A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:50:03 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon."  (Read 292436 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »

Conan, when there is no justice how can you say "no justice?"

Everyone's starting to show their true colors....again! Kiss

Indeed.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2012, 01:39:09 pm »

Indeed.

fix my quote.....
when there is no justice how can you say "mob justice?"
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »

Conan, when there is no justice how can you say "mob justice?"

Everyone's starting to show their true colors....again! Kiss

You don’t think the NBP advertising a $10,000 reward for Zimmerman’s “capture”, 10,000 people descending on Sanford demanding his arrest, or  people protesting for prosecution under federal hate crime laws isn’t a form of idealized mob justice?

You suppose the three black guys who capped the white Mississippi college student will be brought up on hate crime charges when they are caught?

Interesting, seems everyone has forgotten Zimmerman, whether he’s guilty of a crime or not, has rights too.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2012, 01:49:52 pm »

So, you do not think this suspect should be arrested for murder?
Stop with your false equivalencies already....
Being tried by a jury is the test....Zimmerman's arrest is being withheld by an inept police department.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2012, 01:53:54 pm »

fix my quote.....

when there is no justice how can you say "mob justice?"

There has been no trial, except in the minds of those who would deal justice based on authority they derive from the mob.

Quick justice is passionate and dangerous.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2012, 01:57:26 pm »

if the prosecutors say Zimmerman was justified under stand your ground and that there’s not enough evidence for first degree manslaughter, then there simply is not enough.

"We're not talking about a prosecutor, a judge or a jury. We're talking about a law enforcement officer deciding that those people don't need to weigh in because charges need not be filed. They alone have determined that something as potentially serious as taking another human being's life is justified by way of this (Stand Your Ground) vague threshold"

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »

Looks like some of our ardent (fill in the blank) don't want any trial....because it would have been brought on by Mob mentality. That's quite a stretch in justice, don't you think?
There seems some discomfort over confronting the enduring role of racism in America....

Why's that?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:52 pm »

For them, this case has already been decided on the basis of race, and no evidence to the contrary will change that.  

Hey, keep on making smile up if it makes you feel better. Most people I've seen have been calling for a trial, not an immediate lynching. Go figure.

I'm still not sure why the idea of the criminal justice system doing its thing is so threatening to a certain segment of society.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2012, 02:02:19 pm »

So, you do not think this suspect should be arrested for murder?
Stop with your false equivalencies already....
Being tried by a jury is the test....Zimmerman's arrest is being withheld by an inept police department.

In my opinion, Zimmerman should probably be tried for manslaughter.

Problem is, at least to this point, those who have the most facts in the case (not you, not I, not the media) say charges are unwarranted, per his rights under Florida law. 

I’d hope my rights are never usurped by public opinion, how about you?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2012, 02:03:51 pm »

"We're not talking about a prosecutor, a judge or a jury. We're talking about a law enforcement officer deciding that those people don't need to weigh in because charges need not be filed. They alone have determined that something as potentially serious as taking another human being's life is justified by way of this (Stand Your Ground) vague threshold"

You need to read further into this.  Apparently, the prosecutor has refused to file charges.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2012, 02:05:52 pm »

In my opinion, Zimmerman should probably be tried for manslaughter.

Problem is, at least to this point, those who have the most facts in the case (not you, not I, not the media) say charges are unwarranted, per his rights under Florida law. 

I would agree.  He will also most certainly face quite a civil battle.

I anticipate a change in Florida law based on this incident and perhaps a change in several states.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »

I would hope that the police would make a full investigation that didn't include witness tampering if you did ever shoot and kill someone. I also hope you would get a fair trial.

And Gaspar, please stop making smile up. Victim blaming just makes you look like a dolt.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2012, 02:08:09 pm »

What if you wanted to exercise your right to express an opinion, and someone else's opinion was that some vague curfew law trumped that right?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:10:43 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Teatownclown
City Father

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »

I’d hope my rights are never usurped by public opinion a corrupt and inept police department, how about crackers?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »

I would hope that the police would make a full investigation that didn't include witness tampering if you did ever shoot and kill someone. I also hope you would get a fair trial.

And Gaspar, please stop making smile up. Victim blaming just makes you look like a dolt.

Where am I blaming the victim?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org