A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:16:16 am
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292341 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2012, 11:15:28 am »

Like a fox!

A simple "thank you" would have been sufficient.

Cheesy

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #361 on: April 13, 2012, 12:25:17 pm »

Your logic astounds me at times.

The deputies were charged with protecting the public from an armed person firing shots.  He was an obvious danger to the public and the deputies.

I agree, but that wasn't the question.
The question is "is an armed advance on someone self defense?"
...and the answer appears to be "depends..."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #362 on: April 13, 2012, 12:31:34 pm »

“Depends" on whether or not someone is armed and firing a weapon at you or others in close proximity.

Had that been a civilian taking this guy down, I suspect it would have been considered justified.  Would it have been better justified to simply sit there and wait for this guy to empty his gun before asking him to "try these shiny new cuffs on for size"?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #363 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:10 am »

Somewhere in this or another thread. We were talking about how many races that there is. I couldnt quite remember which, but anyway.

Hate crimes are defined as being committed against another race. So if that is the case. Are Jewish people a race ? Painting a Swastika or Star of David on a certain business is considered a hate crime.

I only ask because Jon Lovitz came out against three girls and one of their Mothers for defaming a friend of his house with syrup Swastika's and hate messages on Facebook. All three girls were expelled from the private School. And the Mother is on suspension from her job pending a investigation. She drove the girls there but didnt participate.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #364 on: April 16, 2012, 11:52:09 am »

No, Jewish is not a race. However, most of the hate crimes laws are constructed to include ethnicity and sex.

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2012, 12:24:47 pm »

No, Jewish is not a race. However, most of the hate crimes laws are constructed to include ethnicity and sex.

Yeah. Matthew Shepard comes to mind...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2012, 12:27:53 pm »

Talk about a weird dude. The guy who killed 71 Norwegian school children is admitting guilt but alleging self defense. Why he is still alive I can't imagine.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2012, 12:46:38 pm »

The Rev. Jack$on was complaining that Oklahoma’s hate crime law is not a felony. 

That’s kind of like giving a drunk driver a ticket for his headlight being out after he’s totaled his car.  “Hate crime” is not what I’d consider a stand-alone charge.  It’s going to be filed as a result of an assault or murder.

If it becomes stand-alone, I think we’d all need to be a little scared of government over-reach.  As much as I can’t stand Nazi pinheads they have a right to free speech and if uttering certain epithets became considered “hate speech” and therefore a “hate crime”... well you know where that’s headed...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #368 on: April 16, 2012, 12:51:40 pm »

Talk about a weird dude. The guy who killed 71 Norwegian school children is admitting guilt but alleging self defense. Why he is still alive I can't imagine.

With his fist clinched and in the air with defiance. This was one of his statements.

He said the courts received their mandate from political parties that support multi-culturalism.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2012, 12:57:48 pm »

Talk about a weird dude. The guy who killed 71 Norwegian school children is admitting guilt but alleging self defense.

Even Anthony Kimbrough claimed self-defense when he shot Gus Spanos, but he had a public defender.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2012, 01:34:09 pm »

Why he is still alive I can't imagine.

Because there are people in this world (rightly, in my view) who don't think the state should have the power to take a person's life, no matter how heinous the crime. In this specific case, the question to be decided is whether he's legally insane and therefore needs treatment or if he actually believes his xenophobic smile with sound mind and should therefore go to prison.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2012, 05:12:57 pm »

Because there are people in this world (rightly, in my view) who don't think the state should have the power to take a person's life, no matter how heinous the crime. In this specific case, the question to be decided is whether he's legally insane and therefore needs treatment or if he actually believes his xenophobic smile with sound mind and should therefore go to prison.

Oh, yeah. I understand that. I just don't understand, as a parent, how 71 other parents haven't found a way to snuff him.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27:51 pm »

Gaspar asks a tiny favor to have someone call him crazy and you can't even do that.
What kind of friend are you anyway?

Grin

By the way, Gaspar, you are crazy.

I find more than enough other reasons to call him crazy, so when he exhibits these moments of extreme lucidity, it's tough to call crazy....don't want to discourage him.  And even when he is saying crazy, it's not so much that as just not completely informed - which at times is indistinguishable from insanity.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »

Of course it depends - that must be self evident.  The county dudes were responding to an event that had already started with acts of violence. 

Zimmerman initiated an act of violence.  Big difference.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #374 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:03 am »

Of course it depends - that must be self evident.  The county dudes were responding to an event that had already started with acts of violence. 

Zimmerman initiated an act of violence.  Big difference.

No, it appears Zimmerman created a confrontation and Martin initiated the violence in response.  Get with the script, man!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org