A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:37:24 am
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292367 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #705 on: January 20, 2015, 11:26:45 pm »

And another. It doesn't get much more clear than this one.  Roll Eyes

Again we ask if you can fall back on "Stand Your Ground" when you are the armed agressor charging at someone.

Three days have passed since an off-duty Department of Veterans Affairs security guard from Oklahoma City fatally shot a man outside a downtown Tulsa apartment complex, and officials say the Tulsa Police Department’s investigation is in its preliminary stages.

Andrew Bryiant, 33, shot 23-year-old Rodney Walker around 5:15 p.m. Friday outside the Renaissance Uptown apartment complex, at the intersection of 11th Street and Denver Avenue, homicide detective Sgt. Dave Walker said.

Rodney Walker died at Saint Francis Hospital about an hour later, according to a news release issued Friday night.
“It’s an unfortunate set of circumstances,” Dave Walker told the Tulsa World on Monday. “In this situation, (we would ask), ‘Did the officer have a right to be there doing what he was doing?’ and ‘What was in the officer’s mind at the time he took the action that he took?’ ”

Bryiant told police he was driving to the Garth Brooks concert at the BOK Center with his family when he saw what appeared to be a domestic disturbance outside the apartment complex and got out of his car to intervene. He said that he identified himself as a law enforcement officer, which started the altercation with Rodney Walker, the news release states.

Bryiant said he shot Rodney Walker after seeing the man appear to grab for a gun that was in his waistband. Dave Walker has said Bryiant did not use his service weapon.
The gun Rodney Walker had was not reported stolen, and detectives are piecing together that weapon’s ownership history, the detective said.

“By all accounts he was doing something illegal,” Dave Walker said.

Rodney Walker’s surviving friends and family have questioned whether Bryiant had the right to get involved in an alleged crime that occurred outside his jurisdiction and whether the state’s “stand your ground” law could apply to the case.
Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said Monday that in use-of-force cases, prosecutors look at where the altercation took place, whether the person who used the force was protecting another person, and whether the person was protecting himself.

Under Oklahoma law, a person who is attacked in any place that person has a right to be has the right to stand his ground in order to protect himself or another person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

“If it’s an officer-involved shooting, we’re going to be looking at things like any other civilian might be confronted with,” Kunzweiler said.
“If there was a threat of deadly force against the shooter, we have to look at whether there’s enough evidence to support that person’s version.
“If someone is coming at you or pulling a weapon out, that changes the circumstances significantly.”

QuinTeisha Rice, Rodney Walker’s girlfriend, disputed parts of Bryiant’s account in an interview with the Tulsa World on Sunday.
The pair had been dating since the end of November and lived together at the nearby Parkwood Apartments, at 501 W. 11th St., and they were walking by the complex when they began arguing, she said.

Rice alleged that Bryiant did not identify himself as a police officer before firing at Rodney Walker and that there was a short time between when he got out of his vehicle and when he opened fire.
“I was yelling (at Bryiant), ‘No, no, that’s my boyfriend,’” Rice said.

“Rodney didn’t pull his gun until the man walked up on him. He was trying to walk away, and (Bryiant) walked up on him. He didn’t know who this man was.”

Rice said Rodney Walker had never assaulted her in the past and that she “couldn’t believe” that Tulsa police didn’t release her statement on the matter to the media.
“We were getting into an altercation, but it’s not right to come in, see (Rodney Walker’s) gun and just shoot him,” Rice said.

“He didn’t pull out his gun to hurt (Bryiant). He pulled the gun to try to protect himself.”
Although Rodney Walker can’t provide police with his version of events, Dave Walker said that so far the circumstances appear to show that the man was being violent toward his girlfriend.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/questions-remain-in-tulsa-shooting-by-oklahoma-city-va-officer/article_3da2d44a-beb8-5bfb-a30c-668577f11bda.html

"As soon as he got out of his car he had the gun pointed at Rodney. Rodney was trying to walk away. Our argument was over. We were already separated when the officer got out of his car," Rice said.

The attorney representing Bryiant released a statement that said, "Mr. Bryiant is cooperating fully. No further comments will be made until the brave men and women of Tulsa County law enforcement have finished their investigation."

http://bcove.me/5q4jk16w

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #706 on: January 21, 2015, 07:54:08 am »

Again we ask if you can fall back on "Stand Your Ground" when you are the armed agressor charging at someone.

Part two;  are you a cop doing the aggression?

a. Yes - anything goes.

b. No - No.

