A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:58:15 pm
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292542 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2012, 12:10:35 pm »

I said nothing about stimulating the economy.  Some things we just cannot or will not afford.

We chose not to do it - EVEN THOUGH we have known for a fact for a long long time that paying for education is NOT a cost center, but a profit center.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2012, 12:13:21 pm »

You aren’t very keen on current events, are you?  Wars are winding down and President Obama swears he’s going to raise taxes.  Zimmerman has been arrested and is awaiting trial.

I assume if Obama is re-elected and he neglects to get taxes raised in the next 4 1/2 years it will still be Bush, Bush, & Reagan’s fault?

They will rise.  All he has to do is wait.  Let them expire.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:40 pm »

Nice try, but it will be the Teabagger/GOP obstinacy that gets us fawked. Look forward?

The Dim Senate won’t even submit a budget.  Dims don’t want tax increases either and did nothing to raise them as they could have between ’09 and ‘11, but blaming the GOP is a nice bogeyman!

Dims leading the dimmer?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2012, 12:17:07 pm »

They will rise.  All he has to do is wait.  Let them expire.

Won’t happen, he chickened out the last time too.  Dim legislators will pout and hold their breath until he declines to do it again.  They’ve got constituents to own up to...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:43 pm »

Won’t happen, he chickened out the last time too.  Dim legislators will pout and hold their breath until he declines to do it again.  They’ve got constituents to own up to...

I bet he will.  There is no future election to worry about and when the next election comes around, the benefits will be so obvious (just like with Reagan, Bush) that all will be forgiven by the general population.

Interesting thing has been happening in the circle of friends/family.  Since Fallin has been such a loud mouth nut case, there are a surprising number (still only a dozen or so) who have come off the most extreme right wing nutcase Merry Go Round and are actually starting to talk some sense.  It all seems to be centered around the plan to eliminate OK's income tax.  The question each of them has asked me is "how are we gonna pay for stuff"?  And I reply - Exactly!  What do you think I have been talking about for years??  Keep on waking up - it is way past time!

And since a good friend went to Texas, and go relief from the 5% income tax, but at an increased cost of an extra $2,000 property taxes OVER what he paid for combined property tax PLUS income tax here, he is not quite as enthralled with the 'no income tax' idea.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:53 pm »

I bet he will.  There is no future election to worry about and when the next election comes around, the benefits will be so obvious (just like with Reagan, Bush) that all will be forgiven by the general population.

Interesting thing has been happening in the circle of friends/family.  Since Fallin has been such a loud mouth nut case, there are a surprising number (still only a dozen or so) who have come off the most extreme right wing nutcase Merry Go Round and are actually starting to talk some sense.  It all seems to be centered around the plan to eliminate OK's income tax.  The question each of them has asked me is "how are we gonna pay for stuff"?  And I reply - Exactly!  What do you think I have been talking about for years??  Keep on waking up - it is way past time!

And since a good friend went to Texas, and go relief from the 5% income tax, but at an increased cost of an extra $2,000 property taxes OVER what he paid for combined property tax PLUS income tax here, he is not quite as enthralled with the 'no income tax' idea.

He may become a lame duck, but he still has to be a company man and run interference for legislators and whomever the Democrat hopeful is in ’16.

My understanding on Fallin’s tax cuts is there is a clear offset with other fees so it balances.  No idea if it’s workable or not.  If it forces government to get smaller, I fail to see that as a bad thing.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2012, 12:36:22 pm »

He may become a lame duck, but he still has to be a company man and run interference for legislators and whomever the Democrat hopeful is in ’16.

My understanding on Fallin’s tax cuts is there is a clear offset with other fees so it balances.  No idea if it’s workable or not.  If it forces government to get smaller, I fail to see that as a bad thing.

You of all people...Huh!!!!  How many times did you drive up and down that turnpike??

Smaller in our case directly means less support of education, roads, infrastructure, and business development.  All the things that we hear her claiming as critical to bringing in more business to the state.  But we all know that since she talks in "1984 Speak", whatever noise comes out of that mouth is the opposite of the real meaning.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2012, 12:50:43 pm »

You aren’t very keen on current events, are you?  Wars are winding down and President Obama swears he’s going to raise taxes.  Zimmerman has been arrested and is awaiting trial.

