A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:17:25 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBQ Ribs Throwdown  (Read 16566 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: April 22, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

Making several racks of ribs tonight using various rubs. Gassy vs. Gates. Will report outcome later.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:57:49 pm »

Making several racks of ribs tonight using various rubs. Gassy vs. Gates. Will report outcome later.

I used the same amount of rub, cooked at the same temperature, for the same time, wrapped in the same amount of foil, and in the same oven. I have lately been steering away from smoking or grilling since--just to me-it has a tendency to take over rather than complement the meat. Here are the results....

Votes:     

Gassy (Smokin Spice):    6  (includes .5 vote for each 6 y/o)

Gates  (Original):            1  (includes .5 vote for each 6 y/o)

Although dinner is not over, there are not enough votes for Gates to catch up.  For me, Smokin Spice had far better caramelization than Gates with more distinct spices. This is no sleight on Gates; however. Their "entry" was very good as well--just Gassy's was superior.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:18:58 am »

I'm glad we did well!  Love it when folks take the "3 Guys Challenge!"

Gates is a good rub on brisket.  Even their pork rub is better on beef than pork.  It's really high in celery seed (dusted) which makes the meat nitrolize.  I am personally not a fan because of the cumin.  Lots of rubs use cumin and it is typically a better spice on beef or chicken than it is on pork.  When it's used on pork, for some reason, it takes on the smell of a sweaty carney.

What sauce, if any, did you serve with them?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:23:50 am »

I'm glad we did well!  Love it when folks take the "3 Guys Challenge!"

Gates is a good rub on brisket.  Even their pork rub is better on beef than pork.  It's really high in celery seed (dusted) which makes the meat nitrolize.  I am personally not a fan because of the cumin.  Lots of rubs use cumin and it is typically a better spice on beef or chicken than it is on pork.  When it's used on pork, for some reason, it takes on the smell of a sweaty carney.

What sauce, if any, did you serve with them?

On the Gates entry, I put on Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous sauce. Yours didn't require much, but I used a bit of the Rendezvous and Head Country Hot.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:03 am »

On the Gates entry, I put on Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous sauce. Yours didn't require much, but I used a bit of the Rendezvous and Head Country Hot.

Sounds like you appreciate a "dry" (unglazed) rib.  Me too, but I also like "wet" ribs, and that is the preferred competition style.

Next time, try your ribs with Smokin' Spice and use a little of the Smokin' Razz Bold & Spicy.  They are designed to complement each other.

Scott Cherry of the Tulsa World called it a "highly addictive" combination.

This is the way we do it.  You save some of the juices from your wrap, and then add about 50% drippings 50% Razz B&S and mix.  The last 30-40 minutes of cooking, remove the ribs from the foil and mop with the mixture.  That produces a fantastic glaze.  Allow about 5-10 minutes to cool before slicing, and that glaze will jell just a bit.  

Now, if you want more punch, and more of a "Memphis" flavor, use the Smokin' Blues as the glaze (no drippings).  Because it's vinegar based, it's going to have a brighter flavor, and seeing as you don't really like to smoke your ribs, it may offer a better flavor profile.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »

Sounds like you appreciate a "dry" (unglazed) rib.  Me too, but I also like "wet" ribs, and that is the preferred competition style.

Next time, try your ribs with Smokin' Spice and use a little of the Smokin' Razz Bold & Spicy.  They are designed to complement each other.

Scott Cherry of the Tulsa World called it a "highly addictive" combination.

This is the way we do it.  You save some of the juices from your wrap, and then add about 50% drippings 50% Razz B&S and mix.  The last 30-40 minutes of cooking, remove the ribs from the foil and mop with the mixture.  That produces a fantastic glaze.  Allow about 5-10 minutes to cool before slicing, and that glaze will jell just a bit.  

Now, if you want more punch, and more of a "Memphis" flavor, use the Smokin' Blues as the glaze (no drippings).  Because it's vinegar based, it's going to have a brighter flavor, and seeing as you don't really like to smoke your ribs, it may offer a better flavor profile.

Will do. I really really try to buy local to support the community...and it doesn't hurt when the local product rocks out. Still, I do buy from out of state to get a sense of their flavors. I am HOOKED on Rendezvous sauce. I could eat that slathered on anything as it instantly turns it into awesomeness.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:42:55 pm »

I’ll turn you on to some of my caribbean style blend rib rub, Guido.  I’ll put a little extra heat in it for you as well.  We’ve been doing those lately and loving the results.

No knock on 3GS at all, just the style we’ve been enjoying.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »

I’ll turn you on to some of my caribbean style blend rib rub, Guido.  I’ll put a little extra heat in it for you as well.  We’ve been doing those lately and loving the results.

No knock on 3GS at all, just the style we’ve been enjoying.

I'm liking the "turn you on" imagery. Oh, wait....Seriously, you know I love the Caribbean and the heat. I also know from FB your success rate with your blend.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:56:18 pm »

And thanks to a good friend of mine, I know have a private stash of Carib Beer to wash down those tasty ribs.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 01:19:07 am »

Just need a thread to post this S&W 500 smoker:

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 08:57:28 am »

Thats some quality design work. Very well done.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:11 am »

Just need a thread to post this S&W 500 smoker:

Not sure how that would be functional.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 09:53:23 am »

If the smoke comes out the end of the barrel, then that is awesome!

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 09:57:16 am »

Or if it blasts a brisket out like a potato gun.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 10:01:43 am »

Here's the story...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/bbq-grill-modeled-smoking-500-magnum-revolver-171050053.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org