A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:34:52 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evans Fintube Brownfield Site  (Read 59971 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 08:17:00 am »

If access over the RR tracks can be addressed, it seems like it makes more sense for OSU Tulsa to grow into the Evans Fintube site than towards the residential areas to the west.

But, sense Blake Ewing is building a venue, hall concert place at the Evans Fintube site, I guess it's too late.

Blake should use the train tracks to get people to and from his venue.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:37 am »

Blake should use the train tracks to get people to and from his venue.

Well you know, he's in City Hall now so that means pretty much he can have rail road ROW and can probably even build his own off ramp from the IDL w/o permission from the Feds.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 08:56:29 am »

Well you know, he's in City Hall now so that means pretty much he can have rail road ROW and can probably even build his own off ramp from the IDL w/o permission from the Feds.

Must be nice to be an all powerful GOB.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 09:53:09 am »

You guys know Shadows is copying and pasting these posts as proof of his thoughts on another forum.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 10:26:42 am »

Dewey Bartlett channels the Great White Devil.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:54 am »

Great Plains was a cover for Roswell
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 12:21:02 pm »

You guys know Shadows is copying and pasting these posts as proof of his thoughts on another forum.

I feel like I'm missing out on something. Maybe I'd get it if I had gone to Blake's rave last night.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 02:58:06 pm »

Dewey Bartlett channels the Great White Devil.

I thought it was the Great White Buffalo...wait, wrong meme.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 04:34:08 pm »

I feel like I'm missing out on something. Maybe I'd get it if I had gone to Blake's rave last night.

So this venue is already open? I knew that crane was up to something.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 05:01:31 pm »

So this venue is already open? I knew that crane was up to something.

Oh, did I say that out loud? Oops.

Embarrassed

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:27 pm »

I sure hope it happens.  It's going to take OSU/UCAT agreeing to make it happen.

From what I've been told by people here in Stilly, the regents just won't come through with the money.  They have a 20 year plan which Never really seems to get started.  I think the element that would really, REALLY cement downtowns success would be a 4 year residential school right there.  Add in the OU/TU medschool in the blue dome and you've got one jumping side of downtown. 

In fact, I would like to see if the city can petition to have OSU-Tulsa offer a film school option, tieing in with what Blake and the Mayor are trying to do with the film industry.  Having a film major available at the OSU campus would be great.  We also would see alot of beautiful shots of our beautiful city.  Any thoughts, Blake?

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 12:40:21 am »

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been busy washing every brick in my new concert venue.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for, but here goes:

I agree whole-heartedly that the area north of the IDL would be incredible for a housing project targeted at students. A downtown circulator connecting that housing area, TCC, and the TU/OU facility would be convenient and well used. Also, let's not forget Langston in these conversations.

Also, while I agree that a four-year would be nice...and even ideal, I wouldn't count on that (at least any time soon). I'd hope instead that our current colleges continue to grow and improve. We can have something special, even if it's just with special programs and a really nice partnership between TCC and the others.

A key component in the growth of a film industry in Tulsa would be an improved presence of film related coursework at our higher-ed institutions. If you can produce trained crew to work on films, you're taking care of one of the biggest problems for the larger film projects. If our local philanthropists would gift some $$ directly to those programs for the purchase of film equipment like tracks and cranes, etc. The colleges could loan/rent that equipment out to small budget filmmakers. This happens in some other cities and is quite successful as I understand.

Add to that a sound stage, editing booths, etc (which could be shared by our colleges) and place those things at Evans Fintube and we're on our way. I think that site could house any number of arts, creativity, innovation related programs. Look at what OKC has done with ACM at UCO. You want your city to be cool? Accommodate creative people every chance you get. They make places better.

The big train yard that sits between OSU and Fintube can be moved. The intermodal facility that has been proposed near the airport could be the new home of that...which would allow a better connectedness between the college area and Fintube.