I assume if Obama is re-elected and he neglects to get taxes raised in the next 4 1/2 years it will still be Bush, Bush, & Reagan’s fault?

I learned of the arrest when it FINALLY happened... better late than never I suppose... and thanks for turning me on to Al Sharpton, $onan71... his show doesn't seem to match your conservative meme for him... funny dat.

It's Obama and the Dems fault that we have no public option AND mandatory medical insurance... could've have given him a pass on one or the other, but not both.... these days, college is no longer an option, it's a necessity... what if, in the name of privatization, we closed down all "public options" in higher education (OU, OSU, NSU, TCC, etc etc) and subsequently "mandated" that all college students go to private schools?... and you wonder why we pay more for medical care than any industrialized country in the world...

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:53:57 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2012, 12:53:49 pm »

Have a nice day!

I think that's his way of saying FU!
 Cheesy

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2012, 12:55:25 pm »

You of all people...Huh!!!!  How many times did you drive up and down that turnpike??

Smaller in our case directly means less support of education, roads, infrastructure, and business development.  All the things that we hear her claiming as critical to bringing in more business to the state.  But we all know that since she talks in "1984 Speak", whatever noise comes out of that mouth is the opposite of the real meaning.

You of all people should know the Turner Turnpike is funded by one of those uber-efficient stand-alone bureaucracies you and Aqua have been vigorously defending and is not dependent on personal income tax but rather a direct user fee.

Smaller can also mean consolidation of wasteful school districts which eliminates over-lapping supervisory positions, over-built prison system, and over-built college/university system.  It can also mean eliminating useless supervisory and clerical positions all over state government.  It doesn’t necessarily have to mean a cut in services, simply streamlining how we get those services.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2012, 12:58:07 pm »

I learned of the arrest when it FINALLY happened... better late than never I suppose... and thanks for turning me on to Al Sharpton, $onan71... his show doesn't seem to match your conservative meme for him... funny dat.

It's Obama and the Dems fault that we have no public option AND mandatory medical insurance... could've have given him a pass on one or the other, but not both.... these days, college is no longer an option, it's a necessity... what if, in the name of privatization, we closed down all "public options" in higher education (OU, OSU, NSU, TCC, etc etc) and subsequently "mandated" that all college students go to private schools?... and you wonder why we pay more for medical care than any industrialized country in the world...

Have a nice day!

That’s some of your best dis-jointed logic yet!  Keep going! 

Hey wait...you aren’t posting from The Empire are you?

Have a great day as well, you liberal hack!!!  Grin

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2012, 01:07:35 pm »

Education shouldn't be harmed all that much, after all it's funding does not really come from the state. Only state highways should be affected (interstates primarily by the fed, and local roads paid for with sales tax). I figure the biggest hit will be taken by the health department or the department of corrections. But again, we have institutions at the county level that mimic many of the services the state provides. I don't think it is going to be the sky is falling scenario you are painting.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2012, 03:08:23 pm »

You of all people should know the Turner Turnpike is funded by one of those uber-efficient stand-alone bureaucracies you and Aqua have been vigorously defending and is not dependent on personal income tax but rather a direct user fee.

Yeah, I know...I threw that in just to make sure you were awake...
And I have been promoting abolition of the turnpikes literally for decades.  Even started a petition just before the last one that went down to defeat several years ago.

The rest stands and is valid.  I hate income tax, but I hate the alternatives worse.  And we got such a double dose of adverse alternatives going on here, it is definitely not funny.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2012, 03:10:54 pm »

If it forces government to get smaller, I fail to see that as a bad thing.

What specific programs do you propose be cut?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #419 on: April 19, 2012, 05:29:10 pm »

We chose not to do it - EVEN THOUGH we have known for a fact for a long long time that paying for education is NOT a cost center, but a profit center.

Sometimes cash flow wins over eventual economy.  My brother once bought a brand new car because the payments on the new car would be the same as the payments on the car he already had.  The car he already had needed tires and some relatively minor repairs that he could not afford on top of the existing car payments.  He wound up making payments for a few more years than he originally planned but the cash flow was there.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org