A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:44:49 am
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 772336 times)
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #1245 on: May 23, 2019, 11:05:56 am »

To stick somewhat to the Gathering Place topic on this thread, anyone able to explain to me what a "sluice gate" is and how it protects the Gathering Place and part of Maple Ridge from flooding?
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #1246 on: May 23, 2019, 12:12:22 pm »

So I'm not sure how the ones there are actually set up, but I'm assuming that the area is low enough that water would back up from the Arkansas River under Riverside Drive through the storm drain pipes. And that there is a gate or valve on that pipe system that can be closed to ensure that river water doesn't do that. So the area could still flood since any rain is now being kept in that area and can't make it out. Or the gate could fail and water could start going up.

Again, not really sure where that gate is, who controls it, or if it is even shut right now. Just that if I were to design a system with a sluice gate, that is what I would do.
ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #1247 on: May 23, 2019, 01:01:44 pm »

To stick somewhat to the Gathering Place topic on this thread, anyone able to explain to me what a "sluice gate" is and how it protects the Gathering Place and part of Maple Ridge from flooding?

Depends on the use of the term. Its one of those things that can be a bunch of functionally different things. In this use I'm assuming, like buffalodan that it is closing off one of the creeks from the river. When water levels rise on main river or stream tributary streams that usually flow into a the larger stream can begin flowing backward. This reverse flow can cause substantial flooding around the smaller stream which now has inflows both from its drainage area as well as the stream it usually dumps into. A sluice gate prevents the inflow from the main stream. However, it traps the drainage unless paired with a pump to go over the levee.

I'm wondering if this experience is going to change the development plans for the Gathering Place down by the river. Maybe the plans already take into account flood events and won't need any changes but this will be the time to ask questions.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1248 on: May 23, 2019, 02:42:17 pm »

I'm wondering if this experience is going to change the development plans for the Gathering Place down by the river. Maybe the plans already take into account flood events and won't need any changes but this will be the time to ask questions.

As far as I know they don't have any plans to build structures down by the river.  I don't think this affects the whitewater flume the city will build.  The Children's Museum and Phase 3 "mixed-use" will all be above the 100 year flood plain but would likely flood in a 500 year event (along with the other neighborhoods along the river).

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1249 on: May 28, 2019, 10:23:44 am »

Depends on the use of the term. Its one of those things that can be a bunch of functionally different things. In this use I'm assuming, like buffalodan that it is closing off one of the creeks from the river. When water levels rise on main river or stream tributary streams that usually flow into a the larger stream can begin flowing backward. This reverse flow can cause substantial flooding around the smaller stream which now has inflows both from its drainage area as well as the stream it usually dumps into. A sluice gate prevents the inflow from the main stream. However, it traps the drainage unless paired with a pump to go over the levee.

The city has made amazing progress with flood control since the '80's, while at the same time presenting new challenges.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #1250 on: May 28, 2019, 10:34:34 am »

Ditto patric, it's the new challenges in the face of adversity that will be the real hurdle for both of Oklahoma's most populated cities to conquer.  Oklahoma's weather has not been kind to our state as a whole--especially of late...

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #1251 on: May 28, 2019, 10:56:09 am »

Error:  Posted to the wrong thread, continued to OKC Stuff...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:08:34 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #1252 on: May 28, 2019, 11:01:08 am »

Want to point out, in the midst of adversity, we still need to count our blessings and move forward.  The future generations will enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #1253 on: May 28, 2019, 01:01:33 pm »

I was talking to my brother about this the other day. He's a project manager/engineer in the construction industry.  The sluice gate in question is connected to Peggy's Pond, which is where all of the water from the Gathering Place drains and from there it exits to the River. 

They installed a sluice gate on the drainage channel to the River for exactly what is happening right now... to keep the river from backing up into Peggy's Pond during a flooding event and then flooding the Gathering Place.  It's protecting both the Gathering Place and the far Southwest corner of Maple Ridge, which was in the floodwaters in '86.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1254 on: May 29, 2019, 05:04:29 am »

The city has made amazing progress with flood control since the '80's, while at the same time presenting new challenges.

As someone who grew up in the Mingo Valley watershed near the Traffic Circle (and who lives in that same home now) I'd agree.  The vision the city had to buy out these properties in the flood area paved the way for the dredging of that pain that was Mingo Creek after the 1984 Memorial Day flood.  I've never worried about flood waters since, when it used to be a concern enough that my dad and I would get out in heavy rains to see how high Mingo Creek was up at the bridge on 11th Street.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1255 on: May 30, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »

Seems as good a place as any since this centers on a Riverside area.  Apparently Tulsa Tough has had to re-route Sunday's criterium races in Riverview by taking Riverside Drive out of the equation.  No idea if any of Riverparks will be used for expo area or VIP hospitality since the race apparently will not run down Riverside this year from Galveston to the start of CBH.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1256 on: July 14, 2019, 07:36:55 am »

Some Phase 2 updates in the TW this morning:

Stava said the design of the new pedestrian bridge is expected to be completed early next year, followed by 16 to 18 months of construction, putting the completion date at mid-2021.

This is pretty cool, I really like the design but hope they have enough funding to incorporate some of those shade areas.

“It will be the very first steel arched bridge in America,” Stava said.

This is why the riverfront by the Gathering Place is still fenced off and will be for awhile:
“Once the Gateway Bridge and low-water dam projects are completed, the Gathering Place will finish construction of the east bank where the pedestrian bridge lands, along with the north bump out, which includes the QuikTrip Lake View Lawn,” Stava said.

City officials said last week that reconstruction of Zink Dam is scheduled to begin in the summer of 2020 and take two years to complete.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/planned-pedestrian-bridge-project-over-arkansas-river-on-its-way/article_be5576ae-7920-56f4-9922-0ba2fa5974dc.html

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #1257 on: July 16, 2019, 11:18:41 am »

Some Phase 2 updates in the TW this morning:

This is pretty cool, I really like the design but hope they have enough funding to incorporate some of those shade areas.

This is why the riverfront by the Gathering Place is still fenced off and will be for awhile:
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/government-and-politics/planned-pedestrian-bridge-project-over-arkansas-river-on-its-way/article_be5576ae-7920-56f4-9922-0ba2fa5974dc.html

It also mentions that the rendering is the $34M version and they only have $27M so, some "add-on's" won't be present.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1258 on: July 16, 2019, 02:09:07 pm »

It also mentions that the rendering is the $34M version and they only have $27M so, some "add-on's" won't be present.

They are seeking private funding or sponsorship for those add-ons.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see it called the “insert local company” Pedestrian Bridge.

Hopefully they can tie the opening of Phase 2 including the children’s museum with the opening of the bridge in 2021, followed by the completion of Zink Dam and the whitewater flume/river bank improvements in 2022.  By that time they should be starting on the third and final mixed-use phase along Crow Creek.

Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #1259 on: July 18, 2019, 09:52:24 am »

It's kind of amazing to think that, as amazing as the Park is, it's basically... what... only about 60% done?
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org