A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:26:10 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Joes  (Read 57955 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 10:44:03 am »

Goldies:  Tulsa's worst best hamburger

Good description.

I always did like the pickle bar at Goldies....

Bill's and Lot-A-Burger - if ya can't cook 'em at home, those are pretty much it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 10:46:18 am »

Good description.

I always did like the pickle bar at Goldies....

Bill's and Lot-A-Burger - if ya can't cook 'em at home, those are pretty much it.

And Hank's, Ron's and Freddie's.  All three make damn good burgers.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 10:57:23 am »

And Hank's, Ron's and Freddie's.  All three make damn good burgers.

Hanks, yeah.  Ron's get honorable mention for trying hard, but they got a long way to go on their chili - sawdust Ike's Chili Bowl.  Freddies??  The frozen custard place?Huh

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 10:59:55 am »

Hanks, yeah.  Ron's get honorable mention for trying hard, but they got a long way to go on their chili - sawdust Ike's Chili Bowl.  Freddies??  The frozen custard place?Huh

No, there are two Freddie's in town.

South Lewis and the newer one on E 11th just east of Eastwood Baptist Church on the south side of the street.

And the frozen custard place is "Freddy's".  Not "Freddie's".

And Ron's..it depends on the location.  I'll only go to the one on 21st and Garnett.  The one by my work at 15th and Sheridan has some differences on what they do that is different enough to make me not go there.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:02:58 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:28 am »

Used to live across the street from Hank's in a tiny house south of the ice place, and west on Admiral.  Would walk over there quite a bit - early 70's.  Good sh$$, Maynard!!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 11:04:05 am »

Used to live across the street from Hank's in a tiny house south of the ice place, and west on Admiral.  Would walk over there quite a bit - early 70's.  Good sh$$, Maynard!!

Ah, I have two friends that live on that little street behind the old Amway building.  I live on the street down where the Vegas Club used to be.  I remember when that used to be a pizza place when I was growing up.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 11:20:22 am »

Ah, I have two friends that live on that little street behind the old Amway building.  I live on the street down where the Vegas Club used to be.  I remember when that used to be a pizza place when I was growing up.

Which one was Amway?

Amazing how old I am...those two buildings on south side of Admiral were empty field when I lived there....just west of 89th east avenue.  Been through the building's "life" cycle - newly made, full of someone's new hopes and dreams...up to now - mature operations that have been there a while.  And the first one looks boarded up...

Admiral Blvd - 8805 I think was the address - the last house on the left.  They have trees now!!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 11:29:38 am »

Which one was Amway?

Amazing how old I am...those two buildings on south side of Admiral were empty field when I lived there....just west of 89th east avenue.  Been through the building's "life" cycle - newly made, full of someone's new hopes and dreams...up to now - mature operations that have been there a while.  And the first one looks boarded up...

Admiral Blvd - 8805 I think was the address - the last house on the left.  They have trees now!!

It's likely 8804 as all those houses are on the south side of the street and EW streets use even addresses on the south side of those streets.

The old Amway building (no longer in that location) is the building on the south side of Admiral place that is just west of 89th East Ave.  Across the street to the west from the ice plant.  And if I remember correctly most of those houses down that street are converted mobile homes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:32:28 am by Hoss » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 11:45:41 am »

It's likely 8804 as all those houses are on the south side of the street and EW streets use even addresses on the south side of those streets.

The old Amway building (no longer in that location) is the building on the south side of Admiral place that is just west of 89th East Ave.  Across the street to the west from the ice plant.  And if I remember correctly most of those houses down that street are converted mobile homes.

Empty building then...

No, they weren't mobiles!  They were a bunch of little "spec" houses stick built by a guy who was into building small places around town in the 50's and 60's.  They were very inexpensively built, but seem to have held up.  They 'felt' fairly well made at the time - just small.  Cheap aluminum windows.  Single car garage.  On a cinder block footing.  This is the small, tiny house model I am using as starting point for design of next (last) place.  Later rented another one the same guy built in Glenpool for a while.

