A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:59:49 pm
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292417 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #285 on: April 04, 2012, 07:54:33 am »

Wait, Wait...How all of the sudden do we know the "History" of the Sanford and Son Police department ? I dont live there, I have never lived there, My family or friends have never lived there. So what are we to base that on ? spoon fed media info or a wikipedia search ?

My opinion is that all Police Departments are corrupt to a extent. It's human nature. Very hard to have that much power over lowly law breakers and control it.

All police are racist. Get with the program!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2012, 07:56:50 am »

All police are racist. Get with the program!

Did I ever claim racism?  I'm claiming misconduct, as I stated in citing the Wikipedia page with their citations noted.

Yep, putting words in people's mouths.  You've been doing it a while now.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2012, 08:08:52 am »

Zimmerman’s father is a retired magistrate, yes?

What sort of schooling do you have to have prior to becoming a judge?  Perhaps the Sr. Zimmerman was acting on his son’s behalf as his attorney.  He did have a right to have an attorney present at all times after he was taken into custody.

The second officer’s account in the police report says he observed Zimmerman had a wet back, bloody nose, and abrasions on his head.  He was tended to by the SFD paramedics as he sat in the police car.  Sounds like they cleaned him up at the scene.

Just saying those are obvious things still being overlooked.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2012, 08:22:16 am »

Did I ever claim racism?  I'm claiming misconduct, as I stated in citing the Wikipedia page with their citations noted.

Sorry.  I was jumping to conclusions before others arrived there.  We will get there soon enough.  Wink

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #289 on: April 04, 2012, 08:47:09 am »

Wikipedia in this instance.  And sources are cited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_Police_Department_(Florida)#Misconduct

So while bemoaning the 'oh, it's Wikipedia so you KNOW it's right', consider the fact that all those referenced in that section are cited with the 'spoon fed' media reports.

Roll Eyes

Ok out of the four instances cited. Only one was race related. Hardly a History for the city.
But we really could talk about a City with History of race relation problems. And we are still trying to appease and make amends 91 years later. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_Race_Riots

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:31 am »

Ok out of the four instances cited. Only one was race related. Hardly a History for the city.
But we really could talk about a City with History of race relation problems. And we are still trying to appease and make amends 91 years later. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_Race_Riots

And like I said, I wasn't the one citing race.  I'm citing a pattern of misconduct for a police department.  As everyone keeps pointing out here, it's not necessarily about race, although in time we'll come to know one way or the other.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2012, 09:23:30 am »

And like I said, I wasn't the one citing race.  I'm citing a pattern of misconduct for a police department.  As everyone keeps pointing out here, it's not necessarily about race, although in time we'll come to know one way or the other.

Hoss,

1. This will be about race, because that's the card that carries no penalty to play.
2. If Zimmerman does not receive a conviction there will be protest, even if it is proven that he acted in self defense.
3. If Zimmerman is convicted of manslaughter, there will be protest because he was not convicted of murder.
4. Any individual, group, or organization that aids in Zimmerman's defense or testifies on his behalf will be branded as racist. This includes law enforcement, EMTs, or witnesses.

This case has been tried by the public and Zimmerman is white, and is guilty.  Nothing can change that.  The mob has spoken.  Zimmerman has been branded a witch and will be burnt. 

I am hopeful that justice will be served, and if guilty, Zimmerman will face the full force of the law, and serve as an example to others that feel compelled to take the law into their own hands beyond what is legal. . .but I am only hopeful.  The damage created by the sensationalization, race-baiting and political marketing is deep.  For some like Jessy Jackson and Al Sharpton, this will fuel their enterprises for years to come.  For others who have adopted this tragedy as a political platform to push their agendas, Trayvon will be immortalized as a symbol for their campaigns. 

This was a tragic incident with lots of moving parts.  It was disrespected and distilled into whatever people wanted it to be.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2012, 09:57:04 am »

This was a tragic incident with lots of moving parts.  It was disrespected and distilled into whatever people wanted it to be.

The most honest assessment I’ve read anywhere.  Thanks for the lucid moment, I think everyone needs to let that sink in.

It’s particularly disturbing to see how the media obviously edited various accounts and evidentiary items to manipulate evidence in the court of public opinion. 

Anyone remember all the comments after Casey Anthony walked?  Nancy Grace and her ilk spent two years trying and convicting Anthony on the news every night.  The result was millions of people second-guessed a jury who was specifically charged with hearing the case and making a determination on Ms. Anthony’s fate.  The jury had to abide by the court rules and go on what they were allowed to hear. 

I’ve just about given up on getting any sort of honest account out of any news outlet any more.  It’s not treated as news and facts, it’s strictly entertainment.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:33 am »

Nancy Grace and her ilk spent two years trying and convicting Anthony on the news every night.

It aint Ted Turner's CNN anymore, but rather some talk-show machine that mistakes Grace for a journalist.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #294 on: April 04, 2012, 10:51:51 am »

It aint Ted Turner's CNN anymore, but rather some talk-show machine that mistakes Grace for a journalist.

Funny I was just thinking last night as I was trying to get a handle on what had happened in Dallas and all I could find on “HLN” was more headless corpse stories: “Why do they even call it ‘Headline News’ anymore? They don’t have any headlines!"

dbacks fan
« Reply #295 on: April 04, 2012, 10:57:21 am »

Funny I was just thinking last night as I was trying to get a handle on what had happened in Dallas and all I could find on “HLN” was more headless corpse stories: “Why do they even call it ‘Headline News’ anymore? They don’t have any headlines!"

HLN has become the CoutTV/Entertrashment channel.  My dad and I have made the comment several times about whether or not most of the people on CNN/Faux/MSNBC are really journalists at all since most of them just read a script and a teleprompter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nPRgUKj7Vo&feature=related[/youtube]
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #296 on: April 04, 2012, 11:38:39 am »

I find the racism assumption with your response to be reasonable since you replied to:

That would certainly explain why there has been NO EMPHASIS AT ALL on the pesky details that the kid was black and the shooter is white.

With:
Maybe there wouldn't have been as much had the Sanford PD not had a history with it.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #297 on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:41 pm »

The second officer’s account in the police report says he observed Zimmerman had a wet back, bloody nose, and abrasions on his head.  He was tended to by the SFD paramedics as he sat in the police car.  Sounds like they cleaned him up at the scene.

Turned out, they canceled the ambulance for Zimmerman, although it may be that they did that because they realized there wasn't anything to be done for Martin, so the folks responding for him could also treat Zimmerman.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #298 on: April 06, 2012, 07:27:27 am »

So now it sounds like Zimmerman may not have said the "Racial Slur" on the 911 recording.
CNN (no really) had the recording enhanced and instead of 'f***ing c**ns' it now sounds like 'f***ing cold'

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #299 on: April 06, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »

I know I would have said the same thing if I were walking around outside when the temperature was in the low to mid 60s.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org