A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:10:37 pm
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Public Schools Spending  (Read 283218 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #390 on: October 03, 2014, 11:29:42 pm »

Picture this. School-age children with rumbling tummies move their styrofoam trays in an orderly lunch line. It’s Tuesday, and at Uintah Elementary School in Salt Lake City that means one thing for excited youngsters: pizza day. Students fill their trays with deep-dish pepperoni slices and napa salad and head to the lunch lady for checkout.

That’s when tragedy struck for about 40 of Utah’s smallest residents, according to The Salt Lake Tribune. If a student’s lunch money account wasn’t paid up, the cafeteria workers were instructed to confiscate the child’s lunch. Because of sanitary issues the lunch couldn’t be given to another student, so it was thrown away instead, while a hungry child watched.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/30/the-schools-that-starve-students-to-punish-deadbeat-parents.html

That was such successful PR, we had to repeat it here, at Memorial HS:

A woman is accusing a local school of forcing her daughter to go hungry, despite having money to pay for lunch.
 “Takes her plate of food and throws it in the garbage. And I’m like, 'What?'” said Robbye Goddard, whose daughter was denied lunch at school.

Goddard reached out to FOX23 after a lunch server allegedly told her daughter a computer glitch erased records of what students get free and reduced lunch, throwing her food out because she didn’t have money for the full price.

“What would it hurt, even if there was a glitch in the system, for her to take her name, take her money, ya know, write it down and let her eat,” said Goddard.
“They’re looking into their policy about throwing food away in front of children, not that they threw the food away, but in front of the kids,” she said.

http://www.fox23.com/news/news/local/mother-says-tps-free-lunch-policy-needs-be-changed/nhbm5/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #391 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:33 am »

Throwing money at the schools thinking to solve all the problems won't work- it makes things worse. Dooland wants to do just that.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #392 on: October 07, 2014, 09:36:07 am »

Throwing money at the schools thinking to solve all the problems won't work- it makes things worse. Dooland wants to do just that.

Let's see your plan to solve the problems.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #393 on: October 07, 2014, 10:19:30 am »

I second Townsend.... make a rational, reasoned, thought out (doesn't even have to be well thought out...) statement of how you would fix the problems...!!   

I gotta see this....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #394 on: October 07, 2014, 10:36:44 am »

Stop talking to sauerkraut.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #395 on: October 08, 2014, 05:57:54 am »

Stop talking to sauerkraut.

Awww...come on.... you're no fun any more!!

But you are right - gotta get off that mess.

Thread drift moment - did I miss the tire event this year?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #396 on: October 08, 2014, 09:41:15 am »

The biggest school problem -as is the case in many cities- is the school system is top heavy far too many people in administration with do-nothing jobs bring home huge paychecks, cut back on administration and hire teachers. Some of the schools that spend the most money per student churn out the worst students Washington DC is one example. Throwing money at the problem has never solved any problem it just makes it worse.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:43:44 am by sauerkraut » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #397 on: October 08, 2014, 09:51:19 am »

The biggest school problem -as is the case in many cities- is the school system is top heavy far too many people in administration with do-nothing jobs bring home huge paychecks, cut back on administration and hire teachers. Some of the schools that spend the most money per student churn out the worst students Washington DC is one example. Throwing money at the problem has never solved any problem it just makes it worse.

While I can’t argue with the point about top-heavy administration, lack of parental participation is the biggest hurdle to education these days.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2014, 01:21:14 pm »

While I can’t argue with the point about top-heavy administration, lack of parental participation is the biggest hurdle to education these days.
Parental participation is good but in todays world it's not always practical- today many times both parents work have no time for their kids and sometimes the parents just don't care- or there are one-parent households, divorces, kids being raised by grandparents and things like that. It's a mess out there in the world of Parents participation.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #399 on: October 13, 2014, 10:45:10 am »

Imho, it's wrong to start the discussion with, or have the majority of the discussion be about, "more money or less money".

I think it would be wiser to start with... 

1.  What needs to be done and why?
2.  Whats the best and most efficient/cost effective way to do it?
3.  Fund that.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #400 on: October 13, 2014, 10:46:04 am »

lack of parental participation is the biggest hurdle to education these days.

I think most people could agree to that.  The trick is, how do you propose fixing that?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #401 on: October 13, 2014, 11:07:49 am »

Saying parental participation is all that is needed is a cop-out. I agree it is the most important thing, but it isn't just an Oklahoma problem. Other states have the same lack of parental involvement and are doing better than Oklahoma. We do all we can including me serving on the foundation board for my kid's school and my wife is PTA president. I also have mentored and taught chess one hour per week at another school.

It is really about funding. Prior to Mary Fallin becoming governor teachers had reasonable workloads. Now they have 30% more students per teacher. They have eliminated languages, art, and sports that help bring parents to the school and get actively involved with the classroom.

They are destroying education by taking away all the funding to pay for tax breaks for the rich. Period.

Six consecutive years of slashing budgets for education isn't some knee jerk reaction to budgetary problems. It is an insidious plan to destroy public education.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #402 on: October 13, 2014, 11:40:34 am »

Saying parental participation is all that is needed is a cop-out. I agree it is the most important thing, but it isn't just an Oklahoma problem. Other states have the same lack of parental involvement and are doing better than Oklahoma. We do all we can including me serving on the foundation board for my kid's school and my wife is PTA president. I also have mentored and taught chess one hour per week at another school.

It is really about funding. Prior to Mary Fallin becoming governor teachers had reasonable workloads. Now they have 30% more students per teacher. They have eliminated languages, art, and sports that help bring parents to the school and get actively involved with the classroom.

They are destroying education by taking away all the funding to pay for tax breaks for the rich. Period.

Six consecutive years of slashing budgets for education isn't some knee jerk reaction to budgetary problems. It is an insidious plan to destroy public education.

Just out of curiosity.  How are our scores, drop out/graduation rates, etc. compared with 6 years ago?

Also, I get what your saying, but is your approach working to get the votes and change you would like?

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:42:15 am by TheArtist » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #403 on: October 13, 2014, 11:56:37 am »

My kids go to the highest rated school possible. Here are rankings...

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/oklahoma/rankings?int=c0b4c1

The number one and two high schools in Oklahoma are small charter schools in OKC. Number 3 is in Edmond (very wealthy) and my son's school is number 4. It is in north Tulsa with over half of the students coming from homes that qualify for free lunches because the parent's are poor.

Booker T. Washington is the best school in the Tulsa area. That link shows a college readiness of 48.1 for BTW with Jenks getting a 38.4 and Jenks getting a 21.1.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #404 on: October 14, 2014, 09:57:25 am »

Oklahoma education is a multi-faceted problem.  You have large urban districts in OKC and Tulsa that struggle with children not ready to learn, parental involvements, aging facilities, extreme mobility among students, attract primarily young, fresh teachers, a property tax base that is primarily commercial and industrial (positives and negatives there) and an enrollment that is half of what it was thirty years ago.  Then, you have the rural districts, typically parents are very involved but children may not be exposed to as many learning opportunities, facilities are nice but not top of the line, but they have increasingly migrant populations and their administrative overhead is out of whack.  Last you have the suburban districts that tend to attract great teachers and administrators and they receive the same amount of per pupil money as the other districts, but their heavy residential and those residents have agreed to tax themselves to the legal max to build facilities that continue to attract more students.

In my opinion, we need consolidation in rural districts (too many fiefdoms in rural education), revised funding formulas that allow the board of education to fund by need and we have to continue to attack poverty in our urban districts.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org