A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 10:23:33 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Owasso City Council Elections  (Read 13559 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: February 24, 2012, 07:52:56 pm »

On March 6, Owasso voters will select two new councilors to fill seats being vacated.  While councilors represent different wards, they are elected by a city-wide vote.  Every voter in Owasso can help select the new office holders.  The council has five seats in all, two of them occupied by Patrick Ross and Charlie Brown.  Both were elected last year and both are ardent anti-tax/anti-spending ideologues.  I really have to wonder if Ross is from the tin-foil-hats-and-black-helicopters brigade so prevalent in tea party circles.  In response to a comment about his opposition to the purchase of a street sweeper, and the argument that it would help prevent polluted storm water runoff into area waterways, he wrote this:

To begin with, we need to be aware of and remember that the EPA is not granted any power or authority under the Constitution of the United States; that authority and responsibility belongs solely and exclusively to the individual states and their people.

Secondly, if pollution in our stormwater runoff is such a critical issue, where are the sick and dying?  If pollutants in our waterways is an issue of such grave concern, why are the fish, birds and wildlife not dying off in droves?  ANSWER:  Because it's not an issue.  All this talk from the EPA is simply idle rhetoric, intended to alarm people through emotional reactions, causing them to over-react in fear rather than through thoughtful reasoning.

I guess he missed that discussion of the Commerce Clause in civics class, not to mention the discussion of logical fallacies, in this case an appeal to ignorance.  Lack of evidence neither proves nor disproves an assertion.  But what is truly worrying is not just the lack of awareness, it's the smug superiority that comes from a blind adherence to ideology rather than concern about the very real needs of Owasso's citizens.

We don't need know-nothing/do-nothing councilors like Ross and Brown.  They're obvious tools of the Owasso Taxpayers Alliance headed by J.B. Alexander.  Candidates Tim Barnes and Dan Fike have been endorsed by the OTA, an endorsement that should set off alarm bells with any rational voters.

I talked with Jeri Moberly for an hour or so last week.  She's level-headed and responsible, a small business owner who appreciates the complexity of city finance.  I'll vote for her on March 6.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:08 pm »

The tax alliance goal is to fire Rodney Ray.   I have had my differences with Rodney over the years (after living in Owasso 22 years who wouldn't) but over all I think Rodney has the best interest of Owasso at heart and the Tax Alliance does not.

Trust but verify
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:36:10 pm »

On March 6, Owasso voters will select two new councilors to fill seats being vacated.  While councilors represent different wards, they are elected by a city-wide vote.  Every voter in Owasso can help select the new office holders.  The council has five seats in all, two of them occupied by Patrick Ross and Charlie Brown.  Both were elected last year and both are ardent anti-tax/anti-spending ideologues.  I really have to wonder if Ross is from the tin-foil-hats-and-black-helicopters brigade so prevalent in tea party circles.  In response to a comment about his opposition to the purchase of a street sweeper, and the argument that it would help prevent polluted storm water runoff into area waterways, he wrote this:

To begin with, we need to be aware of and remember that the EPA is not granted any power or authority under the Constitution of the United States; that authority and responsibility belongs solely and exclusively to the individual states and their people.

Secondly, if pollution in our stormwater runoff is such a critical issue, where are the sick and dying?  If pollutants in our waterways is an issue of such grave concern, why are the fish, birds and wildlife not dying off in droves?  ANSWER:  Because it's not an issue.  All this talk from the EPA is simply idle rhetoric, intended to alarm people through emotional reactions, causing them to over-react in fear rather than through thoughtful reasoning.

I guess he missed that discussion of the Commerce Clause in civics class, not to mention the discussion of logical fallacies, in this case an appeal to ignorance.  Lack of evidence neither proves nor disproves an assertion.  But what is truly worrying is not just the lack of awareness, it's the smug superiority that comes from a blind adherence to ideology rather than concern about the very real needs of Owasso's citizens.

We don't need know-nothing/do-nothing councilors like Ross and Brown.  They're obvious tools of the Owasso Taxpayers Alliance headed by J.B. Alexander.  Candidates Tim Barnes and Dan Fike have been endorsed by the OTA, an endorsement that should set off alarm bells with any rational voters.

I talked with Jeri Moberly for an hour or so last week.  She's level-headed and responsible, a small business owner who appreciates the complexity of city finance.  I'll vote for her on March 6.

I will be voting for Jeri too.   She is a good friend of mine.

Trust but verify
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:50:38 pm »

The tax alliance goal is to fire Rodney Ray.   I have had my differences with Rodney over the years (after living in Owasso 22 years who wouldn't) but over all I think Rodney has the best interest of Owasso at heart and the Tax Alliance does not.

I have had my differences with Rodney over the years but I will defend him. He has a great vision for the city and has got them through rough budget years with minimal pain. He surrounds himself with good department heads and empowers them.

When we were talking about building a network of recycling drop off centers 20 years plus ago, Owasso was first. Rodney Ray wasn't afraid and saw the big picture and the City of Owasso opened the first municipal recycling center in Oklahoma.

