A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:05:51 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kendall whittier/lweis/6th/demolition  (Read 82718 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2019, 09:05:02 pm »

Between these projects around 6th & Lewis and the new stuff around 1st & Lewis K-W is one of the more happening urban neighborhoods right now.  What a turn around from not long ago.  I've long thought that the neighborhoods between downtown and TU had the most redevelopment potential and it's finally happening in a cool, organic way. 

You have the Pearl and the strip along 6th and the new Village Flats and existing brownstones at Centennial Park.  You have the new retail and restaurants along 11th from Utica toward Mother Road Market.  And also the emerging Brewer's Block at 6th & Utica with Marshall, Cabin Boys and soon American Solera at the corner.  Some of the housing is still in bad shape across the neighborhoods north of 11th, more so around the Pearl and less so closer to Lewis, but I've noticed quite a few rehabs. 

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2019, 10:05:11 pm »

Between these projects around 6th & Lewis and the new stuff around 1st & Lewis K-W is one of the more happening urban neighborhoods right now.  What a turn around from not long ago.  I've long thought that the neighborhoods between downtown and TU had the most redevelopment potential and it's finally happening in a cool, organic way. 

You have the Pearl and the strip along 6th and the new Village Flats and existing brownstones at Centennial Park.  You have the new retail and restaurants along 11th from Utica toward Mother Road Market.  And also the emerging Brewer's Block at 6th & Utica with Marshall, Cabin Boys and soon American Solera at the corner.  Some of the housing is still in bad shape across the neighborhoods north of 11th, more so around the Pearl and less so closer to Lewis, but I've noticed quite a few rehabs. 

Yes I think the area from TU to downtown, Kendal Whittier, 3rd st, 6th st, 11th/Route 66, 15th, etc.  has the potential to infill and become the best part of Tulsa.  The most "European" with higher density, walkability/transit friendly potential.  The small block structure and thru streets, mix of uses, etc. really help.  Just hope it isn't "Dallisafied" with midrise-highrise buildings designed for cars and not pedestrians, or too many QT's and car oriented Dentists offices putting gashes in that fine grained structure.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2019, 09:13:50 am »

Is this the NE corner of 6th & Lewis project?  If it is, that was bare ground last time I was in Tulsa.

Yes it is. The pic is basically facing towards TU, with the Orthodox Church in the far right background.

Quite a change! They seem to be moving quickly. Most of the brick along these front buildings is up now.
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2020, 03:59:29 pm »

Here's some pics showing the progress of West Park Apartments (phase II) going up at 6th and Lewis.  Looks like they are getting fairly close to completion.  I think it's a nice looking development.  

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 04:04:59 pm by Urban Enthusiast » Logged
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2020, 09:23:40 am »

More is coming across 6th, on the vacant lot next door to Lewis 6 Studios. Charney Properties is requesting the Board of Adjustment change zoning to RM-2, which is medium density multifamily.  It was previously zoned for mixed use, so I’m not actually sure what they gain by this change. But the fact that they’re applying means they’ve got plans on paper.

http://www.tulsaplanning.org/tmapc/cases/Z-7524.pdf
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2020, 04:51:58 pm »

Here's some pics showing the progress of West Park Apartments (phase II) going up at 6th and Lewis.  Looks like they are getting fairly close to completion.  I think it's a nice looking development.  

I agree those are looking good. They added some variety with cladding and building shape to keep it from being a monotonous apartment complex and pushing the urban buildings right up to street was a great move. This area is coming along nicely!
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2020, 04:54:15 pm »

More is coming across 6th, on the vacant lot next door to Lewis 6 Studios. Charney Properties is requesting the Board of Adjustment change zoning to RM-2, which is medium density multifamily.  It was previously zoned for mixed use, so I’m not actually sure what they gain by this change. But the fact that they’re applying means they’ve got plans on paper.

That is a strange change! Maybe it's some sort of agreement with neighborhood to get it to that to prevent businesses from going in or operating there? I would think just keep it mixed use and an apartment building will do a pretty good job of that on its own.

