A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:54:04 pm
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292471 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2012, 01:52:32 pm »

This is why it is so important not to rush to judgement on things like this.  

The unedited 911 tapes have been available from Sanford's website for a month. Whose fault is it if you chose not to listen to them? Also, I would love to see any evidence you have of NBC or anyone else airing the tape in edited form.

BTW, the tweets and stuff were reported in the Daily Caller, but the people digging them up (and misidentifying a Facebook page as Martin's. which is where the "thuggish" photos originate, by the way) were none other than the fine folks at Stormfront. One presumes less overtly racist folks have taken up the effort by now, but I don't know for sure.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2012, 02:29:34 pm »

The unedited 911 tapes have been available from Sanford's website for a month. Whose fault is it if you chose not to listen to them? Also, I would love to see any evidence you have of NBC or anyone else airing the tape in edited form.

BTW, the tweets and stuff were reported in the Daily Caller, but the people digging them up (and misidentifying a Facebook page as Martin's. which is where the "thuggish" photos originate, by the way) were none other than the fine folks at Stormfront. One presumes less overtly racist folks have taken up the effort by now, but I don't know for sure.

I guess I'm not following you, besides your constant desire to find a way to disagree with me an others.

Is there something wrong with not rushing to judgment?  Is there some wisdom in trying people based on all of the fluff and heresy presented by the media that I am unaware of?  Is there perhaps an excellent case study with some graphs or something that shows how effective mob justice really is?

As always, we await your expert adjudication.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2012, 03:00:52 pm »

Also, I would love to see any evidence you have of NBC or anyone else airing the tape in edited form.

It looks as if NBC is conducting an internal probe over the edited version of the tape Gassy is talking about. Is that sort of evidence good enough for ya?

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2012/04/01/furor-over-edited-trayvon-911-tape-spurs-internal-nbc-probe/

And why is there this rush to judgment? If people are pissed about the police not arresting Zimmerman, I get it. Rail away. But it seems that the vitriol is directed at Zimmerman and the effort to turn this tragedy into a new front on the race war. Seriously, "white" Hispanics? Jackson and Sharpton? It's disgusting.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »

Seriously, "white" Hispanics?

Hispanic isn't a race, my friend. Besides, there's plenty of blanco vs. negro to our south. Not that it's terribly relevant to this case. Zimmerman may or may not be a racist or have said a racist thing, but it doesn't change the fact he stalked and gunned down a kid.

As far as rushing to judgement goes, people do that all the time. In this case, few people are calling for anything more than Zimmerman being arrested and put on trial. His not having been arrested certainly doesn't help the outrage in the least.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2012, 05:18:24 pm »

Hispanic isn't a race, my friend. Besides, there's plenty of blanco vs. negro to our south. Not that it's terribly relevant to this case. Zimmerman may or may not be a racist or have said a racist thing, but it doesn't change the fact he stalked and gunned down a kid.

As far as rushing to judgement goes, people do that all the time. In this case, few people are calling for anything more than Zimmerman being arrested and put on trial. His not having been arrested certainly doesn't help the outrage in the least.

Then why call him a "white Hispanic"? What's the damned point of referring to his race anyway unless it was to make it a white on black thing. Period. And you asked for evidence of an edited tape and I gave it to you. Do you also want to talk about the video footage of Zimmerman's injury from ABC? This thing needs to play out before anyone gets convicted. Hell, the way you portray it, Martin was minding his own business and some white guy just walked up and shot him for no reason.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2012, 05:30:52 pm »

Hell, the way you portray it, Martin was minding his own business and some white guy just walked up and shot him for no reason.

Best evidence is that Martin was indeed minding his own business until Zimmerman decided to confront him. Zimmerman himself could not articulate anything suspicious about Martin on the 911 call other than the fact he was walking down the street while it was raining (as if that isn't a daily occurrence in central florida) and that he was wearing a hoodie.

NBC airing or not airing an edited version of the tape makes no difference to the audio recordings that have been available for a month. Maybe better evidence will be available at trial than is presently publicly available. That's what trials are for.

Whether or not Zimmerman used a racist slur in his complaint about "those [whatever]s" always getting away doesn't matter that much. People are outraged at him for shooting Martin. People are outraged at the Sanford PD because they have a long history of racism in their department and this seems to be just one more in a long line of events reinforcing that. I don't know if it is or not. I'm glad that investigations are occurring; hopefully they will be conclusive one way or the other.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:32:44 pm by nathanm » Logged

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2012, 06:41:23 am »

Nate,

Thanks for the explanation on race.  In the future I will correct the DMV, IRS, Public School System, Census, Health Insurance Companies, College Admissions Offices, and all other organizations that have that little "RACE:" box on their applications that allow you to check HISPANIC as a selection.

I always thought race was based on geographic ancestry, ethnicity, or just phenotypic characteristics.  As with everything in the liberal world, I am learning that it is necessary to shift and redefine things to fit popular purpose and political objectives.

