A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:02 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 122002 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »

...latex ... paint ... dip that puppy in

I hope you never run for President. You just recommended dipping puppies in latex paint. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2012, 02:11:10 pm »

I hope you never run for President. You just recommended dipping puppies in latex paint. Wink

Keeps them warm for the long drive.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2012, 02:14:36 pm »

Keeps them warm for the long drive.

I think the word you were looking for is "preserved".

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2012, 02:26:58 pm »

Condoms are made from latex as is paint. Just keep a gallon near the bed, dip that puppy in and run a fan over it to dry. You should be good.

Saran Wrap works in a pinch.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2012, 02:30:38 pm »

Saran Wrap works in a pinch.

Stay away from Reynolds Wrap though, unless you don't want them to know what you're thinking!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »

Stay away from Reynolds Wrap though, unless you don't want them to know what you're thinking!

You are on the gaspar today, sir....

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »

Condoms are made from latex as is paint. Just keep a gallon near the bed, dip that puppy in and run a fan over it to dry. You should be good.

That makes me think of the Makers Mark commercial......ouch !

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »

The church should remove itself from the workings of society, that way we won't have to worry about any more inquisitions.
If the church wants government to butt out of its dealings as an employer then the church needs to keep its nose out of government
If the church doesn't want to pay for birth control for the non-Catholics that it hires? Don't hire any, and make sure the Catholics you hire don't waste any seed.
I want small Government influence and small organized religious influence in my life.

That's why I'm a Protestant. That's the Church for me, If I want, I can wear a rubber sheath on my ol fella and not worry about impregnating you...... I couldn't help thinking of "The meaning of Life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgHHhw_6g8

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 07:56:40 pm »

Really, when a religious organization operates a business it's an employer?...Now, the idea that an employee of a religious-oriented business should not have that religious viewpoint imposed on them is a non-starter to me. You don't like what the catholic church has to say on contraception or abortion? Work elsewhere.

Let's talk about a specific, Guido.  I think even you would agree that a hospital is not a church. They are not primarily supported by donations or tithes from the faithful.  They bill people for services just like any other business.  They are no different from any other business, and they shouldn't be permitted to use their religious beliefs as an excuse to deny their employees medical needs.  It's an unfair advantage for a religiously affiliated business. 

Where does it stop?  If a business owner said some terms of medical insurance violated his personal belief system, could he deny certain medical procedures to his employees?  I'm thinking of those who prefer the power of prayer rather than modern medicine.   

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:42 pm »

Let's talk about a specific, Guido.  I think even you would agree that a hospital is not a church. They are not primarily supported by donations or tithes from the faithful.  They bill people for services just like any other business.  They are no different from any other business, and they shouldn't be permitted to use their religious beliefs as an excuse to deny their employees medical needs.  It's an unfair advantage for a religiously affiliated business. 

Where does it stop?  If a business owner said some terms of medical insurance violated his personal belief system, could he deny certain medical procedures to his employees?  I'm thinking of those who prefer the power of prayer rather than modern medicine.   

I cannot get passed the "bricks and sticks" confines of a religious institution as you suggest; meaning, whether something is a church does not limit where its dogma/tenets/teaching may be passed along. St Francis in Tulsa is a Catholic-oriented health care facility. This is from their website:

As a Catholic organization Saint Francis Health System seeks to reflect the presence of Christ in every personal and corporate encounter. Saint Francis Health System operates according to the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services and continually strives to integrate those values put forward in these directives.

We believe that each person is made in the image and likeness of God, and thus we pledge to deliver quality healthcare to all we serve, giving special reverence to those who are newly conceived or near death. Because we believe that healthcare is a basic human right, our service to the regional community includes working to shape public policy to ensure that the root causes of ill health and suffering are addressed and eradicated. We seek to develop programs that reach those most in need - the poor, the alienated, the aged - all who struggle for full dignity within our society.

