07 pm »

We've been very lucky to have a low unemployment number.  For many firms in Tulsa the issues isn't job creation its talent recruitment.  Its that fact that makes developing our downtown into a more desirable location so important.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 04:24:28 pm »

Yep.

True on the employment front.  But on the positive side... if I can be self-serving for a minute...  Smiley Williams has grown significantly since the dark days of 2002 and has directly spun of two new energy companies that now call Tulsa home, Magellan Midstream and WPX Energy. 

ONEOK has also grown pretty significantly in the past 10 years, as has Helmerich & Payne.  There are many other smaller firms that have done well thanks to the shale gas boom.

Semgroup has recovered and is growing again, so much so that their board rejected a takeover offer from Plains last year and now they're building a new 200+ mile crude pipeline into Cushing.

Williams Communications (where I used to work) emerged from bankruptcy as WilTel and did very well before merging with Level 3.  They still have a good number of employees in OTC... most of my former colleagues who made it through the BK still work there.

American Airlines is certainly in a rough patch right now, but hopefully they will be better in the long run.

Obviously losing an employer like CITGO and the others that have left are bummers, but I just wanted to point out that many local companies, even some that have gone through some tough times, are doing quite well right now. 

Hopefully AA will come out on the other side of the BK as a stronger company with a better growth outlook.

Seems like someone mentioned the other day on here that BKEP (former SEM) is moving to OKC.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 08:10:57 pm »

Which OKC district names do you dislike?

"Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce, Automobile Alley, Bricktown, Arts District and central business district"

Bricktown is okay.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 11:04:43 pm »

Archer Market will be open soon. Stop by and check out the progress. Almost totally done with the build-out.

FYI

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:42:17 am »

I do find it impressive the amount of construction going on right now amidst the great recession.  I can only imagine how many projects will be possible when the economy starts moving again.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org