A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:38:25 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jobless Growth Forecast  (Read 17792 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #90 on: February 29, 2012, 05:19:51 am »

I find this rather odd. . .

The SNAP/Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, celebrates their success in distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food stamps in their history.  A triumph preached from the alters of the poverty pimps  like Jessie Jackson.  Benifits for the unemployed have also been extended to historic durations and amounts, and that too is celebrated by people like Nancy Pelosi and Vallerie Jarritt as "the best economic stimulus" to help people help themselves.

However, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior just down the hall, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed The Animals." This is because the animals may grow dependent on handouts and not learn to take care of themselves.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: February 29, 2012, 07:28:07 am »

I find this rather odd. . .

Try drinking your morning coffee before posting. It will help you not make stupid comments that imply that people who work low wage jobs or are out of jobs are animals. I know you didn't mean it that way, but not everyone is inclined to be so generous.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: February 29, 2012, 07:44:23 am »

but not everyone is inclined to be so generous.

One "aw crap" wipes out 1000 "atta boys"

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:52 am »

Why is the psychology any different for humans than animals.  We both habituate to situations in similar ways.

If you give a person food, shelter, and other subsidies, they grow to expect that just like animals.  My point is clear.  Food stamps, and other subsidies may be a fantastic safety net, but no matter how you wish to spin it, increasing the subscription by a population on such subsidies is not economic stimulus, and WILL increase overall dependence for a very long time.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 09:17:36 am »

Why is the psychology any different for humans than animals.  We both habituate to situations in similar ways.

If you give a person food, shelter, and other subsidies, they grow to expect that just like animals.  My point is clear.  Food stamps, and other subsidies may be a fantastic safety net, but no matter how you wish to spin it, increasing the subscription by a population on such subsidies is not economic stimulus, and WILL increase overall dependence for a very long time.

Your point is disgusting and simplistic.  People respond not only to physical needs but also to a host of emotional and intellectual and spiritual factors.  We may share animal qualities but we are very very different beasts. 

It's also worth noting that most primates are pack animals and will share feeding grounds amongst themselves.  Not a whole lot of free market action amongst lion prides on the Serengeti.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:28 am »

Your point is disgusting and simplistic.  People respond not only to physical needs but also to a host of emotional and intellectual and spiritual factors.  We may share animal qualities but we are very very different beasts. 

It's also worth noting that most primates are pack animals and will share feeding grounds amongst themselves.  Not a whole lot of free market action amongst lion prides on the Serengeti.

Did you take behavioral psych?  Learned helplessness cuts across many species.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2012, 09:40:38 am »

Did you take behavioral psych?  Learned helplessness cuts across many species.

Yep but it isn't the only consideration, and from a moral standpoint should be very far down the list in how we make decisions to govern.   Why?  Because it undercuts the rationale for every building block of society and of governance.  Why offer any sort of help doing anything if it promotes learned helplessness?  It's antithetical not only to big government but to the idea of government at all. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2012, 10:05:51 am »

Yep but it isn't the only consideration, and from a moral standpoint should be very far down the list in how we make decisions to govern.   Why?  Because it undercuts the rationale for every building block of society and of governance.  Why offer any sort of help doing anything if it promotes learned helplessness?  It's antithetical not only to big government but to the idea of government at all.  

I don't know of anyone who doesn't think a hand-up or temporary assistance is good.

What's moral about creating a permanent underclass?  You, more than anyone on here, seem to buy the social justice meme.  There are people who whose grandparents raised their parents on welfare and food stamps, who are now raised their own kids on food stamps, and now the third (or more) generation is raising their own family on food stamps.  I mean really, what is moral about government-sanctioned impoverishment?

I mentioned this the other day:  I personally know of four people who are not actively seeking employment until they've completely exhausted their unemployment benefits.  I don't suspect they are the only four people in Tulsa County who aren't going to put down the bong and go look for work until a lack of government-supplied resources dictates they will have to.

Allowing people to starve is immoral.  There's nothing just or moral about providing too many avenues to take the easy way out though.  JMO, I think charity was far better handled by the spiritual community and within the family.  Government, by nature, simply cannot be compassionate enough to properly administer charity and a hand-up.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:07:31 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:56 am »

Yep but it isn't the only consideration, and from a moral standpoint should be very far down the list in how we make decisions to govern.   Why?  Because it undercuts the rationale for every building block of society and of governance.  Why offer any sort of help doing anything if it promotes learned helplessness?  It's antithetical not only to big government but to the idea of government at all. 

I understand what you are saying, but go back and read again.  I am talking about touting such programs as stimulus or some kind of economic success.

Yes, they may be moral or spiritual successes, but to somehow spin them and example of your great economic prowess is just wrong.

. . .and no matter how you view the expansion of dependency, it is still dependency.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2012, 10:20:11 am »

I don't know of anyone who doesn't think a hand-up or temporary assistance is good.

. . .  I mean really, what is moral about government-sanctioned impoverishment?

Nutin, but it sure helps turnout at the polls.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2012, 01:25:02 pm »

What's moral about creating a permanent underclass?  You, more than anyone on here, seem to buy the social justice meme.  There are people who whose grandparents raised their parents on welfare and food stamps, who are now raised their own kids on food stamps, and now the third (or more) generation is raising their own family on food stamps.  I mean really, what is moral about government-sanctioned impoverishment?

Correlation is not causation. There was generational poverty long before food stamps and there will be generational poverty long after food stamps.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org