A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:48:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Summer Vacation Thread  (Read 37670 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 09:03:36 am »

Just getting practice for the DR next month. Oh wait, that isn't anywhere near far enough south.

Drink a case or four of Presidente for me.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 09:21:24 am »

Can someone tell me what the appeal of tropical environments is?  I'm not trying to troll or anything.  I've just never understood why it is that people would want to languish on a beach.  I'd rather go see paris or rome or NYC et al.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 09:35:53 am »

Can someone tell me what the appeal of tropical environments is?  I'm not trying to troll or anything.  I've just never understood why it is that people would want to languish on a beach.  I'd rather go see paris or rome or NYC et al.

Get up and rush to see things or feel as though you missed out vs get up, put on your suit, walk down to the bar, grab a drink and watch the shoreline and bikinis walk by.

I do both.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:22 am »

There’s something relaxing about the wind blowing through palm leaves and the sound of the ocean.  I love the mountains and the tropics.  I’ve also traveled Europe, there’s simply nothing there which compels me like the natural beauty of a vast mountain wilderness or the simplicity of sipping a drink with a sea breeze blowing in.  

I tend to avoid areas which attract thousands of tourists on any given day.  When I ski, I prefer Wolf Creek because there’s never more than 1000 people on the slopes when I go.  I prefer the BVI over a place like Cancun because it’s not as heavily traveled and it’s not a college party environment.  The place I've stayed on Anegada since 2005 doesn’t issue room keys because there’s no one to steal from you.  There’s maybe 400 people tops on Anegada on any given day, it’s the size of Manhattan Island.  Another place we stayed this year was Saba Rock, a 1 1/2 acre island with 12 guest rooms, a great restaurant and a bar.

Off the beaten path I guess is my preferred place to visit.  Don’t get me wrong, soaking up the history and culture of a Boston, NYC, London, Paris, Rome, etc. is a truly cool experience, just not my first choice for travel these days.

Rainbow over Great Bay, Jost Van Dyke, BVI

Sunset, Anegada BVI from Neptune’s Treasure Dining Area

Sunset over Anegada Anchorage from Potter’s By The Sea Bar

If this doesn’t look relaxing, I don’t know what does.  View from the front door of our suite on Saba Rock BVI

View across the same courtyard

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 11:44:33 am »

I can languish on a beach for a while but there are other things to do.  Walking around on the beach watching the birds (feathered variety) and other animals (keep your mind out of the gutter) is fun too.  An afternoon fishing from a pier or on a boat is fun.  Snorkeling over the reefs just off the Florida Keys is something you won't see in NYC.  Many are shallow enough that you don't need SCUBA gear.  Rent a small sailboat like a Sunfish.  Even if you can't sail, you can still make the boat go and enjoy the water.  A little farther inland on Maui are tropical rainforests and dry, almost desert areas.  Cool looking plants.  Visti some museums of what the island life was like before so many tourists.  Surfing.  I took a one day lesson and got a stand up ride (their next lesson free if you can't do it the first day) in some small waves.  Watching the kite boarders and real surfers on the north shore.  Smelling the salty ocean air instead of diesel exhaust.   Not necessarily tropical, driving to the top of Haleakala (big volcano on Maui) and walking down the path in the crater.  Coming back out was a bit more challenging being up hill at nearly 10,000 feet above sea level. 

I can also enjoy a visit to the city.  I have walked the Freedom Trail in Boston.  Seen the Boston Pops on the 4th of July in person (1981) and the Boston Aquarium.  My cousin and I had dinner at a restaurant on the water where the working boat people ate.  My cousin was into whale watching at the time.  Casual atire, oilcloth table cloths, BYO wine but the food was great. 

I grew up near Philly (everyone here probably knows that by now) about 15 miles from downtown.  I could get there by public transit, real trolley and El/subway.  I didn't go often but there were field trips during my school days to the Franklin Institute and other museums.  I also remember a trip to one of the local daily newspapers.  I visited the Olympia steam ship and I kind of remember being on a WWII type submarine.

Something like Times Square on New Year's Eve is not for me though.  Way toooooo crowded.

For each his/her own.

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »

For each his/her own.

Agreed.  I'm more of a cold weather guy.  Not to mention, If I were to sun myself on a beach, people would start yelling "Keep his skin wet until we can get him back in the water."

