A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:42:54 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLANiTULSA Small Area Plans  (Read 11533 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:04:23 pm »

Exactly. What the council did last night was void the hard work and countless volunteer hours of neighbors trying to have a voice in the future direction of their own neighborhoods. Jack Henderson's incomprehensible ramblings about wanting a QT in north Tulsa, insulting the Pearl District and then asking Jamie Jamieson for help on his own Small Area Plan were asinine. But they paled in comparison Councilman Mansur's incoherent babble.

He seriously compared Small Area Plans and the Comprehensive Plan to a Biblical story about harlots being forced to split a newborn child in half (1 Kings: 24-25, yes, I looked it up), and then ranted about how George Washington was a small business owner that didn't want government interfering with his business.

The complete disregard for the desires of the Pearl District Association was appalling. I was perhaps most disappointed by the actions of Phil Lakin, who refused to recuse himself from voting in this matter due to a conflict of interest. Mr. Cadieux, the owner of QT serves on a board with him. As Bob Edmiston, the city attorney, explained, it's completely at the discretion of the individual councilor as to whether they should recuse themselves... Then made it a point to say that outside of the board on which Cadieux and Lakin serve, that they're really good friends. (!)

The arguments put forth by QuikTrip were less than compelling. They include:
"Look at 15th & Denver. You just can't get more urban than that." Failing, of course, to mention that this proposed siteplan is almost twice the size of 15th & Denver's store. And the notion that the 15th & Denver store is "urban" is a fantasy statement.
"We've closed a lot of stores in Tulsa that look outdated. We want to always look modern, no matter the cost." So they're proud of how many stores you've abandoned and left empty because the other side of the street corner works better for them now. And that they'll do whatever they can to get their way without regard for the surrounding neighborhood.
"We've made many concessions to the TMAPC and Council. Look, we even built a four-foot wrought iron fence along the periphery to create a street wall." A wrought iron fence does not a street wall make.
"We're not actually closing 10th street; we're opening it up." Complete insanity.
"We welcome area residents to drive through the parking lot to get to 10th street." Cutting through parking lots is illegal.

When it came to certain provisions in the 6th Street Infill Plan came one of the most important statements of the night: "That just won't work for us."

I'm proud of Blake Ewing for speaking out so passionately and logically against this. I'm proud of the citizens who spoke in opposition to this plan. And I'm proud of Karen Gilbert and G.T. Bynum for trying to go back to the compromise table and find a workable solution for all parties.

But I am ashamed of the sheer ignorance on public display by a majority of the Councilors last night, and I'm concerned for the future of our city. It's clear now that citizen input is worthless, planning guides are worthless, and that corporations will do whatever it takes to win over ill-educated council members by threatening to leave the community. If it had been any other company asking for this amendment and street closure, it would likely have been denied. But this was QuikTrip, beloved, innocent, homegrown QuikTrip.

As a city, we've turned into development whores. We'll let businesses do whatever they want, even at our own detriment and in complete opposition to what citizens and neighborhoods want, in order to appear to be pro-business and easy an easy place to develop.

I agree with Blake's manifesto from a long time ago: Tulsa needs to grow up and start acting like a real city.

I believe Ben Franklin once said that for democracy to work, a country must have an educated populace, but I think he only got it half-right; in order for democracy to work to its fullest potential, we must also have educated elected officials. That's something we're sorely lacking at the moment.

I feel your passion. I used to hope that TN was the group that would educate about and actively promote good urban development.  I hope you have better luck with them than I did.  I was very frustrated when I mentioned at one of the meetings what QT was going to do in the heart of Brookside against the Brookside plan.  Ripping out old, pedestrian friendly buildings and creating a larger, non-pedestrian friendly gap, against all the work the people there had done to create the Brookside Plan and build up this valuable area of the city by making it better with new businesses that fit what we love about Brookside.  But anyway, nobody on the board seemed concerned, one actually looked right at me and laughed in my face saying they liked what QT was doing there.  That felt like someone stabbed me with a knife in the gut. They later said I should have brought it up during the meeting, but to what end?  They expressed their opinions before hand.  I was shocked, and hurt by that.   Needless to say it's one of the reasons I left TN for I didn't feel that they were really doing anything.  I am glad they are working on creating a Running of the Bulls event, but I would really hope they would also go back to what I thought were the roots of the organization to eductate (the counselors for instance) and participate in promoting good urban development (and even protest against bad urban development).  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 12:41:01 pm »

