A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:21:39 am
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Public Schools Spending  (Read 283181 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #360 on: April 07, 2014, 06:23:18 am »

Or a required by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission thing.   It's called service territory.    Same reason you can't get PSO and GRDA in the same areas.

Actually GRDA is in a lot of PSO areas, like the walmart facility south of bartlesville.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #361 on: April 08, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »

Actually GRDA is in a lot of PSO areas, like the walmart facility south of bartlesville.

A good amount of the power they generate is kind of a co-generation thing where they provide peak capacity to other electric companies.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #362 on: April 22, 2014, 03:05:58 pm »

National story on NPR about Oklahoma's success in educating the very young.

NPR highlights Tulsa for the story.

The lead in had a quote;

"If it can happen in Oklahoma, it can happen anywhere."

That's how we're viewed.  "If those jackasses in Oklahoma can do it..."
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #363 on: April 22, 2014, 03:17:44 pm »

The lead in had a quote;

Careful Geico will jump all over that, Townsend.

“Geico. So easy even a Redneck Oklahoma Jackass can do it!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #364 on: April 22, 2014, 03:42:38 pm »

Careful Geico will jump all over that, Townsend.

“Geico. So easy even a Redneck Oklahoma Jackass can do it!"

It's frustrating.  It's a wonderful story about funding for pre-school and it makes Tulsa, for once, look good nationally.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #365 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:03 pm »

The lead in had a quote;

I listened to it.  Exceptional.  I knew that Kaiser supported a private version of pre-school, but didn't know TPS had that.  There is the occasional glimmer in the state.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #366 on: April 23, 2014, 06:58:21 am »

I listened to it.  Exceptional.  I knew that Kaiser supported a private version of pre-school, but didn't know TPS had that.  There is the occasional glimmer in the state.

They're running part of the story today.  The subject today is the part of the program to help the parents (mostly mothers) learn basics of business and further their education.

It's really a wonderful thing.  The theory is, if you help the parents, you help the kids.  The program pays for daycare, classes and rewards good attendance and good grades.

I wish the rest of the state could continue forward thinking like this.

If you help people get an education to move up in life, dependence on social programs would be so much less.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #367 on: April 23, 2014, 07:45:10 am »

It's really a wonderful thing.  The theory is, if you help the parents, you help the kids.  The program pays for daycare, classes and rewards good attendance and good grades.

If you help people get an education to move up in life, dependence on social programs would be so much less.

Something we see completely eye-to-eye on.  I’ve always believed that with few exceptions, better parenting makes for better students.  If the parents have all the tools to support their child’s education, the child has a better chance of success.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #368 on: April 23, 2014, 07:45:56 am »

They're running part of the story today.  The subject today is the part of the program to help the parents (mostly mothers) learn basics of business and further their education.

I wish the rest of the state could continue forward thinking like this.

The earlier the better to start educating people.  And ALWAYS the less expensive.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #369 on: April 23, 2014, 11:36:10 am »

Senate Moves from Road Fund to Education

http://kwgs.com/post/senate-moves-road-fund-education

The Oklahoma Senate votes overwhelmingly to make changes in the way education is funded. The plan approved today would eventually divert dollars from the road fund to education.

The bill was sponsored by Stillwater Senator James Halligan. He says it differs from a similar bill passed by the House.

"When it came off in the House, it called for 60 million; this calls for 30 million until we get the road fund full. Then, it takes the funds we are currently putting into the road fund."

Muskogee Senator Earl Garrison lobbied for the bill saying Oklahoma must do a better job.

"Folks, we're killing public education. We've got to step to the plate, and we've got to finance it. It's a shame that we rank number one in the nation in cuts, because Oklahoma is a poor state to begin with."

The bill now heads to a conference committee to work out the differences between the House and Senate bills.

Think something will be done to make this unconstitutional?  Is it already unconstitutional?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #370 on: April 23, 2014, 02:44:08 pm »

Think something will be done to make this unconstitutional?  Is it already unconstitutional?

It has to be unconstitutional.  This is Dumbfuckistan the Oklahoma legislature, it’s like their specialty.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #371 on: April 23, 2014, 03:47:17 pm »

It has to be unconstitutional.  This is Dumbfuckistan the Oklahoma legislature, it’s like their specialty.

Think that's the point?  So they can say "the Oklahoma Supreme Court hates your kids.  They don't want them educated!" 

Then they can place their cousins and such in there.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2014, 11:35:43 am »

Oklahoma Board to Consider Testing Contract

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-board-consider-testing-contract

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A testing vendor responsible for back-to-back years of disruptions during high-stakes standardized tests for Oklahoma students is expected to be approved for another $2.8 million sole-source contract with the Department of Education for testing this year.

The State Board of Education is expected to consider the proposed contract during its regular meeting Thursday in Oklahoma City.

The board voted this summer to terminate the agency's contract with vendor CTB/McGraw-Hill after another 8,100 middle and high school students across the state experienced computer problems during tests. Those glitches followed similar problems in 2013.

But Department of Education spokesman Phil Bacharach says a delay in new state education standards and short turnaround to solicit new bidders left state officials no choice but to use CTB/McGraw Hill to conduct tests in December.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #373 on: September 25, 2014, 11:44:55 am »

Just unreal. It's a complete clownshow at the capital.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #374 on: September 25, 2014, 04:55:47 pm »

Just unreal. It's a complete clownshow at the capital.

Always.  It is one of those universal constants like pi.  Or alien abductions.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org