A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292328 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #525 on: July 08, 2012, 08:47:26 pm »

The God I am familiar with isn't a gun kind of deity. Swords, spears, rocks, burning pits, yeah but only for those really bad Egyptians and Romans.

I don't see your statements or positions as that big a deal except that the Bible was written a LONG time ago.  Basic morals etc still apply but references to any kind of technology are obviously dated.  I wonder what the Bible would look like if it were written recently.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #526 on: July 08, 2012, 08:54:33 pm »

Seriously, I only made the Bible reference because H used the phrase "God given right" in the same discussion as guns. Nothing more. No political statement, no anti gun statement, nothing. It seemed incongrous to me. The God I am familiar with isn't a gun kind of deity. Swords, spears, rocks, burning pits, yeah but only for those really bad Egyptians and Romans. But man, H, did you go off or what?

As far as safety, I'm still skeptical that guns are the answer for me. Mass murderers like the Manson clan didn't seem to need them. No amount of guns in the hands of the Norwegian murderer would have changed the odds. He picked them off from afar. Kennedy had lots of gun carrying agents nearby. The odds of any of you ever seeing a door crashing, gun carrying crazy is really pretty low. I actually walked in on a robbery at a convenience store and walked away from same without any need of a gun. It would have complicated the situation actually. But, I understand the law, the fear, the attraction and the rationale for those who do want them. Not a batttle I am interested in.

And that's fine and I have zero problem with your POV on it.  Unlike many I know, I won't try and convert someone who wishes not to use firearms for SD to use them.  It's a personal choice.  I hope I NEVER have to use it for the reason I state.  I however do know of people who HAVE had to use it (aside from the member on the forum whom we know has used it) that were close enough to me to change my mind.  And it was recently.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #527 on: July 08, 2012, 08:55:14 pm »

I don't see your statements or positions as that big a deal except that the Bible was written a LONG time ago.  Basic morals etc still apply but references to any kind of technology are obviously dated.  I wonder what the Bible would look like if it were written recently.

Probably would have a bunch of 'yos' and 'dawg' and 'sup' in it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #528 on: July 08, 2012, 09:43:40 pm »

I don't see your statements or positions as that big a deal except that the Bible was written a LONG time ago.  Basic morals etc still apply but references to any kind of technology are obviously dated.  I wonder what the Bible would look like if it were written recently.

Ask Mitt....170 years or so ago is relatively recent...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #529 on: July 09, 2012, 08:05:10 am »

Speaking of Bibles. Does the Koran mention guns or bombs? I have never read it, but I'm sure it probably has some pretty pictures.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #530 on: July 12, 2012, 12:15:53 pm »

"little hero complex" ....oh the irony: http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=18881.msg245057#msg245057
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/07/12/zimmerman.fdle.lab.reports.pdf

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #531 on: July 12, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #532 on: July 12, 2012, 12:45:20 pm »

Over your head?

Why just yesterday you were using an example of applying SYG to "save" a potential "victim"....and damn if today the dense FBI report calls GEEZEE not a racist but a malcontent with a "little hero complex"....exactly the same idea I threw in your direction. Too many people standing around waiting to be 15 minute heroes.

doodoohead?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #533 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:00 pm »

Over your head?

Why just yesterday you were using an example of applying SYG to "save" a potential "victim"....and damn if today the dense FBI report calls GEEZEE not a racist but a malcontent with a "little hero complex"....exactly the same idea I threw in your direction. Too many people standing around waiting to be 15 minute heroes.

doodoohead?

Why don’t you summarize that instead of posting a 15 page report no one has the time to read?

Secondly, are you going to simply step over a woman being raped in a parking garage and say: “Sucks to be you!”?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #534 on: July 12, 2012, 12:55:34 pm »

Why don’t you summarize that instead of posting a 15 page report no one has the time to read?

Secondly, are you going to simply step over a woman being raped in a parking garage and say: “Sucks to be you!”?

911 and butt the hell out.
TeeDub
« Reply #535 on: July 12, 2012, 12:56:44 pm »

....and damn if today the dense FBI report calls GEEZEE not a racist but a malcontent with a "little hero complex"....

I looked through your .pdf and it just seemed to be ballistics data.   Can you link to the psychologist report stating "little hero complex"?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #536 on: July 12, 2012, 01:11:15 pm »

911 and butt the hell out.

So, just allow someone else to sustain an attack and possibly be killed when help may be 10 minutes away and you can possibly save them?

Hope you can live with that if you are ever in such a position and the worst case scenario happens. 

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #537 on: July 12, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »

So, just allow someone else to sustain an attack and possibly be killed when help may be 10 minutes away and you can possibly save them?

Hope you can live with that if you are ever in such a position and the worst case scenario happens. 

Hey, you might be killing a zygote in the process.... Cry

Yes it's none of my business. That's for the police. That's why we pay them. That's why we have taxes. It is not your duty nor mine to judge what's taking place and to respond. Sad fact but true.
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #538 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »

I looked through your .pdf and it just seemed to be ballistics data.   Can you link to the psychologist report stating "little hero complex"?
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/george-zimmerman-fbi-interviews-689452

"the facts remain that IF Mr. Zimmerman had waited in his vehicle for the police office, as instructed' none of this would have happened!
TeeDub
« Reply #539 on: July 12, 2012, 01:22:47 pm »

Yes it's none of my business. That's for the police. That's why we pay them. That's why we have taxes. It is not your duty nor mine to judge what's taking place and to respond. Sad fact but true.

And that sentiment is why we will never agree.   
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org