A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:56:40 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100% gas  (Read 7162 times)
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« on: March 14, 2012, 02:28:11 pm »

I just ran through a tank purchased from Sinclair and got over 2mpg increase.

Can you imagine the kind of racket money they are making off that ethanol?  I am never going back.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »

I thought I could see a drop in mileage with my old F-150 a few summers back when QT went to E-10, then at some point the mileage seemed to return.  With the Sonata I drive now, I average the same whether I get 100% or 90% fuel.  I realize others have similar results to yours, I just don't seem to see it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 03:03:11 pm »

I've seen no difference as everyone is really selling 90% gas. The only difference is QT it 10% ethanol and the people charging 20-30 cents more are using 10% MTBE (which is ironically also based on alcohol)

Modern engines adjust over time for the change which is why you rarely see anyone with a long term analysis. I vary 2-3mpg per tank every tank.

It takes a lot more than a promise of 1mpg to get me to pay 10% more for gas.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:07:27 pm »

I'v run only 100% for about two years now because I was having problems with slight rough idle.  It made a major difference in how the car ran and the increase in mileage was also about 2-3mpg. My wife did the same thing, and gets a 1mpg boost. I change my own oil on both cars and have noticed that the old oil is nowhere as dirty as it used to be at oil change.  Both cars are 2008 models.

Considering that her car gets around 17mpg and mine about 24, gas with ethanol puts around a 8% hit on mileage, but only costs about 5% less than 100% gas at the Valero station.  We also get a free 20oz fountain drink with every fill-up witch makes up for the fact that the Valero on 67th and Sheridan is an absolute armpit. Buying 100% gas is actually costing us less, and perhaps, if the color of the oil is an indicator, it is less damaging to the engine.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:10:13 pm »

Dang are you guys telling me that the Sinclair gas is more expensive than say QT, cuz I didn't really look. Shocked  No win situation I guess.

Either way, I am quite familiar with my mileage and driving habits.  I get maybe 320 miles to a tank running it bone dry.  Since I put the Sinclair in there, I got 365 miles, and still had another 30 miles in it.  

Anyway, I just filled 'er up again today....we'll see what happens.

But yeh, back when they first started putting that crap in there, I thought I had problems with my car due to the mileage drop...took it in to the shop 2 or 3 times asking them what the hell Cheesy
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:17:03 pm »

Got a car already set to use flex-fuel but don't use it for obvious (availability) reasons.  I get about 24mpg in the Avenger.  Haven't run a full tank of no BS gas in it yet, so I don't really know what mileage it gets.  I might try it once after I run it all the way down nearly to see how it does.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:22 pm »

When I first moved to AZ there were two types of gas in Phoenix, summer blend which contained 10% MTBE and winter blend which is 10% ethanol, and the winter blend was always higher than the summer. (You cannot get 100% gas in Phoenix and Tucson so that the areas can maintain clean air standards) In the first couple of years there (starting in 98) I never noticed any real difference in mileagein my car and never had any issues with the fuel. After MTBE was banned in AZ and E90 E10 became the norm was when I started noticing a difference and that became even more noticeavle with the car I have now. During the summer with E90 E10 regular (87oct) my car would knock and ping even when not usinge the A/C and the only way to make it stop was to go to mid-grade. During the rest of the year it was not a problem. I found out from some friends that are certified mechanics that the ethanol blend doesn't bur efficiently in the hot dry air, where as the MTBE compensated for it.

Here is an article on the affects in gasoline pricing from 2005. (You can draw your own conclusions)

http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136&languageId=1&contentId=35692

And an article on the difference in pricing between winter and summer blends in Phoenix.

[url][http://ktar.com/?nid=388&sid=986682/url]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:25:57 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:23:19 pm »

When I first moved to AZ there were two types of gas in Phoenix, summer blend which contained 10% MTBE and winter blend which is 10% ethanol, and the winter blend was always higher than the summer. (You cannot get 100% gas in Phoenix and Tucson so that the areas can maintain clean air standards) In the first couple of years there (starting in 98) I never noticed any real difference in mileagein my car and never had any issues with the fuel. After MTBE was banned in AZ and E90 became the norm was when I started noticing a difference and that became even more noticeavle with the car I have now. During the summer with E90 regular (87oct) my car would knock and ping even when not usinge the A/C and the only way to make it stop was to go to mid-grade. During the rest of the year it was not a problem. I found out from some friends that are certified mechanics that the ethanol blend doesn't bur efficiently in the hot dry air, where as the MTBE compensated for it.

