A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:34:07 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 296878 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2012, 11:52:42 am »

Auqa. Those were called "Dash" not really sure I ever ran a 200 or 600 yard one though.

I think you are right. The 600 at my school was called the "600 yd walk or run" which was a necessary nod to what was actually happening. It was part of the Presidents Fitness program that started under Kennedy. We were encouraged to participate, which meant forced.

onward...through the fog
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #241 on: April 03, 2012, 01:07:35 pm »

Cases like this, in the modern world, will absolutely suffer from a very high noise to signal ratio.  There's going to be a lot of bullshit spouted, because between the world that Fox News and the internet created, we're a population of know-it-all rage-heads, and not afraid to spew about what we don't know about.  What's happening here will now ALWAYS happen, and it won't matter if it gets lib dander up or gets all you cons in lather.  Lamenting that is fruitless and a waste of precious calories.

Well stated.

I do disagree that race is a necessary part of this particular incident. My son (a 6 foot tall white 13 year-old) loves to wear hoodies and goes to school in North Tulsa. I shudder to think about him running into a crazed neighborhood watch guy like Zimmerman.

Zimmerman had called 911 41 times in two months. He was obsessed with his hobby and probably thought of himself as some sort of superhero protecting his neighborhood.

But I have to agree with we v us. I am just a know-it-all rage head on this. I don't really know what kind of guy Zimmerman really is. I just know a lot of people he reminds me of and that scares me.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »

(Zimmerman is mixed race, fwiw)

Not according to Nathan, since Hispanic is not a race.

Who gets to decide what race a bi-racial person is?  President Obama is always called our first black president, yet he’s half-white.  What makes him more black than white?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:30:27 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »

I'm sure this web site won't help the argument. But I was surprised that it even exists.

http://www.savewhitepeople.com/

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2012, 01:49:24 pm »

As with everything in the liberal world, I am learning that it is necessary to shift and redefine things to fit popular purpose and political objectives.

Why don't you ask a "hispanic" person what they think of the term rather than making it some stupid liberal v. conservative BS?

If Zimmerman's mother was Asian, he would be White-Asian, and Asian would no longer be considered a race.

Yeah, now you're just making smile up.

Conan, in the US, Obama is black because he's dark skinned and has "black blood" and that's how we've always done it. On the islands, at least, he'd be considered white since he's got a white parent and has brown (as opposed to black) skin. Not that it really matters what Zimmerman is. You don't think minorities can be scared of each other?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2012, 01:55:05 pm »

Zimmerman had called 911 41 times in two months. He was obsessed with his hobby and probably thought of himself as some sort of superhero protecting his neighborhood.

But I have to agree with we v us. I am just a know-it-all rage head on this. I don't really know what kind of guy Zimmerman really is. I just know a lot of people he reminds me of and that scares me.

No one ever mentions this, so i apologize if it has been covered already. Michael paints Zimmerman as an overzealous superhero nut (you're not the only one). Understandable considering the evidence. However, the neighborhood watch program was started about six months before this shooting, after a sting of burgleries by predominantly black perpetrators. And according to several reports I read Zimmerman did call the cops 40 some odd times (since 2004, averaging once a month in the twelve most recent months. They vary depending on what you read so I don't know what to believe). Looking at it from that perspective it seems that Zimmerman was just a frustrated neighbor that didn't want his neighborhood to go to pot. They do the same thing in Detroit (albeit, no one has been shot to my knowledge).

I am in by no means pardoning Zimmerman for his actions. He did acted stupidly (to quote our great leader), and his actions are most likely the ones that lead to this young man's death. He acted out of passion, not reason. I understand his frustration, but don't pardon his actions. That said, I don't know if he broke the law either.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:56:43 pm by erfalf » Logged

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2012, 01:59:17 pm »

Why don't you ask a "hispanic" person what they think of the term rather than making it some stupid liberal v. conservative BS?

Yeah, now you're just making smile up.

Conan, in the US, Obama is black because he's dark skinned and has "black blood" and that's how we've always done it. On the islands, at least, he'd be considered white since he's got a white parent and has brown (as opposed to black) skin. Not that it really matters what Zimmerman is. You don't think minorities can be scared of each other?

To the usual racist tools, they wanted it to appear to be a case of someone of the majority shooting a minority so it would become another case of white on black violence, ergo a hate crime.  Thus far no one has managed to provide a pattern of racist behavior for the half-Jew half-Hispanic.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2012, 02:00:27 pm »

No one ever mentions this, so i apologize if it has been covered already. Michael paints Zimmerman as an overzealous superhero nut (you're not the only one). Understandable considering the evidence. However, the neighborhood watch program was started about six months before this shooting, after a sting of burgleries by predominantly black perpetrators. And according to several reports I read Zimmerman did call the cops 40 some odd times (since 2004, averaging once a month in the twelve most recent months. They vary depending on what you read so I don't know what to believe). Looking at it from that perspective it seems that Zimmerman was just a frustrated neighbor that didn't want his neighborhood to go to pot. They do the same thing in Detroit (albeit, no one has been shot to my knowledge).

I am in by no means pardoning Zimmerman for his actions. He did acted stupidly (to quote our great leader), and his actions are most likely the ones that lead to this young man's death. He acted out of passion, not reason. I understand his frustration, but don't pardon his actions. That said, I don't know if he broke the law either.

The neighbors claim that there have been 15 burglaries recently and all were done by young black men.

How exactly do they know that? Or do they assume that?
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »

To the usual racist tools, they wanted it to appear to be a case of someone of the majority shooting a minority so it would become another case of white on black violence, ergo a hate crime.  Thus far no one has managed to provide a pattern of racist behavior for the half-Jew half-Hispanic.

Half-jew half-Hispanic on black violence can also be a hate crime. 
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2012, 02:08:18 pm »

The neighbors claim that there have been 15 burglaries recently and all were done by young black men.

They're probably all racists.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2012, 02:21:55 pm »

Ummmm. Eyes?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2012, 02:35:11 pm »

Not according to Nathan, since Hispanic is not a race.

Who gets to decide what race a bi-racial person is?  President Obama is always called our first black president, yet he’s half-white.  What makes him more black than white?

You take the cake.

Do you have a clue as to how the race is determined?

Seriously, you need to go to Camp Anytown.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2012, 02:39:40 pm »

You take the cake.

Do you have a clue as to how the race is determined?

Seriously, you need to go to Camp Anytown.

You miss the point.

I never had you pegged for a literalist.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2012, 02:42:12 pm »

OK, I must be missing the sarcasm and satire....

But I think you don't see the point.

Don't take offense. I like using you as an example.... Grin
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2012, 02:44:50 pm »

OK, I must be missing the sarcasm and satire....

But I think you don't see the point.

Don't take offense. I like using you as an example.... Grin

I’ve always been a great example or poor example.  Just glad I’m not anonymous.  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org