A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:13 am
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292317 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #480 on: June 05, 2012, 09:25:59 am »

and in related news: %70 seems high....but Floriduh's over 2/3 red neckie so nothing should sooprise us there....
In Florida, Nearly 70 Percent Of People Who Invoked ‘Stand Your Ground’ Walked Away Scot Free
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/03/493908/nearly-one-third-of-shooters-who-invoked-stand-your-ground-walked-away-scot-free/

This thread rocks with guilt!

That means they are actually examining cases and acting on them if 30% of those who invoke the defense aren’t getting by with it.

Do you want to do prison time if you shoot someone who assaults you in front of your house?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #481 on: June 05, 2012, 09:40:24 am »

That means they are actually examining cases and acting on them if 30% of those who invoke the defense aren’t getting by with it.

Do you want to do prison time if you shoot someone who assaults you in front of your house?

CoCo loco, why do you always come to the defense of the minority? and the victim-less? Cheesy
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #482 on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:34 am »

There is no pride in being a victim. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TeeDub
« Reply #483 on: June 05, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »

In Florida, Nearly 70 Percent Of People Who Invoked ‘Stand Your Ground’ Walked Away Scot Free

Sad.   In Oklahoma most everyone who kills someone else in self defense gets to go free.    I guess I am glad I live here and not there.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #484 on: June 05, 2012, 05:05:50 pm »

Sad.   In Oklahoma most everyone who kills someone else in self defense gets to go free.

That someone claims they shot/stabbed/whatever someone else in self defense does not make it so. Many people have this bad habit of lying when the alternative involves a prison cell and a big guy named Bubba.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #485 on: June 05, 2012, 08:12:57 pm »

That someone claims they shot/stabbed/whatever someone else in self defense does not make it so. Many people have this bad habit of lying when the alternative involves a prison cell and a big guy named Bubba.

So the take-away is: be afraid to defend yourself?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #486 on: June 05, 2012, 08:16:43 pm »

So the take-away is: be afraid to defend yourself?

No, the takeaway is that every time one person kills another person it should be thoroughly and fairly investigated, and it should come as no surprise that in some cases people who claim self defense were not actually acting in self defense.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #487 on: June 05, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »

No, the takeaway is that every time one person kills another person it should be thoroughly and fairly investigated, and it should come as no surprise that in some cases people who claim self defense were not actually acting in self defense.

So long as your idea of a thorough investigation doesn’t go as far as Wevus’ notion that everyone should stand trial who defends themselves, I’ve got no argument with that.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #488 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »

So long as your idea of a thorough investigation doesn’t go as far as Wevus’ notion that everyone should stand trial who defends themselves

It was my notion and I stand by it as an ideal. Practically speaking, it ain't going to happen, so I'll take what I can get.

FWIW, the reason I think a trial is the best way to adjudicate guilt or the lack thereof is simply that it's the best means we have of arriving at something approaching the truth and that there's less opportunity for certain people to exert undue influence on the process and get away with something merely because of their community stature or wealth or fame or whatever.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #489 on: June 05, 2012, 09:49:01 pm »

It was my notion and I stand by it as an ideal. Practically speaking, it ain't going to happen, so I'll take what I can get.

FWIW, the reason I think a trial is the best way to adjudicate guilt or the lack thereof is simply that it's the best means we have of arriving at something approaching the truth and that there's less opportunity for certain people to exert undue influence on the process and get away with something merely because of their community stature or wealth or fame or whatever.

*cough* OJ *cough* Simpson *cough* 

You honestly think that money and influence don’t taint juries?  How about a national-scale media circus like the one Zimmerman has been subjected to?  He didn’t ask for it either.  There’s not a single potential juror within the state of Florida or even within the United States who will not be able to say they have not heard about the case beforehand and that they don’t have some sort of preconceived opinion on the case due to proven selective reporting throughout this ordeal.

I’m assuming you’ve never sat on a jury for a week.  If you have, you’d realize a trial would be an un-due penalty on someone who lawfully defended themselves.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #490 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:12 pm »

I’m assuming you’ve never sat on a jury for a week.  If you have, you’d realize a trial would be an un-due penalty on someone who lawfully defended themselves.

Most murder trials don't last a week. I seem to remember The Innocent Man citing some numbers.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #491 on: June 12, 2012, 02:58:16 pm »

The wife's been arrested for perjury.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #492 on: June 12, 2012, 03:18:56 pm »

The wife's been arrested for perjury.

If her husband hadn’t been a racist bastard none of this would have ever happened.

Wait...what?

Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #493 on: June 12, 2012, 04:16:19 pm »

If her husband hadn’t been a racist bastard none of this would have ever happened.

Wait...what?

You can run but you can't hide. Too much evidence. You've left tracks. Cheesy
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #494 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:50 pm »

She's a looker: a tad little white trashy look...the look of evil is in her eyes....

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Shellie-Zimmerman-Arrest-6-12-12.pdf

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org