A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:02:58 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday road trip  (Read 30279 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:03 am »

OK, most of you know my beer snobbery status.  Myself and a couple of friends decided we would head to Caney KS on Saturday for a New Belgium Brewery beer run (Fat Tire) since Oklahoma's stupid alcohol laws prohibit selling beer in coolers and NB requires their beer refrigerated to sell it.

Started about 11am; I hadn't been on a roadie for a while and hadn't been through Bartlesville in about 8 years.  Wow, lot of change going on there.  Slow going through town, I guess to be expected since we rolled in there on Saturday around noon.

Got to Shooters (liquor store in the north part of Caney..LOL) about 12:30.  Wow, what a tiny place.  Got our beer, one of my friends decided to try out the moonshine they had behind the counter (now, I doubt this was real, since he bought some in 'apple pie' flavor, and it was only about 90 proof).  I guess it was called that because it was sold in Mason Jars.

On the way back, the other friend suggested we stop for lunch at Murphy's Steakhouse in B'Ville.  I'd never been, but it was suggested to me try the 'hot hamburger, gravy over all'...so I did.

Wow.

This monstrosity damn near had me down for the count.  But it was quite tasty.  I had to wait about 30 minutes before embarking on the trip home, for fear of passing out.

Looks like I'll be making monthly runs for both -- the beer and the food.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:43 am »

I've seen the "moonshine" at Collins Mid-Town Liquors.  It's usually up near the cash register.

Hot hamburgers at Murphy's, now that's a tasty myocardial infarction waiting to happen!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:02:21 am »

Is that an ugly, hairy breast on the right or Popeye's elbow?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:14:57 am »

I've seen the "moonshine" at Collins Mid-Town Liquors.  It's usually up near the cash register.

Hot hamburgers at Murphy's, now that's a tasty myocardial infarction waiting to happen!

Yeah, I didn't need dinner after that mound of carbs...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:37 am »

I've seen the moonshine at Collins as well.

New Belgium doesn't require the  beer to be sold from a refrigerator.  They require it to be transported in a refrigerated truck.  The retail requirement is out of direct sunlight and at least 73*.  The three to four weeks is sits in that environment is okay, but the temps in the truck for a few days is not.  Oklahoma doesn't allow high point alcohol to be refrigerated once it crosses the state border.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:47 am »

I still think SantaFe Nut Brown is a better brew than Fat Tire Ale.

Try some of the New Belgium IPA variants, a little pedestrian, but very drinkable.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:56:14 am »

I still think SantaFe Nut Brown is a better brew than Fat Tire Ale.

Try some of the New Belgium IPA variants, a little pedestrian, but very drinkable.

I saw a few up there; next trip I may have to buy a sixer of each.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:16:04 am »

I saw a few up there; next trip I may have to buy a sixer of each.

They did a 12 pack collection at one point with three or four varieties.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:39:15 pm »

I've seen the moonshine at Collins as well.

New Belgium doesn't require the  beer to be sold from a refrigerator.  They require it to be transported in a refrigerated truck.  The retail requirement is out of direct sunlight and at least 73*.  The three to four weeks is sits in that environment is okay, but the temps in the truck for a few days is not.  Oklahoma doesn't allow high point alcohol to be refrigerated once it crosses the state border.

OK, six of one, half dozen of another.  Either way, they won't sell in Oklahoma.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 01:55:09 pm »

Enough of the beer talk...

You had never been to Murphy's?

It is a great place to eat if you are ever near Bartlesville. I would put it in my list of favorite places to eat in Oklahoma.

Most people order the hot cheeseburger on Texas toast with fries, onions and gravy all piled on. It is their signature dish. But the steaks are pretty good and affordable. A 16 oz. T-bone is $16.95. I also love their homemade garlic dressing on the salad.

Service can be slow, but it is because the waitresses have worked there for decades and the kitchen ain't in a hurry to cook your food. The waitresses take care of you and check on you often, but the whole dining experience is often too rushed.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 03:10:54 pm »

Enough of the beer talk...

You had never been to Murphy's?

It is a great place to eat if you are ever near Bartlesville. I would put it in my list of favorite places to eat in Oklahoma.

Most people order the hot cheeseburger on Texas toast with fries, onions and gravy all piled on. It is their signature dish. But the steaks are pretty good and affordable. A 16 oz. T-bone is $16.95. I also love their homemade garlic dressing on the salad.

Service can be slow, but it is because the waitresses have worked there for decades and the kitchen ain't in a hurry to cook your food. The waitresses take care of you and check on you often, but the whole dining experience is often too rushed.

The waitresses were great.  Checked often on my drink, asked how we were doing, chatted with us for a bit, etc, etc.

And yes, first time I've been.  The closest I'd been to DT B'Ville was passing through on 75 up to Kansas.  I'll make sure to make it there more often now.  It's not a haul and pretty nice when you have good conversation going on.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 03:17:30 pm »

OK, six of one, half dozen of another.  Either way, they won't sell in Oklahoma.

I would say its completely different.  The argument against chilled high point liquor is that it's less likely to be immediately consumed if it's room temperature.  If that's the case, then why can't it be transported and sold to the retailer chilled, then be forced to sit in a back room for a few hours to go room temperature before it's sold to the public? 

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 03:18:43 pm »

I would say its completely different.  The argument against chilled high point liquor is that it's less likely to be immediately consumed if it's room temperature.  If that's the case, then why can't it be transported and sold to the retailer chilled, then be forced to sit in a back room for a few hours to go room temperature before it's sold to the public? 

But for this purpose, it's not different.  THEY WON'T SELL TO OKLAHOMA.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 03:20:12 pm »

What's ridiculous though about that notion in the law is that most people drink hard liquor at room temp or go down the block to QT to get a cup of ice.  Red wine?  Ready to drink.

Nimrods.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 03:24:12 pm »

Possibly neutralizes pasteurization?  I can't think of another reason except that the brewer requires it.  In this case, however the requirement is (refrigerated trucks, refrigerated on premise), it's still a requirement and one that keeps them from selling in Oklahoma.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org