A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:56:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767296 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #1260 on: July 18, 2019, 11:15:10 am »

It's kind of amazing to think that, as amazing as the Park is, it's basically... what... only about 60% done?

VERY true!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1261 on: July 18, 2019, 12:55:23 pm »

VERY true!

I had a visitor that said it has an "incomplete" feel on the south and west sides, but explained that is because it is, in fact, incomplete in those areas.  

I'm excited to see what ancillary developments happen because of this project.  Obviously the Maple Ridge neighborhood won't be changing which pretty much surrounds the park except that home values will continue to rise and could result in more renovations/rebuilds especially in the section west of the MV trail which isn't as well-preserved as areas to the east of the trail.  

The main opportunities for future development near the park are up closer to 21st and around 18th & Boston which has direct access to the park and river trail system via the MV trail.  Also the areas south of the park along Crow Creek where the elusive "Phase 3" mixed-use portion will be located.  Connecting the park directly to Brookside via a new trail along Crow Creek will spur additional development there too.  I know it's likely a pipe dream but imagine a trail that followed Crow Creek all the way to near Utica Square going through Philbrook and Zink Park along the way. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:57:38 pm by SXSW » Logged

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #1262 on: July 18, 2019, 01:57:38 pm »

I had a visitor that said it has an "incomplete" feel on the south and west sides, but explained that is because it is, in fact, incomplete in those areas.  

I'm excited to see what ancillary developments happen because of this project.  Obviously the Maple Ridge neighborhood won't be changing which pretty much surrounds the park except that home values will continue to rise and could result in more renovations/rebuilds especially in the section west of the MV trail which isn't as well-preserved as areas to the east of the trail.  

The main opportunities for future development near the park are up closer to 21st and around 18th & Boston which has direct access to the park and river trail system via the MV trail.  Also the areas south of the park along Crow Creek where the elusive "Phase 3" mixed-use portion will be located.  Connecting the park directly to Brookside via a new trail along Crow Creek will spur additional development there too.  I know it's likely a pipe dream but imagine a trail that followed Crow Creek all the way to near Utica Square going through Philbrook and Zink Park along the way. 

As someone who lives in Brookside in this area, I'm very excited about the possibilities...! Smiley
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1263 on: July 28, 2019, 07:59:55 pm »

The Tulsa World editorial board needs to get a clue. That old Pedestrian Bridge was made to carry trains that weigh in excess of hundreds of tons ("Waiting for the bridge," July 17).

Are the experts saying it cannot carry a few hundred people at one time?
I suspect the study that determined it unsafe was the work of special-interest entities somehow controlled by profit motives.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/letters/letter-to-the-editor-tulsa-will-regret-tearing-down-pedestrian/article_11f8c3de-7399-53c6-94d1-677c256b5c19.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #1264 on: July 29, 2019, 08:01:39 am »

The Tulsa World editorial board needs to get a clue. That old Pedestrian Bridge was made to carry trains that weigh in excess of hundreds of tons ("Waiting for the bridge," July 17).

Are the experts saying it cannot carry a few hundred people at one time?
I suspect the study that determined it unsafe was the work of special-interest entities somehow controlled by profit motives.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/letters/letter-to-the-editor-tulsa-will-regret-tearing-down-pedestrian/article_11f8c3de-7399-53c6-94d1-677c256b5c19.html

I get your point, but I believe they identified a problem with the moorings/piers that support the bridge when they were looking at ways to refurbish.  Thus, difficult/expensive to fix.  I was not on the team, just passing along what was stated a few years ago.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1265 on: July 29, 2019, 08:14:34 am »

I encourage Mr. Wilson and anyone else with a true interest in the old bridge to email the city engineering department and get their explanation of it. I attended a presentation Paul Zachary (city engineer) gave awhile ago and he basically said they analyzed the piers and found that they were heavily fractured inside. They basically have a fractured core that is surrounded by steel sheaving and extra layers of concrete to hold it all together. It will work until it doesn't, like building a house on sand.

I am all for historic preservation, and really wanted this bridge to be saved, but anyone who actually looks into the issue will find that the city doesn't have much of a choice here.
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #1266 on: July 29, 2019, 09:03:06 am »

I haven't seen a single actual engineer stand up and say they are willing to risk the legal and moral implications of calling the bridge safe. We could probably convince some structural firm to come out and give us recommendations on how to save it, but saving it isn't "leave it alone". It would require lots of money. Money that could be spent giving us a better bridge. Not all demolition is bad.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1267 on: July 29, 2019, 12:38:27 pm »

We seem to all be in violent agreement that the bridge needs replaced
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1268 on: July 29, 2019, 04:13:32 pm »

From what I heard/read, the bridge needs to be torn down and replaced.  I don't believe there is a technological reason not to build another one just like the old one.

buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #1269 on: July 29, 2019, 08:15:29 pm »

We seem to all be in violent agreement that the bridge needs replaced

I always make fun of friends for getting mad at online commentators thinking that represent every person. And looking back, it does appear that other than the Tulsa World letter to the editor guy, nobody else was advocating for keeping the bridge.

Guess I need to make fun of myself now?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1270 on: August 03, 2019, 09:51:36 pm »

From Tulsa to Tokyo, imaginative spaces for all ages.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/lists/activities/best-playgrounds-around-world-family-travel/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1271 on: August 26, 2019, 12:48:50 pm »

Some additional development likely spurred by the Gathering Place at 37th & Riverside

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/first-phase-of-new-condo-construction-project-near-gathering-place/article_725138e7-5899-59d3-9b9f-19bd458bb30e.html

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1272 on: August 26, 2019, 01:18:08 pm »

I was about to rip this apart, but then I noticed that this is actually down the road a mile or so from Gathering Place, it's not part of the future mixed-use area immediately south of GP.

Looks like there's currently an empty lot and a few above-garage rentals in the location of this project. This will certainly add some density to Riverside in that area.

I'm not thrilled with the design though. Pretty bland. The rendering is pretty basic though, it will probably look better in person.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #1273 on: August 28, 2019, 01:09:07 pm »

I was about to rip this apart, but then I noticed that this is actually down the road a mile or so from Gathering Place, it's not part of the future mixed-use area immediately south of GP.

Looks like there's currently an empty lot and a few above-garage rentals in the location of this project. This will certainly add some density to Riverside in that area.

I'm not thrilled with the design though. Pretty bland. The rendering is pretty basic though, it will probably look better in person.

I think they look great. They look far better than most buildings and houses. You're right that they will probably look even better when finished.

I thought the same thing at first, but even if the Gathering Place had something like this put in on the outer edges (which used to be apartments), I wouldn't be mad. I hope they come up with something awesome that is mixed use though. I'm guessing they won't announce Phase 3 for a long time and that they'll announce a comprehensive plan all at once, rather than just a part at a time.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #1274 on: August 28, 2019, 01:23:19 pm »

I haven't seen a single actual engineer stand up and say they are willing to risk the legal and moral implications of calling the bridge safe. We could probably convince some structural firm to come out and give us recommendations on how to save it, but saving it isn't "leave it alone". It would require lots of money. Money that could be spent giving us a better bridge. Not all demolition is bad.

I worked on the development of Zink Dam and during that construction the bridge piers were exposed as a result of the dewatering process and it was very evident that there was significant structure damage at the time which resulted in an emergency change order to protect/reinforce them.  Forty years later I can't imagine that they are in any better shape.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:59:22 am by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org