A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:42 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kendall whittier/lweis/6th/demolition  (Read 82729 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 09:14:22 am »

At first blush it looks like the apartments TU built along 11th street.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 09:23:22 am »

At first blush it looks like the apartments TU built along 11th street.

Except that they are built up to the sidewalk and there are no parking lots on the street and also no they don't.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 10:16:49 am »

Except that they are built up to the sidewalk and there are no parking lots on the street and also no they don't.

LOL Smiley

Having lived in those apartments along 11th Street for a couple years (2007-2009), I can attest that these (West Park Apartments) look, act and feel nothing like those. Or rather, will not (future tense).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:22:01 am by dsjeffries » Logged

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 10:39:10 am »

Don't forget that these new apartments are also not fenced off from the stuff right across the street from them.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 11:35:23 am »

Don't forget that these new apartments are also not fenced off from the stuff right across the street from them.

That is an excellent point.

Power is nothing till you use it.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 11:38:28 am »

That is an excellent point.

Yes. The college could have an amazing urban (I hate that word) campus, but they've made little effort to build one. They seem to prefer being closed off from the world around them instead of trying to improve the community by making a more open, inviting and fitting campus.
46hudson
Citizen

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 01:59:38 pm »

This project gives me a glimmer of hope that one day that this awesome new area and TU could be connected to The Pearl District via 6th street. I just wish this project were a few years down the road to clearly illustrate to the TMAPC and council how this style of development works. Had it been, The Pearl District would likely face a bit less opposition today regarding their FBC's.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 02:49:55 pm »

This project gives me a glimmer of hope that one day that this awesome new area and TU could be connected to The Pearl District via 6th street. I just wish this project were a few years down the road to clearly illustrate to the TMAPC and council how this style of development works. Had it been, The Pearl District would likely face a bit less opposition today regarding their FBC's.

Excellent point.
TulsaGuy
Activist

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 09:18:47 am »

Is there a website with more information on this project?

Does Kaiser already control all of the houses/land needed to construct these buildings? 
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 11:42:23 am »

Is there a website with more information on this project?

Does Kaiser already control all of the houses/land needed to construct these buildings? 

Inspired by the success of the Harlem Children’s Zone, GKFF’s efforts in the Kendall Whittier neighborhood focus intensely on the birth-to-college-to-career pipeline, collectively called the Growing Together effort. GKFF believes that a safe, quality home environment is a significant factor in breaking the cycle of poverty for children and their families. In 2013, GKFF partnered with McCormack Baron Salazar, a nationally respected developer specializing in revitalizing economically distressed urban areas, to develop the 128‐unit mixed income Kendall Whittier West Park Apartments. In addition, GKFF renovated Kendall Whittier’s public park and collaborated with the University of Tulsa to build 20 graduate student units as well as non‐profit offices within the West Park development. The success of these projects has spurred further development through construction of affordable, for‐sale, single family homes, $12 million of investment and 160 new jobs in the adjacent historic shopping district, and a planned 100‐unit second phase of the mixed‐income West Park apartments. GKFF is hopeful these combined efforts will create a successful revitalization model that can be adapted and applied to other struggling neighborhoods in Tulsa.

Quote From: http://www.gkff.org/what-we-do/civic-enhancement/neighborhood-dev/

West Park site - http://www.westparkatkendallwhittier.com/

Growing Together effort - http://www.gttulsa.org/

Habitat for Humanity - Kendall-Whittier focus: http://www.tulsahabitat.org/kendallwhittier

24-hour Habitat build: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/latest-tulsa-habitat-home-reflects-new-focuses-better-houses-helping/article_a6d5dd90-0f98-57cd-8dfd-2c865dcac3bc.html

Capital Homes showing the 3 home plans (At least 1 of each is already built/under constuction) - http://www.capitalhomes.com/Find_Your_Home/Tulsa/Kendall-Whittier
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 12:22:08 pm »

If you have been to this area recently, you have noticed a lot of activity. They have leveled a couple blocks of houses/nasty apartments and a bunch of new houses have been built or are being constructed. Most of the demolished places were ugly apartments or very tiny houses (around 500-800 sq ft) that were derelict and not worth redoing anyway (financially or architecturally) although a few gems were unfortunately lost.

Fortunately a lot of stuff is being put in. As the quote in the above comment says, the existing West Park will have a phase 2 put in to the south of another 100 units! Capital Homes is putting in new houses at a fast rate. Habitat recently did a 24-hour build and open house right across from the elementary school and plan to focus on the area for the next several years.

It looks like "West Park Phase II" owns about the entire block just south of the existing West Park and the last apartment building there is slated to be demolished (between 5th pl and 6th st, lewis & Atlanta). There are a few hold-outs in the blocks east of that block and by TU south of the Orthodox Church. I have heard TU has plans for some athletic development just west of the softball field but I do not know details. Does anyone know what that will become? 

Overall, this looks like a great collaboration by GKFF, TU, Capital Homes, Habitat for Humanity, RSD Properties and Gerald Heller (I don't know his involvement but might be involved with Habitat) and even the Orthodox church to buy up almost all of the lots around there and trade them back and forth for best redevelopment (some properties were bought by TU then transferred to West Park or bought by RSD and transferred to TU or Habitat). I noticed 2604 E 6 ST is owned by NA Islamic Trust while the rest and I wonder if they plan to put a mosque in there to go along with the other churches around there (there is a mosque on west side of TU so could be something else).

This was another case of "urban renewal" by demolishing but the area is looking better and better and the nasty apartments are getting fewer and fewer and they are being replaced by nice looking affordable housing. There are still several blocks owned mostly by investment companies and some individuals (mostly probably rentals), but it is quite a big change over 5/10 years ago. There is also quite a bit that has happened on 11th since then (Campbell, Capps, Maxxwells, 918 coffee) and the Fuel 66 Food Truck Park at 11th and Atlanta. Plus on Lewis there is the FabLab, the Renaissance Brewery being build (mixed use) and the Kathy/Loebeck Taylor Foundation development right next to that (also mixed use). All of that ignores the amazing renovations that have occurred on homes all throughout the Renaissance neighborhood. Home values there have really taken off and it is looking great. Overall an up and coming area which still has lots of work to go.
davideinstein
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 08:05:21 pm »

Yes. The college could have an amazing urban (I hate that word) campus, but they've made little effort to build one. They seem to prefer being closed off from the world around them instead of trying to improve the community by making a more open, inviting and fitting campus.

True story.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 08:10:15 pm »

Lol...Good Lord....

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 10:21:48 pm »

I like that TU is trying to get the campus more contiguous.  The fence and parking along 11th St inside the fence were not really good planning though.  When I attended the University of Delaware (undergrad), resident students were not provided with parking for their cars and most of us did not have cars.    I don't agree with the idea of the campus belonging to all of Tulsa.  The idea of the campus being interspersed with gas stations, dry cleaners etc doesn't fit with my idea of a campus but rather it would be random buildings for education.  Engineering was at North Campus when I went to TU.  I never really felt like I was part of the college community even though I got a fine education.  Maybe being a grad student in my late 20s I wouldn't have fit in anyway.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 07:54:00 am »

Quote from: ZYX on May 29, 2012, 11:38:28 am

True story.

Can you blame TU for trying to close it off and keep their students safer with all of the crime, especially from nearby Kendall-Whittier district? Car breakins and thefts have been a big issue for a while. Having it as closed off as possible lowers access. TU is a private university and while the campus is semi-public, they don't want random vagrants or potential thieves walking through. They want those who aren't supposed to be there to feel unwelcome. Rebuilding Kendall-Whittier helps with that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org