A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no interest in airport industiral park  (Read 27761 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2012, 10:00:53 pm »

The man designed the building to withstand impact by a jet airplane of sixties profile. My understanding is that the size and speed of jets changed in the time period from the sixties to 2001. And of course, no one can plan for everything. We have the same building here, by the same designer, only half the height. It was groundbreaking design and copied with variation for decades. Materials are better now and may mitigate against the same catastrophe. My enlightenment comes from former lengthy arguments on this forum between engineers and tin foil hats.

Shadows isn't a dumb guy by my estimation. Some of the things he refers to in a fragmented way do correlate with the politics, criminal activities and skullduggery that my father relayed to me about Tulsa operators in the 50's to 70's. I am sure he is a guy who had some interface with power and politics here locally but he is a guy who doesn't communicate well with a savvy digital generation.

Sorry to talk about you while you're still in the room Shadow. We seldom agree on anything but I don't doubt your sincerity and insider knowledge. I think you make too much of them though.
Also, the building held up to the impact quiet well.  It was that the tanks were full of Jet fuel that burned and heated the supports that caused the failure.  Just sayin
shadows
City Father

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:30 pm »

Especially since, as a pilot, I know the term is not point of inertia.  It's 'moment of inertia'...holy cow.

I guess I need to dig up my pilot hand book before using inertia as an object being held at rest by opposing forces but the machinist hand book was established on the premise that when an object is loaded by a greater force at that moment it establishes the point of inertia in the objects failure. 
If one studies the pictures of the failure of the towers not being engineered to support their roofs and the speed of their collapse it creates a question on if the floor support arrangement could have been flawed.
Since you are a pilot and I am not but being in an experiment with a TU professor on the increasing of speeds of the man operated planes, like when they passed the speed of sound, now approaching speeds of Einstein theory on the forth dimension , where the brain cannot correlate and identify the object before passing it, what do you think will happen?  No I ain’t saw any flying saucers today exceeding the speed of light.       

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 10:13:35 pm »

I guess I need to dig up my pilot hand book before using inertia as an object being held at rest by opposing forces but the machinist hand book was established on the premise that when an object is loaded by a greater force at that moment it establishes the point of inertia in the objects failure. 
If one studies the pictures of the failure of the towers not being engineered to support their roofs and the speed of their collapse it creates a question on if the floor support arrangement could have been flawed.
Since you are a pilot and I am not but being in an experiment with a TU professor on the increasing of speeds of the man operated planes, like when they passed the speed of sound, now approaching speeds of Einstein theory on the forth dimension , where the brain cannot correlate and identify the object before passing it, what do you think will happen?  No I ain’t saw any flying saucers today exceeding the speed of light.       

What "speed of collapse"??  It took almost an hour!  Burning jet fuel!  That steel was never designed to handle those temperatures.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2012, 10:42:41 pm »

You might be just using antiquated terminology.  Which version of Machinery's Handbook do you have?  I have a copies of the 20th & 23rd editions.  I remember looking in the TU Library many years ago for information on flat belt tracking and crowned pulleys.  I found it in some books from the early 20th Century and some of the terms were a bit different than even in the 1980s.

From the 23rd Edition:
p 129
"Inertia is that property of matter which causes it to resist any change in its motion or state of rest.
Mass is a measure of the inertia of a body."

No I ain’t saw any flying saucers today exceeding the speed of light.

Of course not, they were gone before they got here.

Edit: 20th rather than 21st Edition. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:48:46 am by Red Arrow » Logged

rdj
City Father

« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2012, 08:45:02 am »

How did a conversation about the airport industrial park devolve into the poor engineering that went into the World Trade Center towers?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:44 am »

How did a conversation about the airport industrial park devolve into the poor engineering that went into the World Trade Center towers?

It’s gone off the rails this far, might as well:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2012, 08:48:53 am »

This forum needs a "like" or "thanks" function.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2012, 09:57:30 am »

It’s gone off the rails this far, might as well:

This photo makes me sad.  I had a pint glass just like that one and my son knocked it off the counter a couple of months ago and broke it.  Cry
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2012, 10:17:36 am »

Looking at that photo reminds me of what a robust boy Eric is.  That pint glass looks like a shot glass in his hand.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2012, 12:15:54 pm »

Looking at that photo reminds me of what a robust boy Eric is.  That pint glass looks like a shot glass in his hand.

Yeah, last time at the brewery I noticed that.  Pushing 6'4" I would guess.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:23 pm »

Solid German beer master.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org