I follow the politics there a little, and am worried by the "destroy government by stripping their budgets" mentality of some of the candidates.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:00 pm »

I have had my differences with Rodney over the years but I will defend him. He has a great vision for the city and has got them through rough budget years with minimal pain. He surrounds himself with good department heads and empowers them.

When we were talking about building a network of recycling drop off centers 20 years plus ago, Owasso was first. Rodney Ray wasn't afraid and saw the big picture and the City of Owasso opened the first municipal recycling center in Oklahoma.

I follow the politics there a little, and am worried by the "destroy government by stripping their budgets" mentality of some of the candidates.

While his detractors make him out as a modern-day Machiavelli, I've found that in public meetings, Ray tries to present a range of information without adding any particular spin.  There are plenty of people in the room willing to do that. 

There are unverified reports of Kelley and Moberly campaign signs being stolen, as well as some threats of retribution against businesses who support them.  Let me reiterate - these reports are not verified.  But I really have to wonder about the mentality of anyone who'd engage in thuggery over a council election.

Ed

GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:23:30 pm »

While his detractors make him out as a modern-day Machiavelli, I've found that in public meetings, Ray tries to present a range of information without adding any particular spin.  There are plenty of people in the room willing to do that. 

There are unverified reports of Kelley and Moberly campaign signs being stolen, as well as some threats of retribution against businesses who support them.  Let me reiterate - these reports are not verified.  But I really have to wonder about the mentality of anyone who'd engage in thuggery over a council election.

Well I am here to verify those reports.   I have replaced signs in my yard for the 4th time. 

Trust but verify
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »

I've had one sign out at the curb since Sunday.  It hasn't been touched.

Ed

GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:32:17 pm »

I've had one sign out at the curb since Sunday.  It hasn't been touched.

Make that the 5th time we have replaced the signs.   We have started bringing the signs in once it gets dark. 

I think it is someone in my neighborhood.   My son was over tonight.   Jeri's sign in his yard have not been disturbed either.   He offered to get a camera to set out side to catch the culprit.  He set one up at his desk at work when stuff started disappearing from his desk at night. 

Trust but verify
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:39:27 pm »

Make that the 5th time we have replaced the signs.   We have started bringing the signs in once it gets dark. 

I think it is someone in my neighborhood.   My son was over tonight.   Jeri's sign in his yard have not been disturbed either.   He offered to get a camera to set out side to catch the culprit.  He set one up at his desk at work when stuff started disappearing from his desk at night. 

Unfortunately, political signs are not on the same order as trash / potential identity theft.  One of my friends was having a problem with his trash being stolen until I "loaned" him some dog gifts from our back yard to put in his trash.  Problem solved.

You might consider something like Capsaicin (the stuff in hot peppers) cream to put on the signs.  It's not dangerous but might get someone to think twice, especially after going to the restroom.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:39:35 pm »

I have an older Canon A590IS with after market CHDK software loaded on the memory card.  One function it offers is motion detection, so the camera can be configured to take a photo whenever something moves in the frame.  The only bad part is that it drains the batteries quickly.

CHDK will work with some but not all Canons.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_in_Brief

Ed

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »

At 10PM, Ward 1 results:

Jeri Moberly 58%
Tim Barnes  42%

Ward 2 results:

Chris Kelley 55%
Dan Fike     30%
Rita Peter   15%

The OTA backed candidates lost conclusively. I hope this means the voters of Owasso prefer serious, responsible governance rather than rigid ideology.

Turnout seemed good for this election, particularly since there's something happening with the Republican party tonight.  My polling place had two lines, one for Democrats and one for Republicans.  I breezed in and out in about 5 minutes while others waited and waited and waited.  I almost felt bad for them...almost...until I considered the choice they were facing.

Ed

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 10:30:20 pm »

How long you lived in Owasso??  It is chock full of that mentality...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 11:00:11 pm »

I almost felt bad for them...almost...until I considered the choice they were facing.

I saw on the 10PM news that Obama only got about 55% of the Democratic votes.  What's the deal there?  I am/was under the impression that there is no real competition for Obama and with closed  primaries in OK, I would have expected at least 80% for him.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 06:23:14 am »

When you consider that the real action in yesterdays election was on the Republican side - I was probably outnumbered 10 to 1 or more at the poll - a lot of Democrats stayed home. That left the voting to the fringe Democratic voters.

Ed

GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 10:53:00 pm »

When you consider that the real action in yesterdays election was on the Republican side - I was probably outnumbered 10 to 1 or more at the poll - a lot of Democrats stayed home. That left the voting to the fringe Democratic voters.

I'm not sure of Dr. Kelly's affiliation but Jeri Moberly is a Democrat.   But this Republican crossed party lines to support her by putting together signs, putting up signs and making 100 calls on her behalf the Sunday before the election. 

Oh, by the way I voted for Romney in the Republican Primary. 

Trust but verify
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org