A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:15:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292365 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #675 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:16 am »

No doubt the jury made the correct decision based on the current law, but that doesn’t make it seem right emotionally. 

A lawyer friend once told me something along the line of justice is the impartial application of the law.  It is not about being emotionally right or fair.  

Hopefully none of us will ever be on the "wrong side" of that process.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #676 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:04 am »

Bottom line....don't go into gated neighborhoods unless you look like everyone else there, act like them and are carrying a weapon. They are just as dangerous as the hood.

In the late 70s, my sister wanted to visit relatives in FL for the summer.  Mom and dad didn't want her driving there by herself.  I had the time available to go with her and then fly back.  I made sure I got my haircut before leaving Tulsa and driving through MS, LA, and AL. 

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #677 on: July 16, 2013, 11:50:49 am »

In the late 70s, my sister wanted to visit relatives in FL for the summer.  Mom and dad didn't want her driving there by herself.  I had the time available to go with her and then fly back.  I made sure I got my haircut before leaving Tulsa and driving through MS, LA, and AL. 

Mullet style?
rebound
City Father

« Reply #678 on: July 16, 2013, 11:54:33 am »

A lawyer friend once told me something along the line of justice is the impartial application of the law.  It is not about being emotionally right or fair.  

Hopefully none of us will ever be on the "wrong side" of that process.

Just to clarify my position on my original post,  I don't think "justice" was done here, and I don't think this type of action by Zimmerman should be allowed.  I personally own several guns, I grew up on a farm and have more than once answered the door with one in my hand to make sure I was protected in case the person on the other side was up to something.  That said, if I grab a gun and actively seek a situation where I then use that gun - in defense or not - I am at fault and there should be some level of punishment.  But that's JMHO, and the law (as I understand it from listening to the trial coverage, etc) isn't written that way, and so Zimmerman gets off free.  I don't like it, but I understand it.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #679 on: July 16, 2013, 12:09:27 pm »

As a father this whole thing makes me sad because I have a 12 year old son that constantly wears a hoodie. I am not really very nervous over it because I know that even though he is half Indian he is unlikely to ever be looked at with fear or profiled with his pale skin and dirty blond hair. He looks more like me while my daughter looks more like my wife. My daughter is 17 and this incident probably helps explain why my daughter’s black friends usually dress so much better than her white friends. It’s safer.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #680 on: July 16, 2013, 12:19:39 pm »

Mullet style?

No, nothing fancy.  Just a haircut that my dad would have told me to get it cut again if I had still been in High School in the 60s.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #681 on: July 16, 2013, 01:18:42 pm »

As a father this whole thing makes me sad because I have a 12 year old son that constantly wears a hoodie. I am not really very nervous over it because I know that even though he is half Indian he is unlikely to ever be looked at with fear or profiled with his pale skin and dirty blond hair. He looks more like me while my daughter looks more like my wife. My daughter is 17 and this incident probably helps explain why my daughter’s black friends usually dress so much better than her white friends. It’s safer.

I wear hoodies in the winter time.  When it's a dark night, I doubt anyone can discern if I'm white, black or Hispanic.  However, I don't engage in behavior that would make anyone care whether I have a hoodie on or not.  If someone is walking down my street dressed like that I don't give it two thoughts.  If they are walking or crouching between houses, or sitting in an idling car I've never seen before, you bet it gets my attention.

Bottom line is, hoodies don't get people killed.  Wearing a hoodie and malingering around homes when it doesn't appear you belong in the neighborhood might get someone's interest up.  Attacking people who investigate that appearance and behavior can end up getting you killed...hoodie or not.  There's a teachable moment in that for all parents.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #682 on: July 16, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »

No doubt the jury made the correct decision based on the current law, but that doesn’t make it seem right emotionally. 

They made the decision based on the case the prosecution presented....which was by an office that didn't want to be there in the first place.

Juror B37 said that two wanted manslaughter, one wanted murder, but then they all changed to acquittal...go figure.  How did 3:3 get to 6:0?  No way to tell unless others talk and 'explain' themselves.   I wouldn't if I were them...nobodies business what goes on in my mind!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #683 on: July 16, 2013, 02:11:10 pm »

Bottom line....don't go into gated neighborhoods unless you look like everyone else there, act like them and are carrying a weapon. They are just as dangerous as the hood.

Anyone who ever thought different is just kidding themselves....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #684 on: July 16, 2013, 02:11:16 pm »

nobodies business what goes on in my mind!

My mind is a dangerous neighborhood, I try to stay out of it as much as possible!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #685 on: July 16, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »

In the late 70s, my sister wanted to visit relatives in FL for the summer.  Mom and dad didn't want her driving there by herself.  I had the time available to go with her and then fly back.  I made sure I got my haircut before leaving Tulsa and driving through MS, LA, and AL.  

You didn't have to go that far to worry about your hair - Roger's County around 1970 (through the 60's)...J B Hamby.  Routinely would 'catch' hitchhikers at the Rogers county line, take them to a barber in Claremore, have their heads shaved and set the back on the road at the county line at the other end of the county.  I always stayed away from Rogers county at that time.

Got himself killed playing Dirty Harry at a tag agency in Catoosa.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #686 on: July 18, 2013, 11:29:09 am »

Tonight's Tulsa City Council meeting...

11. HEARING OF PUBLIC COMMENTS
 a. Public comment requesting a City Council resolution calling the U.S. Department of Justice and  Attorney General Eric Holder to press federal civil charges against George Zimmerman.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #687 on: July 18, 2013, 11:58:12 am »

a. Public comment requesting a City Council resolution calling the U.S. Department of Justice and  Attorney General Eric Holder to press federal civil charges against George Zimmerman.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #688 on: July 18, 2013, 12:35:27 pm »

Who requested that?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #689 on: July 18, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »

Who requested that?

Let me guess. Jack Henderson after consulting with Roscoe Turner.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org