Rented for $100 a month, and bills were reasonable (I probably still have old utility bills from there... talk about hoarding!)  All the houses were built by same guy, and he would rent or sell them - offered to us for $9,000.  Thought it was high, since bought a brick house right after that near 11th and Pittsburg that only cost $13,000....about the same size.  But the payment was much higher - $114 a month!!

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 11:47:15 am »

What do you mean? There's a Rib Crib just a bit north of there?  Smiley

I'm sorry, but Rib Crib is not BBQ. When I was still in Tulsa 20 years ago it was to BBQ what Monterey's was to Mexican food.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 11:52:12 am »

I'm sorry, but Rib Crib is not BBQ. When I was still in Tulsa 20 years ago it was to BBQ what Monterey's was to Mexican food.

Monterey's in the 60's was not what it was 20 years ago...or today, either.... it used to be mostly edible...

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 11:55:14 am »

Empty building then...

No, they weren't mobiles!  They were a bunch of little "spec" houses stick built by a guy who was into building small places around town in the 50's and 60's.  They were very inexpensively built, but seem to have held up.  They 'felt' fairly well made at the time - just small.  Cheap aluminum windows.  Single car garage.  On a cinder block footing.  This is the small, tiny house model I am using as starting point for design of next (last) place.  Later rented another one the same guy built in Glenpool for a while.

Rented for $100 a month, and bills were reasonable (I probably still have old utility bills from there... talk about hoarding!)  All the houses were built by same guy, and he would rent or sell them - offered to us for $9,000.  Thought it was high, since bought a brick house right after that near 11th and Pittsburg that only cost $13,000....about the same size.  But the payment was much higher - $114 a month!!

Hmm..I can remember when my parents bought the house I now live in/own.  It was 1973 and they were renting the front duplex of a house from my dad's stepfather at 14th and Elgin.  Then we were told we were going to have to move (east leg of the IDL would run through our back yard) so the search was on, as my mom told the story.  They almost bought a house out way east (at that time it was 188th East Ave and Admiral I believe), but my dad's auto mech teacher from Rogers High knew of a house for sale right next door to him.  So that's where we wound up.  The house was $14,500 and I remember the mortgage payment was about $120 I believe.  They paid the house off around 1990 and now the house is worth about $75k or so.

My dad's auto mechanic teacher still lives next door, is well into his eighties, and still tends the cattle ranch he owns out past Collinsville.  Every so often he brings me meat from there.  Steaks and some ground beef.  Very nice man and super nice in the last month once he learned my mother passed.  This might not be the greatest area of town in some people's view, but I love it here.  All my neighbors are very respectable and we all look out for each other.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 04:19:55 pm »

Hanks, yeah.  Ron's get honorable mention for trying hard, but they got a long way to go on their chili - sawdust Ike's Chili Bowl.  Freddies??  The frozen custard place?Huh

What about Bill's, Claude's, Harden's, Linda-Mar, and Ted's?  Just off the top of my head...

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 04:32:09 pm »

What about Bill's, Claude's, Harden's, Linda-Mar, and Ted's?  Just off the top of my head...

I just never quite liked Harden's.  I've never tried the others.  Even Bill's.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 05:12:04 pm »

What about Bill's, Claude's, Harden's, Linda-Mar, and Ted's?  Just off the top of my head...

Bill's is one of those where we started.

Harden's is another one that I feel was resting on its laurels.  Was very good about 197x.  I have been disappointed in the last 15 years or so when have gone there.  (Haven't been in several years - are they still open?)

Ted's - new one to me...where is that?  Am always on a quest for a good burger.

Oh, yeah... Claud's.... they should get honorable mention, too, but I never cared for onions cooked into the burger, so never went there after a time or two....

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:16:10 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org