A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:15:03 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 121957 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:34 pm »

So you're saying that it's not important that health insurance cover contraception?

I am mildly surprised that no one has complained that government funded free contraception is genocide on poor folk.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 09:09:35 pm »

I believe Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby are closed on Sunday because of the employers' religious viewpoint.  Are you saying the employees should be able to force them to open on Sunday?

Good point.  I'll give it some thought....but not tonight.  It's been a loooong day.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 09:56:31 pm »

I believe Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby are closed on Sunday because of the employers' religious viewpoint.  Are you saying the employees should be able to force them to open on Sunday?

McKee Foods (aka Little Debbie).  The McKee family is Seventh Day Adventist.  Closed on Saturdays, the plants, company-owned transportation, whole nine yards.

If it's a religious school, Ed, the school can hire only members of it's religious faith and discriminate much like tribes do for their own kind.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 10:00:31 pm »

Geez, people!  Think about it!  You wouldn't rather pay a little now to keep them from having babies?  Rather than the alternative??  Can't never tell - they might grow up to be Oklahoma legislators!!!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 10:04:01 pm »

Geez, people!  Think about it!  You wouldn't rather pay a little now to keep them from having babies?  Rather than the alternative??  Can't never tell - they might grow up to be Oklahoma legislators!!!!

More likely to grow up to be Democrats.  I say let them have free contraception.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »

More likely to grow up to be Democrats.  I say let them have free contraception.

This is one case where I am all for 'socialized birth control'.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 02:06:39 am »

Oh, I dunno Gweed....you may have to wait a bit longer....

When a religious organization operates a business, whether it's a hospital, bookstore, or a newspaper, it's no longer a strictly religious institution.  It's an employer, and like any other employer it has to treat employees fairly.  And since those employees are likely from diverse backgrounds and have diverse religious viewpoints, it's not right that their employer can impose his own religious viewpoint on them.  

It's entirely different when the employees are working within the church, such as a church secretary, librarian, or counselor.  The church still acts as an employer, yet the church is free to discriminate and see that these employees are of the faith.  In the other situation, say where the church operates a hospital, the employees cannot be required to belong to the church, so providing health care coverage - including contraception - isn't a matter of religious freedom.  It has far more to do with fair employment.

Really, when a religious organization operates a business it's an employer? What about businesses having less than 15 people? What about private clubs operating businesses? Hows about Indian tribes? Fact is, exceptions riddle the "you're a business, now treat everyone fairly" meme you are running with right now.
Now, the idea that an employee of a religious-oriented business should not have that religious viewpoint imposed on them is a non-starter to me. You don't like what the catholic church has to say on contraception or abortion? Work elsewhere. Why should a religious institution toss out its belief structure in favor of an employee? Since when is it government's job to stick its nose in the affairs of churches (in this case, telling a church how it conducts business). Something about separation of church and state is coming to mind...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:50 am »

You don't like what the catholic church has to say on contraception or abortion? Work elsewhere.

You don't like paying those union dues? Work elsewhere.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 03:04:54 am »

You don't like paying those union dues? Work elsewhere.

Now you are getting it. Finally.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 07:29:13 am »

Now you are getting it. Finally.

Pull the other one.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 07:48:36 am »

Pull the other one.

Get the Federal Government to help de-certify the Union would be the analogy to having the Feds require the Church to supply contraception.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 09:55:07 am »

Why should I take responsibility for someone else's irresponsibility?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:12 am »

Why should I take responsibility for someone else's irresponsibility?

Welcome to our welfare state Conan. We bailed out the auto companies and banks already, doesn't our junk need bailing out?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 10:38:30 am »

Something about separation of church and state is coming to mind...

Funny how that pops up only when it's helpful to one's argument.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:34 am »

We need separation of junk and state!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org