A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:21:28 pm
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767316 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #1335 on: October 05, 2021, 04:21:19 am »

My best guess on how this went down:
1) The Gathering Place's lawyers sent a cease and desist order to the coffee shop.
2) The coffee shop ignored it either out of arrogance, ignorance, or fear.
3) The Gathering Place's lawyers probably sent a second request that also went nowhere so a simple civil lawsuit was filed, one that demanded financial damages from the coffee shop so he understands they don't like being ignored and possibly to make him sh!t himself a little.
4) The coffee shop owner proceeds to sh!t his pants, as any business owner would do when confronted with a big company threatening to sue them out of existence. To try to save face he makes a chest-pumping statement to the press about his legal team saying he would prevail when in truth his legal team is his paralegal cousin Eddie in Boise who hasn't returned his texts.
5) The Gathering Place's lawyers now go quiet so the coffee shop owner can sh!t himself a while longer. After nursing a 32oz bottle of Nyquil for a week he calls the lawyers up begging for mercy. Now that they have his attention and his balls in a vice they propose a simple $1 licensing agreement to use the name which probably entails a) How their trade dress is displayed in his coffee shop, website, flyers, etc. (plus notations of trademark ownership) b) How he can and can not use the name c) No more yapping to the press to try to angle this as a Samson vs Goliath story d) We better not hear any more complaints about your cappuccinos being skimpy on the foam from people coming to the park.
Most likely the coffee shop could have skipped from step 1 to step 5 had they just responded to the C&D letter (as I'm sure his cousin Eddie in Boise would have told him). Clearly TGP isn't a litigious company so they did the bare minimum they had to do to defend the trademark and avoid the potential of losing it in the future due to dilution. The coffee shop didn't size up their adversary properly as TGP isn't Ford and isn't doing this out of spite, then tried to bluff with a pair of twos, and ultimately got told but got lucky.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1336 on: October 24, 2021, 09:07:31 pm »

Anyone know why the Vista at the Boathouse restaurant has been closed?  The other two dining options, Redbud Cafe and The Patio, are both open. 

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1337 on: October 29, 2021, 01:47:31 pm »

Answering my own question but I heard they are reevaluating the Vista restaurant and will reopen with a new concept in the spring. 

Here is a cool recent aerial

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1338 on: October 29, 2021, 04:39:10 pm »

Answering my own question but I heard they are reevaluating the Vista restaurant and will reopen with a new concept in the spring. 

Is that your photo? And if so may I share it on the Tulsa Tourism Central Facebook page (with a credit to you if you are the photographer) ?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1339 on: October 29, 2021, 05:57:13 pm »

That is a fabulous shot.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1340 on: October 29, 2021, 09:12:33 pm »

Is that your photo? And if so may I share it on the Tulsa Tourism Central Facebook page (with a credit to you if you are the photographer) ?

Not mine, from Crossland Construction’s social media page

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1341 on: August 03, 2022, 10:56:28 am »

A complaint about the native grasses planted at the Gathering Place deserves some further thought:

' I am a tour operator. I will say the intersection of 31st Street and Riverside Drive is the most dangerous intersection I have experienced in the country.

Because of the city of Tulsa permitting the overgrowth of the grasses in both the center median and roadsides there, a tragedy will happen. A driver cannot see pedestrians crossing in front of them at the crosswalk or drivers going south cannot see approaching cars while making a left turn onto 31st.

A driver cannot even see northbound vehicles after dark because the grasses are so elevated, blocking headlights.'

You can stop right there. The glare from oncoming headlights doesnt contribute to your safety. Many cities that recognize that have invested in median shields to block the glare from oncoming headlights -- headlights that often cause the very sort of accidents complained about in the letter.

https://tulsaworld.com/opinion/letters/letter-overgrown-grasses-at-31st-and-riverside-a-hazard/article_1e00d304-0f7a-11ed-8c32-b3993f8ea466.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #1342 on: August 04, 2022, 07:22:30 am »

Hah! I'd love to see per capita accidents at that intersection and compare it to others in the area.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #1343 on: August 04, 2022, 09:53:00 am »

Hah! I'd love to see per capita accidents at that intersection and compare it to others in the area.

Yeah that's a pretty ridiculous assertion.

I live in Brookside in between Riverside and Peoria and use this intersections multiple times every single day. In the nearly 4 years the park has been open I can probably count on one hand the number of accidents I've seen at 31st and Riverside intersection.

Yes, that's anecdotal, but I seriously go through that intersection multiple times almost every day; it has to have a WAY lower accident rate than the super busy intersections in south Tulsa and elsewhere.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #1344 on: August 06, 2022, 08:18:04 am »

' I am a tour operator. I will say the intersection of 31st Street and Riverside Drive is the most dangerous intersection I have experienced in the country.

Because of the city of Tulsa permitting the overgrowth of the grasses in both the center median and roadsides there, a tragedy will happen. A driver cannot see pedestrians crossing in front of them at the crosswalk or drivers going south cannot see approaching cars while making a left turn onto 31st.

A driver cannot even see northbound vehicles after dark because the grasses are so elevated, blocking headlights.'

Sounds like someone who is really trying to get out of a ticket. That grass would have to be 4' tall and thick at that to even begin blocking a view of pedestrians that are walking a few feet in front of you. Now - in his defense - maybe he was sending a tweet and not looking at the road or doing the whole self-driving bit in his Tesla while he was watching 'Tucker Carlson'.  Roll Eyes
tulsamatt
Activist

« Reply #1345 on: October 19, 2022, 08:33:45 am »

Any word on future phases of Gathering Place? That gravel parking lot sure has been dusty this summer.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #1346 on: October 19, 2022, 10:30:15 am »

Any word on future phases of Gathering Place? That gravel parking lot sure has been dusty this summer.

Purely rumors but what I've been told is they're still trying to acquire property along Crow Creek before anything is announced. It'll be a mixed-use development of some kind but I think they want to connect it into Brookside which there's still a bit of homes along the creek they don't own yet.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1347 on: October 19, 2022, 11:02:55 am »

Purely rumors but what I've been told is they're still trying to acquire property along Crow Creek before anything is announced. It'll be a mixed-use development of some kind but I think they want to connect it into Brookside which there's still a bit of homes along the creek they don't own yet.

I've seen the concept plans, it will be a large residential development that will extend along Crow Creek from Riverside all the way past Cincinnati Ave.  They want to acquire a couple additional properties for a trail connection along the creek.  My understanding is that they would like to build this after the dam and bridge are finished, and after they have Western Supply underway downtown, which should be sometime in mid-2023.

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #1348 on: October 27, 2022, 11:29:18 am »

I've seen the concept plans, it will be a large residential development that will extend along Crow Creek from Riverside all the way past Cincinnati Ave.  They want to acquire a couple additional properties for a trail connection along the creek.  My understanding is that they would like to build this after the dam and bridge are finished, and after they have Western Supply underway downtown, which should be sometime in mid-2023.

Are they looking to do much height? Retail/mixed use or straight up residential?
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #1349 on: May 11, 2023, 08:47:20 pm »

Recent photos of the pedestrian bridge Williams Crossing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 08:48:54 pm by brettakins » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org