A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:42 pm
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292426 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #315 on: April 09, 2012, 02:39:34 pm »

And then there is this. You want National attention ? Then expect National reaction.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/09/11102214-racial-slur-on-mich-road-sign-targets-trayvon-martin?lite

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #316 on: April 09, 2012, 02:50:38 pm »

Doesn't mean charges won't be filed.  And in many cases like this I've been told, the Grand Jury is bypassed.

Correct, but it does mean that the offense will most likely be manslaughter or lesser.

I am very interested in what the evidence is that would lead the state attorney to discount a grand jury?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:14 am »

So Reverend Al will be in Tulsa as early as today. Cant wait to see that Photo op with Jack Henderson. Big smiles and hugs all around. I havent seen him yet but I'm sure Roscoe Turner cant be to far away.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2012, 10:11:33 am »

So Reverend Al will be in Tulsa as early as today. Cant wait to see that Photo op with Jack Henderson. Big smiles and hugs all around. I havent seen him yet but I'm sure Roscoe Turner cant be to far away.

Fortunately Roscoe is not as hard-wired as Henderson on race issues.

Unfortunately, I think Roscoe is hiding his own Easter eggs these days.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #319 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:45 am »

And then there is this. You want National attention ? Then expect National reaction.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/09/11102214-racial-slur-on-mich-road-sign-targets-trayvon-martin?lite

Wonder what the U of Mich prof that went on NPR to get after Tulsa (another thread) thinks about his own backyard...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #320 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:01 pm »

" If I had a son, he'd look like Christopher Newsom."
This story is now making the e-mail rounds and is absolutly appalling. I have never heard of it. Wonder why ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Channon_Christian_and_Christopher_Newsom

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #321 on: April 10, 2012, 12:27:32 pm »

This story is now making the e-mail rounds and is absolutly appalling. I have never heard of it. Wonder why ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Channon_Christian_and_Christopher_Newsom

I have a son.  Doesn't matter what he looks like.  A horrific crime like this has no color.  

To color the crime to serve some outside agenda is evil, and only promotes more evil.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #322 on: April 10, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »

I have a son.  Doesn't matter what he looks like.  A horrific crime like this has no color.  

To color the crime to serve some outside agenda is evil, and only promotes more evil.

I have two sons and that was my attempt at sarcasm and to bring attention to this case like our President did.
My pull with the press just isn't as large as his.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #323 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:10 pm »

What is this supposed to add to the current discussion?  How does this have anything to do with the Zimmerman/Martin shooting? 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #324 on: April 10, 2012, 09:49:22 pm »

What is this supposed to add to the current discussion?  How does this have anything to do with the Zimmerman/Martin shooting? 

Not a damned thing, I mean, other than: 1) the stupid double standard when it comes to crime and its black on white and, 2) the fact that the then-sitting president didn't stick his damned nose into the mess talking about how those white victims looked like him. Were those victims typical white people? That might also explain why the story didn't hit the media very hard.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #325 on: April 10, 2012, 09:50:08 pm »

That's one of the arguments against hate crime legislation as a general matter. And I agree. 

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #326 on: April 10, 2012, 09:52:50 pm »

I read that Zimmerman's lawyers have bailed out due to lack of contact with their client. Also, I read Zimmerman had talks with Sean Hannity, who did not share the substance with those lawyers. This mess is now way beyond a freakin circus. I blame Bush.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201204100012

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #327 on: April 10, 2012, 10:01:45 pm »

Not a damned thing, I mean, other than: 1) the stupid double standard when it comes to crime and its black on white and, 2) the fact that the then-sitting president didn't stick his damned nose into the mess talking about how those white victims looked like him. Were those victims typical white people? That might also explain why the story didn't hit the media very hard.

1) double standard how?  

There's virtually nothing similar between the two cases.  How the 2007 atrocity is supposed to illuminate the Zimmerman/Martin shooting is beyond me. 
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2012, 07:21:54 am »

I guess I am missing the "Typical" part of your point. So Treyvon was more "Typical" black than Christopher was white. That has got to be the most........never mind. I'm not going to insult another poster for their view on this topic.

But you and I know. The press picks and chooses what topic or incident that they want to be racial. I still have to go back to the two ORU students killed from behind while jogging. Oh but wait a minute. They werent the "Typical" white either.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2012, 07:41:26 am »

1) double standard how?  

There's virtually nothing similar between the two cases.  How the 2007 atrocity is supposed to illuminate the Zimmerman/Martin shooting is beyond me.  

Okay, I’ll take a swing at it.

After hearing the un-edited 911 tapes, it doesn’t appear the Martin case was a hate crime, nor even racially motivated.  Yet the media, the usual racist attention whores, and the president have all weighed in on this and tried to turn it into a hate crime or at least racially-motivated.

Reading what was done to the two white victims in 2007 was not the result of sick perversion, it’s a very very clear indication of a deep-seated hatred.  Where are the hate crime charges?  Where’s the outcry about bias or prosecutorial incompetence in over-turning the original convictions due to a judge with a substance abuse problem?  

The setting and manner of the two incidents are quite different, yes.  However, I don’t see the 2007 case as ever being treated as a hate crime when there is no doubt it was pure evil and hatred behind what those victims endured.  I don’t recall Jack$on or $harpton taking the time to address this hate crime and call for a march to action against interracial violence.  I don’t recall the New Black Panthers ever issuing a bounty on these low lifes.  

I see it as a double-standard as I’m quite certain had this been a gang of white men who did this to a young black couple, it would have been treated far different by the media and those who believe that racism and racist acts only exist in the minds of white people.  You can be sure we would have heard of the case had the circumstances been different.  The case would have been sensationalized as the perfect example of a hate crime.

There’s your double-standard.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:43:03 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org