Or do you have family connections to Tim Harris, DA office and Kurt Glasco, judge?

a. Yes - anything goes again - you can get a casual admonishment about attempted murder.  Yeah, I know they called it feloniously pointing a firearm - but when you do that, pull the trigger and only reason it doesn't shoot is because you forgot to chamber a round... that's attempted murder.  Thanks judge Glassco!  We can all sleep better at night....

b. No - going to prison for years.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2353817&db=Tulsa

11-17-2010    CTPASS    -    EATON, MARK ALLEN    76493898    Nov 17 2010 5:30:47:190PM    -    $ 0.00
   JUDGE GLASSCO: DEFENDANT PRESENT, NOT IN CUSTODY, REPRESENTED BY DAN KRAMER. STATE REPRESENTED BY ERIK GRAYLESS. COURT REPORTER IS CINDY WORKMAN. DEFENDANT WAIVES JURY TRIAL AND NON JURY TRIAL AND ENTER A PLEA OF GUILTY WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF A RECOMMENDATION FROM THE STATE. COURT ACCEPTS THE GUILTY PLEA AND PASSES SENTENCING TO 01/04/2011 AT 9:30AM, ROOM 401 WITH PSI. DEFENDANT EXECUTES PERSONAL RECOGNIZANCE BOND. PREVIOUS BOND EXONERATED.

But then, wait...!!   We can't have that...!!  He is a member of the "entitlement" class.... Daddy got friends??   He is a 'good' boy and never would hurt anyone... well, except the two kids he pointed an assault rifle at and pulled the trigger....  only to find he was too drunk to have actually pulled the bolt to chamber a round...  Oh, my...what to do?  Go back in the house and get the Glock that is already loaded AND chambered and return to try to finish the job.  Only to find the kids have scattered.  But that's ok - now can continue to just kinda "white trash" the neighborhood and make it an undesirable place for others to live.  Plus, can still shoot up the back yard at all the top holidays, like 4th of July and New Years!!

01-24-2011    DEFERRED    1    EATON, MARK ALLEN    77050535    Jan 25 2011 2:00:15:090PM    -    $ 0.00
   JUDGE GLASSCO: DEFENDANT PRESENT, NOT IN CUSTODY, REPRESENTED BY DAN KRAMER. STATE REPRESENTED BY MICHELLE KEELY. COURT REPORTER IS CINDY WORKMAN. CASE CALLED FOR FINDING AND SENTENCING.

COUNT 1: COURT WITHHOLDS A FINDING OF GUILT AND DEFERS JUDGMENT AND SENTENCING FOR TEN (10) YEARS, UNTIL 01/05/2021 AT 9:30AM, ROOM 401. COUNT ONE IS TO RUN CONCURRENT WITH COUNT TWO. THE DEFENDANT IS TO BE UNDER THE RULES AND CONDITIONS OF PROBATION AND PAROLE WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS. THE DEFENDANT IS ASSESSED A $250 COURT FUND, $250 VICTIM'S COMPENSATION ASSESSMENT, $250 PSI FEE, PLUS COSTS.

COUNT 2: COURT WITHHOLDS A FINDING OF GUILT AND DEFERS JUDGMENT AND SENTENCING FOR TEN (10) YEARS, UNTIL 01/05/2021 AT 9:30AM, ROOM 401. COUNT TWO IS TO RUN CONCURRENT WITH COUNT ONE. THE DEFENDANT IS ASSESSED A $100 COURT FUND, $100 VICTIM'S COMPENSATION ASSESSMENT, PLUS COSTS.

DEFENDANT EXECUTES RULE 8 FORM. DEFENDANT ADVISED OF APPEAL RIGHTS. DEFERRED ORDER OF PROBATION ISSUED. BOND EXONERATED.

I notice the OSCN network has a "new, improved" website now - to all appearances specifically designed to make it more difficult to get information about court related issues.  Obfuscation and blurring to protect the system....

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:57:12 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #707 on: January 21, 2015, 09:01:50 am »

And who is this Mark Allen Eaton fella?  Huh

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #708 on: January 21, 2015, 11:33:13 am »

And who is this Mark Allen Eaton fella?  Huh

Guy I have talked about in the past who tried to kill a couple of kids who were standing in front yard of their relatives house - parents are acquaintances of the family.  And collusion between Tim Harris office, judge Kurt Glassco, and Eaton's obviously well connected family got him a "softball" admonition of "don't do that again" for 10 years and we will just let bygones be bygones.

From the "strong, law and order" District Attorney's and Glassco judge offices.... What do you suppose would happen if the guy had not been 'connected' and was not one of the 'entitled'??  Or black??

Granted - the kids were just hanging around in "their" yard...minding their own business....not making noise - just talking to each other - but they were smoking cigarettes...  So, obviously they deserved to die according to the drunken deranged psychosis of Eaton...  Who am I to argue with that..??

Note - sarcasm alert for that last sentence in case anyone missed it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #709 on: January 21, 2015, 01:06:46 pm »

Oh I gotcha. A high price Attorney can get you almost the same thing too. Just depends on who he plays golf with or dinners and palms greased in the wheel of justice.
I learned the hard way in my divorce what a low price Attorney will get you i.e. one that will literally take new tires, T.V.s or other merchandise as payment. I have a hard time believing he still has a practice. If you can call it that. Not to name names, but his last name is the same as a popular European language you can learn.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #710 on: January 21, 2015, 01:53:08 pm »

Oh I gotcha. A high price Attorney can get you almost the same thing too. Just depends on who he plays golf with or dinners and palms greased in the wheel of justice.
I learned the hard way in my divorce what a low price Attorney will get you i.e. one that will literally take new tires, T.V.s or other merchandise as payment. I have a hard time believing he still has a practice. If you can call it that. Not to name names, but his last name is the same as a popular European language you can learn.  Roll Eyes

In spite of the known issues with the DA's office, and Glassco, we keep electing them or cronies.... there is no hope for this state....

