A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:07:22 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Joes  (Read 58169 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 02:29:26 pm »

I live near Collinsville and might give that a shot this weekend.

Two things, 1, do you recall of they have grilled cheese, burgers, or dogs on their (kids) menu and 2...
How to get there!!! Shocked)

He's got none of that right now - really doesn't have a 'menu' yet.  Basically, you can buy meat by the pound, or in sandwich form with chips.  Sadly, somewhat sparse, but what he has is exceptional.  And sauce.  He started out with ribs and pork, but last time we were there (1 1/2 weeks ago) he had hot links but no pork.  (He has corrected the issue he had with pork that one week - equipment failure.)  It is VERY bare bones place - literally a smoker and small work table under a tent.  Our scenario is to go there, buy the meat, then take it home or to a picnic place.  (Bring your own picnic fixin's - we always carry a cooler with.)  Open about 11:00 am.

One scenario we did recently - and this is the directions to his place - drove up 169 to Oologah and turn right at the stop light onto highway 88 eastbound.  Go along the road a while - in a couple miles, you will see a little building on the left (north side) that has a Black Jaxx sign.  This is NOT it - that is the place that burned a few years ago.

Little further along, you will cross the dam, and go past Redbud Bay Marina.  Another mile or two, there is a small community of lake area dwellers - no name.  You are getting close.  As you come to the end of the little town, BEFORE you get to the overflow spillway, the tent will be down in a little hollow area, with a very small, hard to see sign near the road.  Turn left down that driveway.  The kids name is Kenny.  Very nice guy who seems determined to be a he$$ or of (edit) a barbeque guy and cooks meat like it should be.  Tell him the green pickup truck people sent  you... you won't get a discount, 'cause he doesn't really know us, but he will know the truck and it might get a smile out of him.

Buy some stuff.

Here is the rest of the scenic trip... go back to Oologah and head north on 169 again.  Just before you get to the school, take a left on road E0390.  Take a nice leisurely ride through the countryside to highway 75 north.  Turn right.  At the center of Ramona, turn left on Wyandotte Road (E3350).  Ride for a while until you come to highway 11, then turn right to go through Wolco. (Oklahoma Gazetteer from WalMart really helps a lot for this!)  Continue through Barnsdall, to Tallant and Pershing, turning right on highway 99 to Pawhuska.  Go to the center of town, turn right at the triangle shaped building, then continue through the welcome sign on Main street and go another 15 miles to the Tall Grass Prairie headquarters.  Just at the entrance to the visitors center is a very nice little picnic area, with several tables and lots of big trees with shade!!  Enjoy lunch!!

Watch out for buffalo!  

Second scenario that is equally good...
The next time you do this, turn right on highway 123 just before Barnsdall and continue to the Woolaroc entrance.  Have your picnic there.  And go through the museum!  My favorite is the shrunken heads - real!! - from South America!  Plus everything else they have.  Check out the mountain man camp - they will let you throw a tomahawk or shoot a muzzle loading rifle!  Lots of stuff for everyone to see!!

I stay away from main roads as much as possible so can see rural Oklahoma as much as possible.  Sure, it takes a little more time, but the pace is much more enjoyable.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:29:33 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 03:15:30 pm »

Does he have running water for sanitation purposes when he’s prepping and cooking?  I try to avoid stomach cramps and diarrhea at all cost.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

Does he have running water for sanitation purposes when he’s prepping and cooking?  I try to avoid stomach cramps and diarrhea at all cost.

Yes.  A few feet (75??) away at the house.  And gloves.  And lots of those sanitizers that people are so fond of.  I don't like to use them, but they are apparently pretty effective. Kind of like what you see at the barbeque contests - in fact, cleaner that some of the booths I have seen at some of those....or maybe a fair?

Furr's and Waffle House are the ones that worry me...since I have been sick at them before.

I too, try to avoid that stuff.  Have never had even a hint of a problem in the half dozen times we have been there so far.  No guarantees in life, but I ain't gonna stop going there.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:30:34 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 12:45:37 pm »

Nice place.

Great smoked briskett.
Meh on the beans but I'm picky on my baked/bbq beans.
Will be back.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 01:44:20 pm »

Nice place.

Great smoked briskett.
Meh on the beans but I'm picky on my baked/bbq beans.
Will be back.

Joe's beans??  You didn't like??  Hmmm...I really like them except for the green bell pepper.  If they left that out, it would be really good!

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »

Joe's beans??  You didn't like??  Hmmm...I really like them except for the green bell pepper.  If they left that out, it would be really good!

Yep, the green pepper.
Would be stellar without it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 04:08:18 pm »

Yep, the green pepper.
Would be stellar without it.

That's for sure - the pepper really puts me off the beans...they could be sooo good without it.  (I eat them anyway, but would like them better...)

Stone
Activist

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 08:44:02 am »

I've noticed an Oklahoma Joe's delivery truck parked at 61st and Sheridan (Park Plaza shopping center?) for a couple weeks now. There seems to be a vacant space directly west of Chopsticks. Coincidence??

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 09:10:00 am »

I've noticed an Oklahoma Joe's delivery truck parked at 61st and Sheridan (Park Plaza shopping center?) for a couple weeks now. There seems to be a vacant space directly west of Chopsticks. Coincidence??

Not familiar with where Chopsticks is.  Would this be the old Pepper’s space?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Stone
Activist

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 07:58:19 am »

Not familiar with where Chopsticks is.  Would this be the old Pepper’s space?
Not sure about Pepper's since I've only been in Tulsa eight years. It's in the same general area as El Guacho Brazilian steak house.  The Oklahoma Joe's truck is strategically parked in the parking lot right along 61st street. Would be a nice to have them as a BBQ option in that part of town.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 12:18:18 am »

Not sure about Pepper's since I've only been in Tulsa eight years. It's in the same general area as El Guacho Brazilian steak house.  The Oklahoma Joe's truck is strategically parked in the parking lot right along 61st street. Would be a nice to have them as a BBQ option in that part of town.

What do you mean? There's a Rib Crib just a bit north of there?  Smiley

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 08:58:41 am »

61st where the old Goldie's used to be.  I believe it will be a new Joe's.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 09:59:17 am »

When did Goldie’s close?

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 10:29:52 am »

Goldies:  Tulsa's worst best hamburger
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 10:33:38 am »

Goldies:  Tulsa's worst best hamburger

I tried to explain it to many people as I could as Tulsa's local version of Fuddrucker's.  I was never really very impressed with it, but you were able to put greenery on your burger yourself at the condiment bar.  Hence the comparison to Fuddrucker's.  However the last time I ate at Fuddrucker's I got food poisoning.  LOL.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org