Our mission charges us to provide a place and an environment that instills confidence, trust and hope. By demonstrating to a suffering person that his or her life is precious, we seek to help them discover its meaning and truth. The intended outcome of our combined efforts both for those we serve and for ourselves is a renewed hope for union with the authentic goal of the journey of life and a profound gratitude for each life overflowing into the community at large.

That's its mission, whether one likes it or not. Same goes for private clubs such as Southern Hills or Tulsa Country Club. They employ numerous people; however its members rights to free association and federal law permit them to conduct their business differently than non-private/public businesses. Now, you can argue that the health care field is different, or that Catholic hospitals receive government monies, or any other justification to impose on them requirements similar to public hospitals which is fine. But in my very humble opinion, if you hold yourself out as a religious-oriented hospital, that's what you are and you can act consistent with that.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 08:14:07 am »

That's why I'm a Protestant. That's the Church for me, If I want, I can wear a rubber sheath on my ol fella and not worry about impregnating you...... I couldn't help thinking of "The meaning of Life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgHHhw_6g8

This forum always goes to Marshall's, Blazing Saddles or the Meaning of Life...its the way of things. Oh and for good measure no one has called anyone else a nazi for awhile so: shut up nazi.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 08:16:48 am »

It's just a easy way to take the edge off a deep subject. Sorry Carlton.  Roll Eyes

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:30 am »

This forum always goes to Marshall's, Blazing Saddles or the Meaning of Life...its the way of things. Oh and for good measure no one has called anyone else a nazi for awhile so: shut up nazi.

Wow! Been forever since a thread has been Godwinned!  Good going!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 08:58:54 am »

I cannot get passed the "bricks and sticks" confines of a religious institution as you suggest; meaning, whether something is a church does not limit where its dogma/tenets/teaching may be passed along. St Francis in Tulsa is a Catholic-oriented health care facility. This is from their website:

That's its mission, whether one likes it or not. Same goes for private clubs such as Southern Hills or Tulsa Country Club. They employ numerous people; however its members rights to free association and federal law permit them to conduct their business differently than non-private/public businesses. Now, you can argue that the health care field is different, or that Catholic hospitals receive government monies, or any other justification to impose on them requirements similar to public hospitals which is fine. But in my very humble opinion, if you hold yourself out as a religious-oriented hospital, that's what you are and you can act consistent with that.

I recognize that both St. John's and St. Francis are "Catholic" hospitals and appreciate the mission statement you posted of St. Francis.  However, the make up of their workforce and patient base is anything but exclusively Catholic.  My ex worked for both Warren Clinic and St. Francis at varying times.  Something makes me think her pills were covered under her formulary, though I could be wrong on that point.  Anyone else have a relative or friend who works for either SFH or SJMC who can verify that?

JMO, St. John is more the common Catholic Hospital model.  Many would argue that St. Francis has operated under this guise as a tax shelter for some very wealthy oil people, doctors, and administrative-types.  Though this is one non-profit which has not been bad for Tulsa area contractors and employees as they have had to continually reinvest profits into new facilities, employees, and equipment upgrades.

That said, I do recall applying for a grounds-keeping position at ORU one summer during college and if you used tobacco or alcohol, or were not of the Christian faith, they would not hire you.  It was right there on the employment app.  There's far more of a clear demarcation line on ORU being exclusive in employing people of a certain religious faith and requiring a certain code of conduct over the employees and their students.  I'm assuming they still retain the same employment requirements and the student honor code.  I also suspect you would find something similar at Victory, Metro Christian, Lincoln Christian (etc. ad nauseum) schools

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 09:43:10 am »

Now, you can argue that the health care field is different, or that Catholic hospitals receive government monies, or any other justification to impose on them requirements similar to public hospitals which is fine. But in my very humble opinion, if you hold yourself out as a religious-oriented hospital, that's what you are and you can act consistent with that.

I agree. So long as they only employ people of their religious persuasion. They should have every right to force their views on willing participants. Everyone else? Not so much.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org