A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:22:39 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Digital Camera Shop in Tulsa.  (Read 15631 times)
erfalf
City Father

« on: April 14, 2012, 06:32:58 pm »

In the market for a digital camera (SLR, finally making the jump to something a little more professional than my little pocket Canon). I always noticed the Wolf shop on Lewis & 21st, but now it's closed. Are there any camera shops in town, with knowledgeable staff that anyone would recommend? I tried looking online and it seems there is only one place (still open) by Woodland Hills but I'm not sure what kind of equipment they even carry (if any). Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

I believe Aperture is still open on Harvard just north of 21st and I seem to remember the former moto photo down at 81st or 91st and Harvard having some camera gear. The selection at all of the above sucks compared to what you can get online, though. It's a pain in the butt, because I much prefer to support local businesses whenever possible, but when freakin' Best Buy has more SLRs than camera shops, what are you going to do?

I strongly suggest holding a few in your hand before making a decision, though. I can't stand the grip on the Canon SLRs and the small Nikon SLRs are too small to be comfortable to my hands. If you like them both and you have friends that have a bunch of lenses for a given mount, buy that one. Good lenses are the expensive part, bodies are relatively cheap.

If you have the funds, I'd suggest a Nikon body with the 18-200mm VR lens. It is absolutely the most versatile single lens you can get that still has decent quality.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:05:46 pm »

Well, that's why I asked. I like to support locally (if the price is reasonable and the service is worth supporting). I just couldn't believe that there really isn't a specialty shop for this sort of thing. Are there just not that many of us that would do that instead of cave to Amazon. Heck, they're even putting Best Buy out of business (and Barnes & Noble/Borders/Ultimate Electronics/etc.).

I think we have decided on a Nikon, just not sure which model (how much $). Would have been nice to get some expert advice, especially with lenses. What a shame. With digital photography becoming more and more popular and high end cameras getting to where novices like myself are considering purchase, it seems like a decent place to be.

I remember when I had a saltwater aquarium there were probably about a dozen or so shops that supplied that sort of thing in the Tulsa metro. As far as I know, there are only a couple now (I'm only sure of the one on 61st & Sheridan actually). I guess it would seem that those hobbies that cost a little more than others aren't as popular as they used to be.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:06:41 pm »

Oh, and thanks for the tip. Couldn't really tell online if Aperture's sold gear or not.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:19:08 pm »

Oh, and thanks for the tip. Couldn't really tell online if Aperture's sold gear or not.

I think they do. It's been a while since I've been in there. I know for sure the place at Woodland Hills does (or did when I was living out that way).

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »

I don't think you can go wrong with either Camera Gallery or Apertures for quality service and knowledgeable sales people.  I would make one suggestion, and that's to consider taking a basic photo class.  Apertures offers them, but I'm not sure about Camera Gallery.  You'll learn how to use all the features on your new camera and some basic techniques that will be the basis for further learning.

I learned with all manual 35mm and medium format film cameras, and began playing with vintage 35mm rangefinders a few years ago.  When the time came to move up from my Kodak 1285, I chose an Olympus Pen rather than a DSLR.  It has the same functions in a smaller, lighter package. 

Sensor size is important in any digital camera.  If you select a camera with a full size sensor, lenses designed for smaller sensors probably will not work.  The older Canon EOS lenses are incompatible with larger sensors, if I remember right.  The Pen uses a Micro 4/3rds sensor that's about a third smaller than a full size one, but that allows for smaller, lighter lenses.  Olympus just introduced a DSLR based on the 4/3 sensor, and other companies will undoubtedly follow. 

Sensor size is entirely different from megapixels.  The physical size of the sensor influences the amount of noise in images as you go to higher ISO settings.  Noise appears as colored specks in the darkest portions of an image, much like the grain in film becomes more apparent with faster film.

Here are some links to photo tutorials:

Cambridge in Colour: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Digital Photography School: http://digital-photography-school.com/

Pixiq: http://www.pixiq.com/

There are lots more.  I like Cambridge because it starts with the basics.  The other two presume some knowledge of photography, but they also give a good overview of the possibilities.

Please let us know what you decide and post some photos!  Here's one from earlier today, for instance. It's reduced in size.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:28:54 pm »

Apertures has gear, and can help you order what you need if they don't have it. Great service.

Thank you,
Robert Town
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:58 pm »

OMG I so want that car.   Shocked

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:22:50 pm »

OMG I so want that car.   Shocked

It was gorgeous.  Go look at the bigger photos on my G+ page:

https://plus.google.com/photos/114874700548780474647/albums/5655968976358188353

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org