A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:24:07 am
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Public Schools Spending  (Read 283149 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2013, 12:40:50 pm »

I'd support that if they discontinued printed text books.

Seems like too easy a target for theft to me. Not to mention great for increased eye strain, among other issues. It would be a lot nicer than lugging forty pounds of dead trees around, though. If they wanted to replace books with (good) eInk readers, that would be fine by me. It's a better fit for a book replacement, IMO. Not to mention a quarter of the price.

Tablets could be useful for shared classroom use, though.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #271 on: January 23, 2013, 12:45:02 pm »

Seems like too easy a target for theft to me. Not to mention great for increased eye strain, among other issues. It would be a lot nicer than lugging forty pounds of dead trees around, though. If they wanted to replace books with (good) eInk readers, that would be fine by me. It's a better fit for a book replacement, IMO. Not to mention a quarter of the price.

Tablets could be useful for shared classroom use, though.

Any tablet replacing printed text books would be an improvement in my opinion.

edited to add:  ibooks2 was specifically designed to replace paper text books.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:50:42 pm by Townsend » Logged
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2013, 01:26:45 pm »

TCC has been doing it for some of their programs for quite some time now.  Works very well.  The school gets a deal on the iPads from apple and then sells them to the students with the appropriate texts pre-installed.  I believe the School of Nursing is doing that.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »

TCC has been doing it for some of their programs for quite some time now.  Works very well.  The school gets a deal on the iPads from apple and then sells them to the students with the appropriate texts pre-installed.  I believe the School of Nursing is doing that.

What have been the negatives?
rdj
City Father

« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2013, 01:46:00 pm »

This won't be for iPads.  I believe you will see it used for a reading tablet of some sort.  The struggle the technology and library departments are having is figuring out what standard to go with.  When you try and deploy that many tablets with a long replacement horizon you need to get it right.  You'd hate to end up with betamax.

TPS lacks basic technology.  Many of the district's PC's cannot run recent operating systems.  The catch 22 for schools is they have to use operating funds, which are in short supply, to upgrade (ie, new RAM, etc) or repair existing PC's.  They can't use bond funds to do this.  Bond funds can only be used for brand new equipment.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #275 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:47 pm »

I serve on the foundation board for a Tulsa Public middle school. We are constantly raising money to pay for things like new computers.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2013, 07:20:01 am »

Here's a thought...teach reading, writing, and arithmetic....BEFORE we through computers at the kids....

Especially writing - the hand/eye coordination needed extends to other areas of endeavor, and slows down the "putting on paper" enough to let some mental editing occur inside the process.

Musings - pros and cons....

http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2012/06/08/the-pros-and-cons-of-using-computers-to-teach-students-how-to-write/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:37 am »

Here's a thought...teach reading, writing, and arithmetic....BEFORE we through computers at the kids....

Especially writing - the hand/eye coordination needed extends to other areas of endeavor, and slows down the "putting on paper" enough to let some mental editing occur inside the process.

Musings - pros and cons....

http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2012/06/08/the-pros-and-cons-of-using-computers-to-teach-students-how-to-write/

"through" computers at kids?  Wink

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2013, 10:26:38 am »

"through" computers at kids?  Wink

Right?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:31 am »

What have been the negatives?

I have heard only positives.  The woman that works part time with me (while attending school at TCC) says it is so much better than carrying around texts, and the ability to highlight and index selections from the books making them searchable is also a plus.  All of her books and notes are in one place, and backed up in the cloud with Dropbox.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:43 am »

Technology can help with that. And has been since the days of the Commodore 64. Aside from the penmanship aspect, anyway, but that's a lost cause.

Don't get me started on the racket that publishers are creating in higher ed with digital textbooks.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2013, 10:57:47 am »

Don't get me started on the racket that publishers are creating in higher ed with digital textbooks.

I prefer the digital racket over the printed text book racket.  Some things won't get fixed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2013, 11:05:29 am »

...throw....

Early and still half asleep....not to mention, I'm a high school graduate!!

I will put a number on it.  No computers until 9th grade.  (I also say no calculators until 9th grade...)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:07:24 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2013, 11:14:01 am »

...throw....

Early and still half asleep....not to mention, I'm a high school graduate!!

I will put a number on it.  No computers until 9th grade.  (I also say no calculators until 9th grade...)

My friend's kids have more computing power in their pocket than NASA had to land on the moon.  1st grade and 3rd grade.

I know, I know..."land on the moon" 
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2013, 11:14:41 am »

I prefer the digital racket over the printed text book racket.  Some things won't get fixed.

At least with the printed book racket you can buy used unless your professors choose to participate. Wink

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org