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 01:41:03 pm »

If I were to sun myself on a beach, people would start yelling "Keep his skin wet until we can get him back in the water."

I was on a beach in Mexico and a pelican pooped on me.

Pelican poop smells like fish.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 01:53:43 pm »

I was on a beach in Mexico and a pelican pooped on me.

Pelican poop smells like fish.

T manages to find the line and pole vault right over it once again. Kudos. And Jacobi is crazy. Nothing better than enjoying the beach... I remember my last visit to Jamaica like it was yesterday.

Thanks for the pics Conan. Is that place more for couples than families though?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 01:59:59 pm »

Nothing better than enjoying the beach... I remember my last visit to Jamaica like it was yesterday.

Jamaica is great but I agree with you.  Stay on the compound at night.  Daytime, travel with pals.  Maybe bigger, slower pals.

The cliff at Rick's was a great jump.  When I sobered up and found the bruises I remembered much of the rest of the trip to Ocho Rios on the bus.  Sweet gumbo, the Rastas had some freaking christmas trees for sale.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »

T manages to find the line and pole vault right over it once again. Kudos. And Jacobi is crazy. Nothing better than enjoying the beach... I remember my last visit to Jamaica like it was yesterday.

Thanks for the pics Conan. Is that place more for couples than families though?

Depends on what the family likes to do.  Saba Rock is just across a narrow channel from Bitter End Yacht Club which is very family-friendly with a lot of on-land and on the water activities.  Check out BEYC’s web page for more info.

There’s really nothing to do on Saba Rock except

1) Do nothing (main reason we stayed there)
2) Eat
3) Drink

Anegada might be fun for the kids for a day or two if they like the beach and you have stuff to entertain them, or enjoy a day long jeep ride over sandy roads and coral trails doing an impromptu eco-tour.   You can also hire a guide for bone fishing which I hear is a lot of fun.

You might also consider doing a week on a chartered sail boat with your own captain.  That gives you a lot of options and would be a unique experience for the kids.  Check The Moorings, Footloose Charters, or simply Google: Sailboat Charter, BVI and you will get some good results.

Or if you had $53K per night to spend for the exclusive use of Necker Island, that’s always an option:

http://www.neckerisland.virgin.com/

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 02:09:34 pm »

You might also consider doing a week on a chartered sail boat with your own captain.  That gives you a lot of options and would be a unique experience for the kids.  Check The Moorings, Footloose Charters, or simply Google: Sailboat Charter, BVI and you will get some good results.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 02:12:37 pm »

Drink a case or four of Presidente for me.

I certainly will, if I can find time in between the cuba libres. I'll also see if I can find any Carib, since you say it's so good. What's the over/under on a Presidente that's been sitting in my fridge for 10 months still being any good? Wink

As far as beach goes, I'm spending 15 days in the DR, and only 7 nights at the beach resort, but how the hell am I supposed to resist $20/pp/pn all inclusive when they have decent enough food and they keep the Brugal and Presidente flowing at all times? Wink

Seriously, though, Santo Domingo is a very interesting place. Lots of history, lots of poverty, and lots of fancy-schmancy shopping. It's like NYC before they started rousting the poor people. Traffic is a freakin' nightmare, though. I wish they'd finish the Metro. One of the planned stations would be rather convenient to where we stay.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 02:33:21 pm »

As far as beach goes, I'm spending 15 days in the DR, and only 7 nights at the beach resort, but how the hell am I supposed to resist $20/pp/pn all inclusive when they have decent enough food and they keep the Brugal and Presidente flowing at all times? Wink

And probably flying there on rewards points? 

You are my kind of tightwad!

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »

And probably flying there on rewards points? 

Nah, those (and the pile of Hilton points) are for the Maldives. Can't get a good enough mile/dollar rate in the Caribbean. I can get 15c a mile redemption going to the Maldives. Good thing, too, since a first class round trip is around $22000 and involves two overnight flights. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 06:09:41 pm »

Agreed.  I'm more of a cold weather guy.  Not to mention, If I were to sun myself on a beach, people would start yelling "Keep his skin wet until we can get him back in the water."

I used to like to go backpack hiking on the Appalachian Trail (nearby then) in the winter when I was in my early 20s.  No bears and snakes but still too cold.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org