A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:10:36 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black's BBQ On-Line  (Read 10319 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: April 15, 2012, 10:12:43 pm »

Folks in here know that I buy foods from restaurants all across the country that I will probably never get to because of location. I must say, without a question, the best, BEST I have eaten was the barbecue beef ribs from Black's. I luckily found a "rack" at the bottom of my deep freezer and had it for dinner today. I never had anything close to that knockout flavor with what must have been a 1/2 in. smoke ring--especially after I poured on a little BBQ sauce from Charles Vergos' "Rendezvous" in Memphis. Suffice to say I just ordered an @ss load more.

http://www.blacksbbq.com/default.aspx

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:53:44 am »

You got plenty of money...go buy a NuWa travel trailer, a Dodge diesel to pull it, and take your kids camping, for crying out loud!!  All over the country!!!!!  From the way you talk, they are the right age to be reasonably self-sufficient as far as taking care of their own needs.  May and September - you miss the kids that are out of school, and your kids won't miss much if they miss a few days.

Go to those places you buy food from - why live vicariously through FedEx, when you can go there yourself and sit down and savor the experience yourself?  Barbeque in Memphis - there is a really great one on east side of town!  Also, a really good place to get skillet fried chicken - home made style!  Yum.

Oregon coast - visit the salmon cannery where they can the fish YOU, or your kids catch!  Plus, just a few miles south, tour the Humboldt Redwoods - drive through a tree!

Two weeks (or more!) at a time so can easily and casually travel to the edges of the country!  And NEVER fly there with them - it misses the whole space between here and there!  Take the time off - you can afford it - and do the "bonding" thing with them.  

"See the USA, in your Chevrolet..."  (jingle from the '60s - google it).

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:51:00 am »

"See the USA, in your Chevrolet..."  (jingle from the '60s - google it).

Dinah Shore

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:33 am »

I already travel quite a bit. Heir, I dare say more than most in this forum. Besides, I've seen "Vacation" and the family truckster experience is not in my playbook.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:51:26 am »

Speaking of frozen ribs-

My younger daughter’s competition cheer team sold ribs as a fund-raiser.  Last year one of the parents did them and they were pretty good, this year, they got Lovera’s from Krebs.

Not impressed at all.  Rather dry, rub isn’t impressive, smoke flavor is so-so.  Fortunately I had some of Conan’s rib sauce on hand to help make it a better meal.  Now the bad part- I’ve still got 3 1/2 racks to chew through eventually.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:21:19 am »

Believe it or not, most smoked meats make a fantastic packeged and preserved product.  Part of what we teach in our classes is how to cook today and eat next week.  This is particularly important when you are planning for the holidays and don't want to spend 14 hrs the day before Superbowl making pulled pork or ribs for 40.  

The key is to have a vacuum sealer and seal the product as soon as you remove it from the smoker.  With ribs, we prefer to take them off about 30 min before they are done to provide for re-heating.  Bringing the packaged product back to heat slowly is important.  The cooling and reheating process can actually help enhance the texture of the meat if done right.

More and more at the competitions we are seeing teams employ a cold rest time before final glaze and cooking.  Teams are starting the cooking process for briskets and pork butts and even ribs as soon as the meat inspection is over, then they will refridgerate over night, and fire up the smoker again the morning before judging to reheat and glaze the product.

We have done lots of "pre-packaged" product for caterers and golf courses, country clubs, churches, and even restauraunts around town who may be/have great chefs but have little or no knowledge how to make good BBQ.  We deliver the meat days before the event and provide instructions on reheating.  As part of the deal, no one knows that 3 Guys was responsible for the meat.  One company even purchased a smoker, so that the boss could use it to re-heat about 150 lbs of ribs and chicken and look like a pro.

Smoked meats are one of the few meat products that you can throw in a freezer without changing the flavor or texture too much.  So next time you're doing a rack of ribs or chicken on the smoker, do 5 or 6 of them and throw them in the freezer.  If you have a local BBQ joint that offers a "cryo" product, don't think of it as inferior.  If you re-heat it correctly, you may not be able to tell the difference.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:29:21 am »

Just got back from Nashville, had some ribs in on Music Row.  I wish those who made the decision on which restaurant we were going to eat in would have considered the fact that there might be a reason the other BBQ place had a line, and the one we went to didn't.  Horrible ribs.  It's like they had a gas flame and they just threw the ribs as close to it as they could and left them there until the outside was completely black. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:36:42 am »

Believe it or not, most smoked meats make a fantastic packeged and preserved product.  Part of what we teach in our classes is how to cook today and eat next week.  This is particularly important when you are planning for the holidays and don't want to spend 14 hrs the day before Superbowl making pulled pork or ribs for 40.  

The key is to have a vacuum sealer and seal the product as soon as you remove it from the smoker.  With ribs, we prefer to take them off about 30 min before they are done to provide for re-heating.  Bringing the packaged product back to heat slowly is important.  The cooling and reheating process can actually help enhance the texture of the meat if done right.

