A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:55:16 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A bit of fun....  (Read 5891 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: April 26, 2012, 06:26:37 pm »

When we close the refrigerator door, how can we be certain the light is off?

Feel free to let loose your inner Rube Goldberg.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:46:03 pm »

When we close the refrigerator door, how can we be certain the light is off?

Feel free to let loose your inner Rube Goldberg.

Rube Goldberg takes time.  Modern refrigerator doors do not have a positive latch.  Empty enough out to fit yourself inside, get in and close the door. 

WARNING!  Do NOT attempt with an old refrigerator.

More in line with your request:

Start with a photo sensor.  Develop an interface with a wireless device.  Stringing wires is too simple.  Put a receiver outside the refrigerator.  Use the outside device to light or not light a bulb the same as the one inside the refrigerator.

Put a video camera inside the fridge.  Use a remote on/off device for the camera to sneak up on the bulb to make sure it isn't turning off and on by itself. 

Sorry I can't come up with something more Rube Goldbergy on short notice.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:08 pm »

Drill a hole through the door, side, or roof.  Stick a cork in it to keep the cold air from escaping.

Sounds like ol’ Rube to me.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:56:40 am »

All I know about refrigerators is that according to Indiana Jones hiding in one during a nearby nuclear detonation will protect you.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:40:07 am »

Drill a hole through the door, side, or roof.  Stick a cork in it to keep the cold air from escaping.

Sounds like ol’ Rube to me.

Nope, too simple.  It needs to be a complex system to do a simple job.

http://www.rubegoldberg.com/

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:41:43 am by Red Arrow » Logged

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:20:18 pm »

I start the sequence by moving my hand towards the door, my hand makes contact with the door making it swing towards the closed position.  The negative force on my hand spins my body so that my opposing hand comes up near the body of the fridge, placing my pinky finger in the way of the closing door.  The closing door comes in contact with the switch just before it comes to a rest on my pinky tip, leaving just enough of an opening to show that the light has turned off.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:33:35 pm »

I start the sequence by moving my hand towards the door, my hand makes contact with the door making it swing towards the closed position.  The negative force on my hand spins my body so that my opposing hand comes up near the body of the fridge, placing my pinky finger in the way of the closing door.  The closing door comes in contact with the switch just before it comes to a rest on my pinky tip, leaving just enough of an opening to show that the light has turned off.

Do you have some music for that refrigerator ballet?

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:45:40 pm »

Do you have some music for that refrigerator ballet?
Why yes, I prefer Koriv's Coppelia par de duex
http://www.classicalballetmusic.com/web-kirovcoppelia/coppelia2-kirov-8.mp3
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:00:36 pm »

You read too many Harlequin romance novels.  I’m surprised the compressor wasn’t quivering at your deft touch.  Kiss

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:39:39 am »

I'd mount a photocell inside the refrigerator and run its leads out through a small hole in the wall to a triggering circuit and relay.  When the photocell detected the absence of light, it would trip the relay and illuminate a bare-chested photo of me on the far end of the kitchen.  Our maid, comely of appearance and tight of bodice, would see the photo, and gasp loudly.  To do so, she would be forced to inhale deeply, causing a button to pop off the aforementioned tight bodice. Our cat would pounce on the button and the bell attached to her collar would alert me that the light was out.  I could then proceed with emergency repairs to the previously described bodice until She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed clubbed me senseless with any nearby heavy object. 

How's that for a Rube Goldberg/Harlequin mashup?

BTW, Harlequin is looking for writers: http://www.harlequin.com/store.html?cid=535  I'm looking for writing gigs, but there are a couple of things I won't do.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 11:51:16 am »

You read too many Harlequin romance novels.  I’m surprised the compressor wasn’t quivering at your deft touch.  Kiss
hmmm... the things I could have done with that description if I had been thinking along these lines
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org