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #711 on: January 21, 2015, 05:40:31 pm »

In spite of the known issues with the DA's office, and Glassco, we keep electing them or cronies.... there is no hope for this state....

We didnt really have any choices when we elected Kunzweiler, did we?

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

“By all accounts he was doing something illegal,” Dave Walker said.
Sounds like the investigation is over.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #712 on: February 23, 2015, 10:13:10 pm »

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #713 on: February 24, 2015, 10:30:18 am »

What’s the white Hispanic done now?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #714 on: May 11, 2015, 12:48:30 pm »

This dude can't let his fifteen minutes expire, can he?  Although it appears that he wasn't the one doing the shooting, at first glance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/11/george-zimmerman-shooting/27125587/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #715 on: May 11, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »

Anyone can be involved in an incident for any or no reason. 2 incidents. 3 even.

But when you get arrested for shooting people, beating up women, carrying firearms, and are involved in several other known incidents within a few years... Your probably a large part of the problem.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #716 on: May 11, 2015, 09:52:04 pm »

Heard about the Hattiesburg killing of two cops.... just wondering where the riots and outrage over gratuitous murder is for this case?   Just curious....we seem to be missing an Al Sharpton component in this one....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #717 on: May 12, 2015, 09:38:07 am »

Heard about the Hattiesburg killing of two cops.... just wondering where the riots and outrage over gratuitous murder is for this case?   Just curious....we seem to be missing an Al Sharpton component in this one....

There usually are not riots for murders. There are almost never riots for murders that result in a swift investigation, transparency, and arrests of bad people within days. What would people riot about?

Now, if police officers were regularly abused and even killed, and no one did anything about it - then you would see the police out in force demanding action. Instead, violence like this against police is exceptionally rare, about 40 per year. That's down from 120+ in the 1970s.

The fact that there are tens of millions of criminals, drug cartels, and physchos in the USA who can get guns at anytime, and 800,000 law enforcement who are usually very easy to find, and officer deaths by firearms are that rare is a miracle. We expect bad people to do bad things, we often expect the worst based on TV, movies, and media. But in reality, its fairly rare.

However, we expect more from police than for criminals. We expect them to protect and serve, we expect professionalism and restraint. Yet police shoot and kill someone more than once a day. Hundreds more each day have their civil rights violated. In any conflict where the good guys slaughter 10x the number of people than the bad guys - someone is going to get upset.

Finally, protesting individual criminals is utterly pointless. The point of protesting is to have your voice heard and effect change. Redress directed at the government or some organization. Hence, when the government is perceived to be a bad actor - there are protests. When some low level criminal murders a police officer, we recognize it for the crime it is- but there is no point protesting a death row inmate.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #718 on: May 12, 2015, 10:13:46 am »

...We expect bad people to do bad things, we often expect the worst based on TV, movies, and media. But in reality, its fairly rare.

However, we expect more from police than for criminals. We expect them to protect and serve, we expect professionalism and restraint. Yet police shoot and kill someone more than once a day. Hundreds more each day have their civil rights violated. In any conflict where the good guys slaughter 10x the number of people than the bad guys - someone is going to get upset.

Well said.   We (unfortunately) expect bad people to do bad things, so there is no cause to protest it.  Be (should) hold the police and other official agencies to a higher standard.  Any hint of impropriety - and there have been plenty of hints recently - should rightfully get people upset.

(Sorry for the updates. I can't seem to type this morning.)

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #719 on: May 12, 2015, 10:52:20 am »

There usually are not riots for murders. There are almost never riots for murders that result in a swift investigation, transparency, and arrests of bad people within days. What would people riot about?

Now, if police officers were regularly abused and even killed, and no one did anything about it - then you would see the police out in force demanding action. Instead, violence like this against police is exceptionally rare, about 40 per year. That's down from 120+ in the 1970s.

The fact that there are tens of millions of criminals, drug cartels, and physchos in the USA who can get guns at anytime, and 800,000 law enforcement who are usually very easy to find, and officer deaths by firearms are that rare is a miracle. We expect bad people to do bad things, we often expect the worst based on TV, movies, and media. But in reality, its fairly rare.

Finally, protesting individual criminals is utterly pointless. The point of protesting is to have your voice heard and effect change. Redress directed at the government or some organization. Hence, when the government is perceived to be a bad actor - there are protests. When some low level criminal murders a police officer, we recognize it for the crime it is- but there is no point protesting a death row inmate.

Unfortunately, once you figure in the agitation from NYPD's union, mix in some crazy Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Milwaukee's Sheriff Clarke, and top it off with:

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, an average of one officer in the U.S. dies every 60 hours.
http://www.paducahsun.com/news/local/051215_PS_Police_Memorial

... you would think it was a siege, even though the FBI says the average is declining (despite last years rebound from a previous record low).
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-report-51-law-enforcement-officers-killed-2014-n357206

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org