If Zimmerman's mother was Asian, he would be White-Asian, and Asian would no longer be considered a race.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2012, 07:29:04 am »

Nate,

Thanks for the explanation on race.  In the future I will correct the DMV, IRS, Public School System, Census, Health Insurance Companies, College Admissions Offices, and all other organizations that have that little "RACE:" box on their applications that allow you to check HISPANIC as a selection.

I always thought race was based on geographic ancestry, ethnicity, or just phenotypic characteristics.  As with everything in the liberal world, I am learning that it is necessary to shift and redefine things to fit popular purpose and political objectives.

If Zimmerman's mother was Asian, he would be White-Asian, and Asian would no longer be considered a race.

Back before rocks turned into dirt, I was taught there are four races, Caucasian, Negro, Asian, and American Indian.  (Not sure about the proper names at the time for Blacks and Asians and American Indians.)   Geographic isolation probably allowed that development.   World travel allowed mixing.  Maybe we are no better than alley cats and mutts now.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:36 am »

Then why call him a "white Hispanic"? What's the damned point of referring to his race anyway unless it was to make it a white on black thing. Period. And you asked for evidence of an edited tape and I gave it to you. Do you also want to talk about the video footage of Zimmerman's injury from ABC? This thing needs to play out before anyone gets convicted. Hell, the way you portray it, Martin was minding his own business and some white guy just walked up and shot him for no reason.

According to reporting at the WaPo, the NYT coined the term(Zimmerman is mixed race, fwiw) and then, when it became a distraction (and attracted a rant from Bernard Crazypants Goldberg on Fox) dropped it in favor of "hispanic."  Their rationale is that, because it's being looked at as a civil rights case, race is important. 

If you feel like believing that's part of the Great Liberal Make-You-Whiteys-Feel-Bad-About-Yourselves Conspiracy, I can't stop you, but you should at least hear how it actually played out, and not how Bernard Crazy Goldberg is saying it did.

In my opinion, race IS important in this case, but it's much less important what Zimmerman is or is not, and it's much more important what Martin was, which was definitely African American.  And which was, at least in great part, the reason he was shot. The discussion about the stand your ground laws is obscuring the only race angle that really matters, that an unarmed black kid was stalked by and then supposedly grappled with a guy who was visibly packing heat, and -- surprise! the black kid winds up dead and the guy who was packing heat has a far less than ironclad alibi, and yet the police look the other way and won't even touch the gunman until there're nationwide demonstrations.  IMO, THAT'S where race intersects with this case, and focusing on how bad it is that a newspaper bungles a single descriptor (and then course-corrects, fwiw) is the typical Fox News misdirection tactic.  And Guido, you're falling for it. 

Cases like this, in the modern world, will absolutely suffer from a very high noise to signal ratio.  There's going to be a lot of bullshit spouted, because between the world that Fox News and the internet created, we're a population of know-it-all rage-heads, and not afraid to spew about what we don't know about.  What's happening here will now ALWAYS happen, and it won't matter if it gets lib dander up or gets all you cons in lather.  Lamenting that is fruitless and a waste of precious calories.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2012, 09:31:16 am »

In the future I will correct the DMV, IRS, Public School System, Census, Health Insurance Companies, College Admissions Offices, and all other organizations that have that little "RACE:" box on their applications that allow you to check HISPANIC as a selection.

I wouldn't put too much faith in what you see as choices on a lot of those forms. They are not the arbiters of what race is. They keep track of information for reasons other than a scientific definition of race. As I pointed out on another thread, a good definition is on Wiki and refers to the dilution of the labels for the three major races into general terms for both political and pragmatic reasons.

Remember, they also used to ask women college applicants the nature, timing and character of their menstrual cycles, and, signs on gravel trucks assure you they are not responsible for damage to your car. Go figure.

onward...through the fog
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:25 am »

Red,

Who taught you American Indian was a race?

Not true.

3 races. That's it....

You've heard me say it before, but in 50 years there will still be 3 races. Just fewer full blooded. A lot fewer....the George Zimmerman's of the world and right wing butt boys will not be able to guess who is a "coon" and who isn't.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EcAkZrCnRYA[/youtube]

TTC
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2012, 10:26:11 am »

Red,
Who taught you American Indian was a race?

I think it was in elementary school.  So long ago I don't remember the details but I do remember more than 3.  Maybe that was the thing in the 50s.

Edit:
Maybe it was Eskimos
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:37:30 am by Red Arrow » Logged

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2012, 10:28:19 am »

Its easy to confuse with the other four races from grade school....the 50yd, 100yd, 200yd and 600yd races. Easy mistake. Grin

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:06 am »

Its easy to confuse with the other four races from grade school....the 50yd, 100yd, 200yd and 600yd races. Easy mistake. Grin

Probably not.  I was a lousy athlete even then.  I did OK in classroom studies though.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2012, 11:46:40 am »

Auqa. Those were called "Dash" not really sure I ever ran a 200 or 600 yard one though.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org