More and more at the competitions we are seeing teams employ a cold rest time before final glaze and cooking.  Teams are starting the cooking process for briskets and pork butts and even ribs as soon as the meat inspection is over, then they will refridgerate over night, and fire up the smoker again the morning before judging to reheat and glaze the product.

We have done lots of "pre-packaged" product for caterers and golf courses, country clubs, churches, and even restauraunts around town who may be/have great chefs but have little or no knowledge how to make good BBQ.  We deliver the meat days before the event and provide instructions on reheating.  As part of the deal, no one knows that 3 Guys was responsible for the meat.  One company even purchased a smoker, so that the boss could use it to re-heat about 150 lbs of ribs and chicken and look like a pro.

Smoked meats are one of the few meat products that you can throw in a freezer without changing the flavor or texture too much.  So next time you're doing a rack of ribs or chicken on the smoker, do 5 or 6 of them and throw them in the freezer.  If you have a local BBQ joint that offers a "cryo" product, don't think of it as inferior.  If you re-heat it correctly, you may not be able to tell the difference.

I always finish mine in foil either on the smoker or in an oven, and if I still have time before the meal, I’ll let it sit in an empty ice chest and get even more happy and tender.  I seem to have better “fall off the bone” results doing it that way.

Lately, I’ve been more into cooking island-style baby backs on the Weber than anything else.  I apply my home-made jerk seasoning, wrap the ribs in foil, cook them off heat for about 1:15, then unwrap them, throw some cherry wood chunks on the coals and baste them with the jerk BBQ sauce MC and I came up with until the sauce is nicely caramelized- about 15 to 20 minutes.  Also picks up a nice light smoke note.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 04:54:53 pm »

I already travel quite a bit. Heir, I dare say more than most in this forum. Besides, I've seen "Vacation" and the family truckster experience is not in my playbook.

I believe you.  Trips with many stops along the way can really build some memories that kids will talk about for decades.  All the kids talk about the different trips (all camping - some with tent, some in trailer) we took when they were younger - as do the grandkids now.  Never had the "big destination" thing, but LOTS of destinations.  The boy still talks about the trip he and I took to Sturgis when he was 18...it beat him up pretty good, but at 40+, he still says it's the best vacation he ever had...

It takes a little bit of practice, but the caricature of "Vacation" is just that - plus, don't take an aunt along on the roof!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:46 am »

I believe you.  Trips with many stops along the way can really build some memories that kids will talk about for decades.  All the kids talk about the different trips (all camping - some with tent, some in trailer) we took when they were younger - as do the grandkids now.  Never had the "big destination" thing, but LOTS of destinations.  The boy still talks about the trip he and I took to Sturgis when he was 18...it beat him up pretty good, but at 40+, he still says it's the best vacation he ever had...

It takes a little bit of practice, but the caricature of "Vacation" is just that - plus, don't take an aunt along on the roof!

I have very fond memories of those trips with my parents.  We are in the process of doing that with our kids.  We have several travel/camp trips scheduled this year and in July we are taking them to "Denver," however, once in the Denver airport when they ask why we are boarding another plane, we intend to tell them we've been diverted to Disney World in Orlando. 

We went to Disney Land last year, now to Disney World, and in October we take them on a Disney Cruse.  I think they're going to be sick of Mickey by the end of this year!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:11:36 am »

I have very fond memories of those trips with my parents.  We are in the process of doing that with our kids.  We have several travel/camp trips scheduled this year and in July we are taking them to "Denver," however, once in the Denver airport when they ask why we are boarding another plane, we intend to tell them we've been diverted to Disney World in Orlando. 

We went to Disney Land last year, now to Disney World, and in October we take them on a Disney Cruse.  I think they're going to be sick of Mickey by the end of this year!

We did the camping thing growing up, so many of fondest memories are from those times, too.  So, have tried to do that to the kids.  And now they do it to their kids, too.

We did Mickey once - Orlando - and it was good, but it isn't the trip the kids talk about the most.  Several are talked about more.  And one set of grandkids talk more about the tornado we went through on way to Silver Dollar City than the time at the park.  Go figure...they like chasing storms almost as much as I.  The roller coasters were pretty anti-climatic after the wild ride on the Will Rogers Turnpike!

My grandfather taught me as a kid how to go jigging for frogs with a fishing jig on a foot of line tied to the end of a pole.  Then we got to eat them - frogs are good!!  Taught the kids how to do that on one trip, and thought that would just keep them out of my hair for a while so could rest after day of driving with 4 kids in the back seat.  Then the little brats brought back a bucket with about 2 dozen bullfrogs!  So we had to clean and cook.  Fantastic dinner!  They talk to their kids about it even now.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 04:01:01 pm »

I think they're going to be sick of Mickey by the end of this year!

I would gladly be sick of Mickey given that this is what I turned around and came face-to-face with on my first cruise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUr__-VZeQ

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:19 pm »

Just as long as Mickey doesn’t try to slip...

Nevermind.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org