Here is an article on the affects in gasoline pricing from 2005. (You can draw your own conclusions)

http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136&languageId=1&contentId=35692

And an article on the difference in pricing between winter and summer blends in Phoenix.

[url][http://ktar.com/?nid=388&sid=986682/url]

I think you mean E10, right?  E90 infers 90 percent ethanol.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 05:24:45 pm »

I think you mean E10, right?  E90 infers 90 percent ethanol.

Yes, you are right I will edit it. Thanks. I wouldn't want anyone to think of me as some noob that lacks trolling skills.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:42:56 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:16:45 pm »

Dang are you guys telling me that the Sinclair gas is more expensive than say QT, cuz I didn't really look. Shocked  No win situation I guess.

Either way, I am quite familiar with my mileage and driving habits.  I get maybe 320 miles to a tank running it bone dry.  Since I put the Sinclair in there, I got 365 miles, and still had another 30 miles in it.  

Anyway, I just filled 'er up again today....we'll see what happens.

But yeh, back when they first started putting that crap in there, I thought I had problems with my car due to the mileage drop...took it in to the shop 2 or 3 times asking them what the hell Cheesy

That's my biggest complaint about QT -the ethanol.  SWMBO uses QT in her car, and I can't seem to get her to change.  The one I go to most is the same price as the Sinclair across the street. 

Since I buy diesel, it doesn't affect me.  Get yourself a Dodge RAM with diesel and you will get 20 to 23 mpg.  (I have gotten as high as 26 mpg in this truck, driving route 66...just can't keep myself that slow for too long.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 07:15:31 pm »

I wouldn't want anyone to think of me as some noob that lacks trolling skills.  Cheesy

lol, there's nothing wrong with being a noob.  And there's certainly nothing wrong with not being a troll.  But if you are a troll, and you think you're better at it than me, you might need to pack a lunch. Cheesy

I been meaning to get at you about that job you are looking for as well, will put it in the other thread.

The one I go to most is the same price as the Sinclair across the street.

I'm glad to hear that...I will take a closer look next time I fill up, but all things being equal, I don't see any reason for myself to go back.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:22:10 pm »

Somewhere down the line I read or heard that the reason that stations that sell 100% gas (which really isn't, but that is another discussion) is because the tanks had flaws in them which kept them from being rated for E10.  Don't know how much truth is to it, and too tired to go to the google.
dbacks fan
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 07:44:24 pm »

Somewhere down the line I read or heard that the reason that stations that sell 100% gas (which really isn't, but that is another discussion) is because the tanks had flaws in them which kept them from being rated for E10.  Don't know how much truth is to it, and too tired to go to the google.

Close, it was the 10%MTBE gas mix that was the cause, because it was not only leaking from tanks, but pipelines as well since ground water contamination started happening in states that did not require the MTBE/gas mixture.

Congress also is weighing a nationwide ban of MTBE, which has been linked to cancer and has leaked from pipelines and storage tanks into surface waters and groundwater in 36 states. But Congress’ proposal would ban MTBE by 2014, long after many of states will have prohibited it.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:48:46 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:08 pm »

lol, there's nothing wrong with being a noob.  And there's certainly nothing wrong with not being a troll.  But if you are a troll, and you think you're better at it than me, you might need to pack a lunch. Cheesy

I been meaning to get at you about that job you are looking for as well, will put it in the other thread.

A - I'm not a noob here
B - I don't troll, I'll call you outright and I don't wuss out in that aspect by stalking with PM's
C - The resume was mostly sarcasm, I am currently caring for an elderly parent, so my chance of moving      anywhere to work is on hold for the time being.
TheMindWillNotLetGo
Activist

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:49 pm »

A - I'm not a noob here

No one said you were...okay, well you kind of alluded to it here.

B - I don't troll, I'll call you outright and I don't wuss out in that aspect by stalking with PM's

No one said you did...okay, well you kind of alluded to it here.  But even in the other thread, I wasn't addressing you about it, I think I was talking to Hoss...I could be wrong.  I appreciate the straight-forwrdness, as I am the same.

C - The resume was mostly sarcasm, I am currently caring for an elderly parent, so my chance of moving anywhere to work is on hold for the time being.

Okay, well maybe I missed something, this a Tulsa forum, you not in Tulsa?  Anyway, condolences or whatever on the current situation, I know that can be quite a difficult period to go through.  I get the sarcasm now, but you were quite specific in your post, and although sarcasm was one of my options, I thought I would check for sure.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org