A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:07:28 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 123527 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: February 28, 2012, 04:03:48 pm »

Sheesh, do we seriously need THIS person championing the cause for free birth control?

Speaking at a hearing held by Pelosi to tout Pres. Obama’s mandate that virtually every health insurance plan cover the full cost of contraception and abortion-inducing products, Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke said that it’s too expensive to have sex in law school without mandated insurance coverage.

Apparently, four out of every ten co-eds are having so much sex that it’s hard to make ends meet if they have to pay for their own contraception, Fluke’s research shows.

“Forty percent of the female students at Georgetown Law reported to us that they struggled financially as a result of this policy (Georgetown student insurance not covering contraception), Fluke reported.

It costs a female student $3,000 to have protected sex over the course of her three-year stint in law school, according to her calculations.

“Without insurance coverage, contraception, as you know, can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school,” Fluke told the hearing.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/02/28/georgetown-law-co-ed-demands-everyone-else-pay-for-her-untamed-sex-life/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:06:59 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:43:39 pm »

I love how the language in the argument has changed now.

It's no longer free birth-control, or healthcare. .. it's "access."

That's some awesome entitlement language right there!

If the government does not provide free health-care, birth-control . . .they are "Denying Access" to those resources.

If someone has to pay .75 for a Trojan, they are being "Denied Access" to a jimmy-hat.

If they have to pay a $10 co-pay (or $30.75 retail) for their Nor-QD birth control pills, they are being "Denied Access."

I just realized something, I require water and food to live.  The City of Tulsa is "Denying Access" to water for me and my family!
Reasor's is also "Denying Access" to food, and if you like to shop at Whole Foods as I do, you get the crap "Denied" out of you.

I am getting "Denied Access" every where I turn for the goods and services necessary for my health and wellbeing.

Someone call the White House!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:31:35 pm »

So you're saying that it's not important that health insurance cover contraception?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:55:35 pm »

Nathan- if private insurance covers it, no issue.  If the government forces it on a religious organization to include it in their coverage it's entirely another.

$1000 a year for "protected" sex?  The pill only "protects" against pregnancy (in most cases).  At $30 average retail for the pill, that's $360 per year, not $1000.

Checking prices on-line, appears that multi-packs of jimmy hats end up being about .50 per hat.

That's 2000 times per year, by my math, or 5.4 throws a day.  Sounds like she's spending more time on her back than in class or at the law library.

Ms. Fluke seems to have a problem with:

A) Reality
B) The truth
C) Her libido is bigger than Jabba The Hutt.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:57:12 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:09:42 pm »

Nathan- if private insurance covers it, no issue.  If the government forces it on a religious organization to include it in their coverage it's entirely another.

$1000 a year for "protected" sex?  The pill only "protects" against pregnancy (in most cases).  At $30 average retail for the pill, that's $360 per year, not $1000.

Checking prices on-line, appears that multi-packs of jimmy hats end up being about .50 per hat.

That's 2000 times per year, by my math, or 5.4 throws a day.  Sounds like she's spending more time on her back than in class or at the law library.

Ms. Fluke seems to have a problem with:

A) Reality
B) The truth
C) Her libido is bigger than Jabba The Hutt.

Or... "belt and suspenders" approach.

$360 for pills, leaving $640 for condoms.  That would only be 1280 times per year or about 3.5 times per day.  I wonder what her law specialty will be.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »

Or... "belt and suspenders" approach.

$360 for pills, leaving $640 for condoms.  That would only be 1280 times per year or about 3.5 times per day.  I wonder what her law specialty will be.

Defending street crimes I would think.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »

It appears she is specializing in screwing people, so divorce law?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »

You guys are upset that a woman has frequent sex?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:02 pm »

No, but I bet her parents wish she'd spend more time studying rather than bucking.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 07:53:30 pm »

The inevitable takedown:

“Forty percent of the female students at Georgetown Law reported to us that they struggled financially as a result of this policy,” Fluke testified regarding the Catholic university's policy of not covering birth control. “Without insurance coverage, contraception, as you know, can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school.”

But Fluke's testimony was very misleading. Birth control pills can be purchased for as low as $9 per month at a pharmacy near Georgetown's campus. According to an employee at the pharmacy in Washington, D.C.'s Target store, the pharmacy sells birth control pills--the generic versions of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Ortho-Cyclen--for $9 per month. "That's the price without insurance," the Target employee said. Nine dollars is less than the price of two beers at a Georgetown bar.

It strains credulity to believe that a single Georgetown student can't afford $9 per month for birth control. But this is the justification the mandate's supporters give for forcing religious institutions to purchase insurance that violates their religious and moral convictions.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/dc-target-sells-birth-control-9-month-georgetown-student-tells-congress-friends-are-going-broke-pay-pills_632955.html?nopager=1

There are no bigger idealistic dooshbags than law students. Man, they know everything. It took me more than a decade out before I ACTUALLY knew everything.  Tongue

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:20 pm »

So you're saying that it's not important that health insurance cover contraception?

No it's not! And it's pathetic that companies will be required to do so. It's truly sad that we find sex as some sort of entitlement in this country. If you're going to enjoy yourself that much that often....pay for it yourself. It's not anyone else's job to make sure you don't get pregnant from your own lack of money, or pure lack of responsibility.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:12:52 pm »

It took me more than a decade out before I ACTUALLY knew everything.  Tongue

People who think they know everything are especially annoying to those of us who do.

(I know, I have said this before.  Some people need reminding.)

Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 08:19:49 pm »

It's more like paying without benefits that is objectionable.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »

There are no bigger idealistic dooshbags than law students. Man, they know everything. It took me more than a decade out before I ACTUALLY knew everything.  Tongue

Oh, I dunno Gweed....you may have to wait a bit longer....

When a religious organization operates a business, whether it's a hospital, bookstore, or a newspaper, it's no longer a strictly religious institution.  It's an employer, and like any other employer it has to treat employees fairly.  And since those employees are likely from diverse backgrounds and have diverse religious viewpoints, it's not right that their employer can impose his own religious viewpoint on them.  

It's entirely different when the employees are working within the church, such as a church secretary, librarian, or counselor.  The church still acts as an employer, yet the church is free to discriminate and see that these employees are of the faith.  In the other situation, say where the church operates a hospital, the employees cannot be required to belong to the church, so providing health care coverage - including contraception - isn't a matter of religious freedom.  It has far more to do with fair employment.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »

And since those employees are likely from diverse backgrounds and have diverse religious viewpoints, it's not right that their employer can impose his own religious viewpoint on them.  

I believe Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby are closed on Sunday because of the employers' religious viewpoint.  Are you saying the employees should be able to force them to open on Sunday?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org