A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:58:52 pm
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 123720 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #375 on: December 03, 2012, 06:54:26 am »

I seriously doubt the adverse effects of hormonal BCPs are any worse than the adverse effects of aspirin on the very young or acetaminophen on anyone. An entire month's worth of modern BCP probably has less hormones in it than a single pill did in the 70s.

Any of these things are still drugs and if misused can be very bad.  Aspirin and Tylenol have been around so long, they have become background fixtures that makes them somewhat easier to dismiss as potent chemical agents.  But they are.  I have always been lucky to only have very small stomach upsets from aspirin, no adverse reaction yet from acetaminophen, and have been hospitalized after very short term, light use of both ibuprofen and naproxen sodium - significant stomach bleeding...  sucks to react badly to NSAIDs.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:56:25 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #376 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:58 pm »

I have always been lucky to only have very small stomach upsets from aspirin, no adverse reaction yet from acetaminophen, and have been hospitalized after very short term, light use of both ibuprofen and naproxen sodium - significant stomach bleeding...  sucks to react badly to NSAIDs.

That's precisely my point. We accept some risk from any drug being OTC.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #377 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:53 pm »

That's precisely my point. We accept some risk from any drug being OTC.

Yep!  (I was agreeing with you...)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »

http://jezebel.com/5947420/the-most-conservative-states-have-the-pregnant+est-teenagers?tag=hypocrisy

Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Arizona also bear the dubious distinction of being living monuments to how abstinence-only education and restricted access to abortion and birth control translates to more young single parents, more poverty for young women, and the corresponding greater expense to the state that comes with providing services to those families.
More hypocrisy: Catholic Hospital Chain Kills Wrongful Death Lawsuit by Arguing that a Fetus is Not a Person
http://gawker.com/5978597/catholic-hospital-chain-kills-wrongful-death-lawsuit-by-arguing-that-a-fetus-is-not-a-person

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YEMnyiDKUJI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:19:42 pm by Teatownclown » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2013, 02:07:39 pm »

More Women Turn To Morning-After Pill

http://kwgs.com/post/more-women-turn-morning-after-pill

The number of women who have used emergency contraceptive pills has increased dramatically in the past decade, according to the latest government data.

A study by researchers at the National Center for Health Statistics found that 11 percent of "sexually experienced" women between the ages of 15 and 44 said they had used one of the four brands of emergency contraceptive pills approved by the FDA between 2006 and 2010. In 2002, only four percent said they had.

The survey, which is the first of its kind to look specifically at use of the pills, also found that most women aren't using them as a substitute for regular birth control. Of those who reported having used emergency contraception between 2006 and 2010, 59 percent said they had used it only one, and 24 percent twice. Only 17 percent said they had used it three or more times.

Use of emergency contraception, however, varies widely by age and other demographic distinctions, according to the study, which was part of the NCHS's National Survey of Family Growth.

Users of emergency contraception were most likely to be between age 20 and 24 (23 percent), never married (19 percent) and have at least some college education.

By contrast those least likely to have used emergency contraception were older. Only five percent of those ages 30-44 reported having taken the pills. Only 6 percent of current or formerly married women reported having used the products, and only 6 percent of those with less than a high school education said they had used it.

Those who did use emergency contraception, however, were about evenly divided between in their reasons, with about half reporting a need due to failure of another contraceptive method and half due to unprotected sex.

Meanwhile, in a separate study based on the same set of data, NCHS researchers found that "virtually all women of reproductive age in 2006 to 2010 who had ever had sexual intercourse have used at least one contraceptive method at some point in their lifetime."

That number — 99.1 percent of women ages 15-44 — includes methods such as natural family planning that involves periodic abstinence and withdrawal.

But the survey also found that 87.5 percent of women who had ever had heterosexual sex used what the researchers termed a "highly effective reversible method" of contraception, including the birth control pill, contraceptive patch, injectable drug such as Depo-Provera, or an intrauterine device.

