A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:29:42 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Joes  (Read 58205 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:03 pm »

Went there tonight for a pulled pork (B&B laugh) and sausage sandwich and french fries. Just over $9.00 for both, but amounts to 2 meals. I really like the atmosphere and the young man at the "to go" counter was very chatty and welcoming.  I liked it enough that I will go back.

Incidentally, stopped by the "Chop House" BBQ at 41st & Memorial. Walked out after waiting at register to order and no one helped me. Besides, didn't like sides of potato salad just sitting out in a hotel pan.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:32:17 pm »

Went there tonight for a pulled pork (B&B laugh) and sausage sandwich and french fries. Just over $9.00 for both, but amounts to 2 meals. I really like the atmosphere and the young man at the "to go" counter was very chatty and welcoming.  I liked it enough that I will go back.

Incidentally, stopped by the "Chop House" BBQ at 41st & Memorial. Walked out after waiting at register to order and no one helped me. Besides, didn't like sides of potato salad just sitting out in a hotel pan.

They do have friendly people.

No beans??  That is one of the high points of the place!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:17 am »

They do have friendly people.

No beans??  That is one of the high points of the place!

Where the hell were you 4-5 hours ago? You really let me down. Guess I'll have to go back sooner than expected.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:09:07 pm »

Where the hell were you 4-5 hours ago? You really let me down. Guess I'll have to go back sooner than expected.

Still working.  (Some of us have to put in long hours....)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:55:35 am »

MC and I got the Electra Glide out of the barn yesterday to go see some spring colors and wound up out by Oklahoma Joe’s so I figured we should stop in.

I had the rib and extra meat plate- I chose sliced brisket and got the spicy slaw on the side.

MC got the Carolina pulled pork sandwich- pulled pork & spicy slaw on a bun.

I don’t usually get sliced brisket because it dries out too easily.  No issue there, it was well smoked, sliced thin and seemed to have very little fat.  Ribs were tender, had a great smoke ring, and great flavor.  I didn’t really detect a heavy presence of rub.  I wash’t aware they serve their ‘que with sauce on it unless you ask otherwise.  I prefer mine dry so I can add sauce as necessary.

Speaking of sauce: the hot sauce is what I consider a mild to medium.  Great flavor, but if you like a great tongue burn, this isn’t it.  Personally, I don’t like obnoxious heat in a sauce so the subtlety was appreciated.  Same with the spicy slaw.

MC loved her sandwich.  She said it’s some of the best BBQ pork she’s ever had.

One other thing I did appreciate that others may not, is they don’t pile on the food, it’s reasonably portioned.  I didn’t feel bloated when I left and, not sure how to describe it other than the food had a very “clean” smoked flavor.

Her sandwich was $6.19 and my plate was $12.49 as I recall.

They did have a Sunday special I was wishing I had tried, a smoked prime rib.  1/2 pound cut is $14.95, full pound, $17.95.  Served with a loaded potato. 

I’ve had a lot of BBQ over the years, I’d rank Oklahoma Joe’s in the top 10-15 of every place I’ve tried.  Locally, it’s in the top five for me.  We will make the drive out there again, well worth it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:50:18 am »

Should have tried the beans.

I posted this in the Burn Co thread after your mention of Ok Joes, not realizing this thread was active, but I am hearing Joe will open his next location at Tulsa Hills.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:14:59 pm »

Ate there again this weekend.  Brisket sandwich was delicious.  

Nothing beats a Brisket sandwich with a nice Foster's (oil can) and then a stroll through Bass Pro!

Joe has done a good job.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:16:39 pm »

Ate there again this weekend.  Brisket sandwich was delicious.  

Nothing beats a Brisket sandwich with a nice Foster's (oil can) and then a stroll through Bass Pro!

Joe has done a good job.

I trust your opinion on things that are grilled and or smoked but I've not had your luck there.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:18 pm »

I trust your opinion on things that are grilled and or smoked but I've not had your luck there.

I've heard from some that they have their days.  I've caught them on a few good ones. 

Also worth noting, I typically eat lunch at around 11am, and that's the best time to eat at any BBQ joint.  The later you wait, the longer the product sits on a steam table or in a warmer.

Our wonderful heath dept requires you to keep meats at 160 degrees (instead of 140) so BBQ really suffers.  30mins to late and you've got a dry brisket!  I do know a secret on how to overcome that, but I will probably take it to the grave with me.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 02:32:33 pm »

I've heard from some that they have their days.  I've caught them on a few good ones. 

Also worth noting, I typically eat lunch at around 11am, and that's the best time to eat at any BBQ joint.  The later you wait, the longer the product sits on a steam table or in a warmer.

Our wonderful heath dept requires you to keep meats at 160 degrees (instead of 140) so BBQ really suffers.  30mins to late and you've got a dry brisket! 

Thanks for that.  I'll keep it in mind.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:00:18 pm »

I still want to try the smoked prime rib special at some point.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 07:04:47 pm »

30mins to late and you've got a dry brisket!  I do know a secret on how to overcome that, but I will probably take it to the grave with me.

Better living through chemistry?  Oh, wait.  That was DuPont.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:30:23 am »

Better living through chemistry?  Oh, wait.  That was DuPont.

Actually, physics!  Wink

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:24 am »

Take a weekend drive to Oologah and try Black Jaxx.  Ribs and pork is all he is doing so far, do to limited facilities - smoker and a tent.  Beans are an intermittent side.  

Un Be Lieve Able good!

(Directions - again - on request.)

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:19 am »

Take a weekend drive to Oologah and try Black Jaxx.  Ribs and pork is all he is doing so far, do to limited facilities - smoker and a tent.  Beans are an intermittent side.  

Un Be Lieve Able good!

(Directions - again - on request.)

I live near Collinsville and might give that a shot this weekend.

Two things, 1, do you recall of they have grilled cheese, burgers, or dogs on their (kids) menu and 2...
How to get there!!! Shocked)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org