That rail line was proposed in Jack Crowley's Downtown Masterplan. As you may remember, he had the first stretch of Light Rail going from Fintube to 23rd and Jackson, right along that corridor....so yes, theoretically, we can (and will someday) use that track to get people to and from my venue. =)

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 01:49:58 pm »

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been busy washing every brick in my new concert venue.

Had I been drinking when I read this, I would be cleaning my keyboard right now.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:59 am »

OKCCC has been very successful with their film program.  They have a large sound stage and a lot of equipment that they rent out to folks.  I know of at least one band that have used the facility to shoot music videos.  They brought in a national director and cinematographer to do it but use all local crew and equipment.

Blake, what are the chances TCC could develop a film program within the Center for Creativity?

----

The issue with the expansion of OSU-Tulsa as far as the regents are concerned is the Stillwater campus student population is stagnant, at best.  They are very scared adding residences to the Tulsa campus will leach students off Stillwater, rather than adding new students to the system.  I tend to agree.  Now, taking my crimson colored glasses off, as a Tulsa HS kid would you rather stay in Tulsa, live downtown and attend OSU for four years or go to Stillwater?  There are certainly kids that will always want the college town experience (Greek system, small town, etc, etc) but I believe a sizable subset exists that would love to attend all four years in downtown Tulsa, but they don't want the first two to be TCC.

I was very close to attending Columbia in Chicago and one of the biggest reasons was the chance to live and study in an urban center.  I think OSU Tulsa could become a similar (albeit much smaller) scenario.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 12:38:00 pm »

OKCCC has been very successful with their film program.  They have a large sound stage and a lot of equipment that they rent out to folks.  I know of at least one band that have used the facility to shoot music videos.  They brought in a national director and cinematographer to do it but use all local crew and equipment.

Blake, what are the chances TCC could develop a film program within the Center for Creativity?

----

The issue with the expansion of OSU-Tulsa as far as the regents are concerned is the Stillwater campus student population is stagnant, at best.  They are very scared adding residences to the Tulsa campus will leach students off Stillwater, rather than adding new students to the system.  I tend to agree.  Now, taking my crimson colored glasses off, as a Tulsa HS kid would you rather stay in Tulsa, live downtown and attend OSU for four years or go to Stillwater?  There are certainly kids that will always want the college town experience (Greek system, small town, etc, etc) but I believe a sizable subset exists that would love to attend all four years in downtown Tulsa, but they don't want the first two to be TCC.

I was very close to attending Columbia in Chicago and one of the biggest reasons was the chance to live and study in an urban center.  I think OSU Tulsa could become a similar (albeit much smaller) scenario.

Thats what I have found really frustrating over the last few years.  I tried to do some research looking at student enrollment numbers for the Tulsa and Stillwater campuses.  It did appear to me that the Tulsa campus (and the other Tulsa colleges) was growing while the Stillwater campus was indeed stagnating.  And from what I gather, a huge chunk of the students who go to Stillwater come from the Tulsa area.  

Imho the college should have been enlarging the Tulsa campus with a passion for the writing is on the wall on how the new "college scene" aka young folk wanting to live in cities, older people like me who already have careers,families, etc. (the ever growing, large cadre of non traditional students) but that need to go to college and cant up and move to some podunk town.  But instead they just might be living in fear/denial of what how an expanded Tulsa campus might hurt the Stillwater enrollment.  

Meanwhile... whats been happening?  They have been pumping literally hundreds of millions of dollars into the Stillwater campus.... and to what effect?  Stagnation while people here in Tulsa beg for... anything more, or simply leave Tulsa for other places and also are not choosing Stillwater over some more attractive school and campus in another state.  

And any more its not just competition from other states for Tulsa area students, but also from NSU BA, TU as it continues to improve and grow, OU, etc.

If they don't grow their offerings here in Tulsa, someone else will, it will just hurt OSU system wide (that includes Stillwater), natives will be more likely top leave the area all together, and new people will more likely choose not to move here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:39:35 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org