And Catholic women reported using artificial birth control in smaller numbers than women of other religions, that use was still fairly widespread. According to the study, 89 percent of Catholic women reported having used a condom with a male partner, compared to 95-97 percent of Protestant women. Similarly, about 76 percent of Catholic women said they had used the birth control pill, compared to 86 percent of Protestant women.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2013, 02:19:56 pm »

More Women Turn To Morning-After Pill

includes methods such as natural family planning that involves periodic abstinence and withdrawal.

I believe those couples are often called parents.   Cheesy

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #381 on: February 14, 2013, 02:23:02 pm »

I believe those couples are often called parents. 

includes methods such as natural family planning that involves periodic abstinence and withdrawal.

Yeah, I think that'd be an after effect of lack of education.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #382 on: February 14, 2013, 02:32:28 pm »

Yeah, I think that'd be an after effect of lack of education.

Now, for sure.

In the sixties, there was some legitimate concern over the safety of birth control pills.  Other, safer, methods were considered less effective though.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #383 on: November 05, 2014, 04:40:19 pm »

Fluke loses election.

Attorney and activist Sandra Fluke has lost her bid for a seat in the California state Senate.

Fluke captured the national spotlight in 2012 when conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh called her a "slut" after she testified at a hearing on the Affordable Care Act's birth control mandate. Fluke, then a student at Georgetown Law School, responded to the controversy by continuing to speak out on women's health issues, and spoke at that year's Democratic National Convention.

Fluke lost to fellow Democrat Ben Allen, a Santa Monica-Malibu school board member, by over 21 points. As The Huffington Post's Paul Blumenthal reported last month, real estate mogul Bill Bloomfield poured $1.3 million into independent expenditures backing Allen's campaign, an enormous amount for a state Senate race. Both Fluke and Allen raised over $1 million for their respective campaigns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/05/sandra-fluke-election-results_n_6106634.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #384 on: November 05, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »

Fluke lost to fellow Democrat Ben Allen, a Santa Monica-Malibu school board member, by over 21 points. As The Huffington Post's Paul Blumenthal reported last month, real estate mogul Bill Bloomfield poured $1.3 million into independent expenditures backing Allen's campaign, an enormous amount for a state Senate race. Both Fluke and Allen raised over $1 million for their respective campaigns.

For a real estate mogul in the Malibu area, $1.3M is chump change.  It's probably about the same as a starter home in the area.   I'm sure Bloomfield will get much more return than that on his money.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #385 on: November 05, 2014, 11:47:42 pm »

For a real estate mogul in the Malibu area, $1.3M is chump change.  It's probably about the same as a starter home in the area.   I'm sure Bloomfield will get much more return than that on his money.

For half that, I bet Bloomfield could have gotten Fluke to wax his floors for the next few years.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2014, 08:54:57 am »

For a real estate mogul in the Malibu area, $1.3M is chump change.  It's probably about the same as a starter home in the area.   I'm sure Bloomfield will get much more return than that on his money.

Oprah Winfrey has a house somewhere in that area - just asked another guy who was there, too - Montecito, near Santa Barbars.  Was talking with a contractor a couple years ago, with a crew that had worked on that house.  She dropped over $3 million on a bathroom in the place - came in and saw that she didn't like it, so they tore it out and started again.  Spent over $4.5 the next round.  Bathroom....

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:57:28 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2014, 12:20:26 pm »

Oprah Winfrey has a house somewhere in that area - just asked another guy who was there, too - Montecito, near Santa Barbars.  Was talking with a contractor a couple years ago, with a crew that had worked on that house.  She dropped over $3 million on a bathroom in the place - came in and saw that she didn't like it, so they tore it out and started again.  Spent over $4.5 the next round.  Bathroom....

I snorkeled with the kids in front of her house(s) in the Bahamas.  She has two of them right next to each other.  One for Oprah and one for Oprahs friends.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #388 on: November 06, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »

Was curious,  so went to Zillow and looked at Malibu.   There are 17 results in the immediate area.  Starting from $2.4M (nice place in the woods, on a .28acre lot), to $27.5M (.3 acre, but on the ocean side of the highway.)

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #389 on: November 06, 2014, 03:25:52 pm »

I snorkeled with the kids in front of her house(s) in the Bahamas.  She has two of them right next to each other.  One for Oprah and one for Oprahs friends.

But did you get to stay in the one for Oprah's friends??

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org