That is good news to have that going in also. Really big difference in this area vs 10 years ago.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2020, 12:42:43 pm »

These new apartments and homes look great, especially since most of them are "affordable housing".  Looks way better than the market-rate housing I've seen go up in cities like Denver and Dallas.  This can only strengthen the commercial district around 1st & Lewis and hopefully allow it to expand further south. 

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2020, 10:14:44 am »

The document at the link has been updated to indicate that the property owner wishes to build a duplex development, which is not an option under MX1-U zoning but is under RM-2.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2020, 07:50:23 am »

Since I'm essentially thru this intersection twice a day during the week, I'll try and start taking more photos as I can (GF lives just a block from this and I let the dog out during my lunch during the week).  It has been going up pretty quickly.  Going eastbound on 7th Street trying to turn on Lewis is dodgy at best because the property front makes it difficult to see north on Lewis unless I creep out into the street a little.  Not a fan of that setup at all.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2020, 08:01:17 pm »

Whittier Townhomes - I know this has been discussed on here before, and I didn't bother searching for it, 'cause I figured it would fit in this thread just fine.  I found this at www.tulsaboomtown.org.  Looks like some quality infill. 

Tulsa Habitat for Humanity and Boomtown are in the early stages of Whittier Development. This townhome community will be built on the former site of Whittier Elementary School at North Lewis Avenue and East Admiral Place. This owner-occupied community will offer 23 three-bedroom, two-bath homes for both Tulsa Habitat and Boomtown clients.

This project will transform an entire block, which is currently a vacant lot. It also represents the largest residential project in this area north of I-244 in many decades. Phase I of Whittier Townhomes is slated to begin in Spring 2020, with Phase II to begin in Fall 2020. Owners will begin moving into Whittier Development as early as Spring 2021.

Some pics

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2020, 09:02:24 am »

Here’s the TW sorry from last year: https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/tulsa-habitat-for-humanity-to-construct-its-first-multifamily-development/article_161b84c7-2a9d-5f7d-b876-946bd2725a50.html
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2020, 02:19:28 pm »

I snagged some more pictures of the West Park Phase II development. 

918superboy
Citizen

« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2020, 04:11:49 pm »

I have no new information to offer on the area, other than a lot of habitat for humanity work being done in the area but I do have a question. Does anyone else see a lot of potential at E Admiral and N College Ave? Of course the area is very rough at the moment, but it still lies within Kindle Whittier district and with the growing success of Whittier Square, it's only a matter of time before it spreads.

I just see a lot of potential in the Admiral and College Ave area, it already has the main street and walkable area feel to it as well as a few of the buildings having a bit of charm to them. The existing buildings just need some overhaul or a change of ownership. And with the townhomes going up at Admiral and Lewis it makes sense to expand improvements down Admiral from there.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2020, 04:42:36 pm »

I have no new information to offer on the area, other than a lot of habitat for humanity work being done in the area but I do have a question. Does anyone else see a lot of potential at E Admiral and N College Ave? Of course the area is very rough at the moment, but it still lies within Kindle Whittier district and with the growing success of Whittier Square, it's only a matter of time before it spreads.

I just see a lot of potential in the Admiral and College Ave area, it already has the main street and walkable area feel to it as well as a few of the buildings having a bit of charm to them. The existing buildings just need some overhaul or a change of ownership. And with the townhomes going up at Admiral and Lewis it makes sense to expand improvements down Admiral from there.

Funny you mention that. I thought the same thing going by recently. It had been a while since I'd gone by and I noticed all the character in the buildings which have remained there. Definitely could be a neat spot. It would take a few different land owners a bit of working together and investment towards that goal. I don't see it becoming a hot spot anytime soon, but maybe could be sort of a residential/auxiliary type of spot. Sort of like north of I244 where Topeca HQ is or on 6th a couple blocks west of Lewis where it bends (old main-street style building there). Won't be a main street but could be a neat place for niche businesses who want that vintage store front vibe. Would be awesome if redone well.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org