I feel your passion. I used to hope that TN was the group that would educate about and actively promote good urban development.  I hope you have better luck with them than I did.  I was very frustrated when I mentioned at one of the meetings what QT was going to do in the heart of Brookside against the Brookside plan.  Ripping out old, pedestrian friendly buildings and creating a larger, non-pedestrian friendly gap, against all the work the people there had done to create the Brookside Plan and build up this valuable area of the city by making it better with new businesses that fit what we love about Brookside.  But anyway, nobody on the board seemed concerned, one actually looked right at me and laughed in my face saying they liked what QT was doing there.  That felt like someone stabbed me with a knife in the gut. They later said I should have brought it up during the meeting, but to what end?  They expressed their opinions before hand.  I was shocked, and hurt by that.   Needless to say it's one of the reasons I left TN for I didn't feel that they were really doing anything.  I am glad they are working on creating a Running of the Bulls event, but I would really hope they would also go back to what I thought were the roots of the organization to educate (the counselors for instance) and participate in promoting good urban development (and even protest against bad urban development).

It's my hope that as an organization, we can live up to our mission: "TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 01:39:16 pm »

We can take some comfort by the close vote.  I doubt it would have been close in prior councils. 

Councilor Ewing continues to impress me.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 01:39:40 pm »

I feel your passion. I used to hope that TN was the group that would educate about and actively promote good urban development.  I hope you have better luck with them than I did.  I was very frustrated when I mentioned at one of the meetings what QT was going to do in the heart of Brookside against the Brookside plan.  Ripping out old, pedestrian friendly buildings and creating a larger, non-pedestrian friendly gap, against all the work the people there had done to create the Brookside Plan and build up this valuable area of the city by making it better with new businesses that fit what we love about Brookside.  But anyway, nobody on the board seemed concerned, one actually looked right at me and laughed in my face saying they liked what QT was doing there.  That felt like someone stabbed me with a knife in the gut. They later said I should have brought it up during the meeting, but to what end?  They expressed their opinions before hand.  I was shocked, and hurt by that.   Needless to say it's one of the reasons I left TN for I didn't feel that they were really doing anything.  I am glad they are working on creating a Running of the Bulls event, but I would really hope they would also go back to what I thought were the roots of the organization to eductate (the counselors for instance) and participate in promoting good urban development (and even protest against bad urban development).  

I was disappointed with the QT development on Brookside as well.

Considering the inability of even the city councilor and TN member to stop QT it may be the right course for TN to step back and do something other than fight a huge corporation.  I spent a lot of time with the Planitulsa meetings and sadly feel as though it might've been a waste.

The Bull Run event seems a great way to move TN forward and help people discover things Tulsa has.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 02:11:19 pm »

We can take some comfort by the close vote.  I doubt it would have been close in prior councils. 

Councilor Ewing continues to impress me.

He’s far exceeded my expectations for his job performance thus far.  He really has become a great asset to the city in many ways.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »

He’s far exceeded my expectations for his job performance thus far.  He really has become a great asset to the city in many ways.

If you want to see Blake in action, go to TGOV and begin watching the debate over this issue at 1:01:00. I was up until 2:30 this morning watching it. I'm glad Blake spoke out.

By the way, there will be a discussion about the Pearl District at the next Tulsa Urbanist meeting, next Monday night.

"Panel discussion on the Pearl District
Our Monday meeting will feature a panel discussion on the Pearl District and small area planning with City Councilor Blake Ewing and members of the Pearl District Association. It should make for an interesting discussion! We'll be meeting at Crafton Tull at 6pm on Monday as usual. We'll be keeping the normal meeting part to the first 15 minutes, and the discussion for the remaining time."
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:41:09 pm by dsjeffries » Logged

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
46hudson
Citizen

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »

I recall the TMAPC vote on The Pearl District expansion was tabled in favor of workshops to better inform intrested (or misinformed) parties and the issue would go back before commitee on June 6. Any word on the workshops? Or did the 11th & Utica QT vote spell disaster for the Pearl District expansion and thereby kill the workshops? 
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 07:04:44 am »

If you want to see Blake in action, go to TGOV and begin watching the debate over this issue at 1:01:00. I was up until 2:30 this morning watching it. I'm glad Blake spoke out.

By the way, there will be a discussion about the Pearl District at the next Tulsa Urbanist meeting, next Monday night.

"Panel discussion on the Pearl District
Our Monday meeting will feature a panel discussion on the Pearl District and small area planning with City Councilor Blake Ewing and members of the Pearl District Association. It should make for an interesting discussion! We'll be meeting at Crafton Tull at 6pm on Monday as usual. We'll be keeping the normal meeting part to the first 15 minutes, and the discussion for the remaining time."

Is this an open meeting?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org