A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:23:33 am
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) A Gathering Place For Tulsa  (Read 767237 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1110 on: September 06, 2018, 12:46:53 pm »

That lightshow is just temporary.  It's a little garish for my tastes, but given the overall level of achievement shown so far, I'm willing to let this slight style misstep slide.

Hey though, regarding the actual wetlands,  they have a pretty cool thing going on there.   They are using the wetlands as a natural filtering system for the lake water, and continuously circulating the water up and through the wetlands and back down into the lake.  It's a pretty neat setup, and very eco-friendly at the same time.

There are lots of cool things I like about the project, but sometimes they do things that seems out of character from what I understand it intending to be.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:37:35 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1111 on: September 06, 2018, 03:36:42 pm »

Hey though, regarding the actual wetlands,  they have a pretty cool thing going on there.   They are using the wetlands as a natural filtering system for the lake water, and continuously circulating the water up and through the wetlands and back down into the lake.  It's a pretty neat setup, and very eco-friendly at the same time.

Are you talking about the wetlands around the Crow Creek inlet or are there other wetland areas?  These areas were rendered with a boardwalk trail (labeled #19 on the map below) but I haven't seen any pictures of that area, and can't tell from this drone aerial.  It does look like they added two trails underneath the new Riverside bridge over the creek that will connect to the Children's Museum and another to a future Crow Creek bike/jogging trail to Brookside. 

rebound
City Father

« Reply #1112 on: September 06, 2018, 05:08:12 pm »

Are you talking about the wetlands around the Crow Creek inlet or are there other wetland areas?  These areas were rendered with a boardwalk trail (labeled #19 on the map below) but I haven't seen any pictures of that area, and can't tell from this drone aerial.  It does look like they added two trails underneath the new Riverside bridge over the creek that will connect to the Children's Museum and another to a future Crow Creek bike/jogging trail to Brookside. 

The area I am talking about would be in on the main area of the pond (2).   Not sure if they were on the North West end of the pond (left on pic), or more to the immediate West (bottom on pic).   There is fairly large wetland area, with a (much) smaller pond, and lots of wetland vegetation.  There are two "creeks" that run from the wetland area back down into the pond.  It's basically a filter recirculation loop using the wetlands as a filter.  They are still working on it, and it looks like they need to do some work on drainage, because the small pond appeared stagnant (but that could be on purpose for more algael filtration, don't know...)

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1113 on: September 07, 2018, 07:37:56 am »

The wetland filter is amazing.  Near the north (left on the above map) most "2" on the map, or between the left most blue dot and the "2" in the middle  of the pond.  Pumps water to a series of small ponds at the top with flow between them and on down to the larger pond.  As long as there isn't boatloads of fertilizer and the wetlands are maintained (overgrowth removed and composted so new growth can continue), it should keep excess nutrients out of the pond system.  We had a "slightly" smaller version at my house for years (feed fish, filter ammonia and nitrate through wetland, remove water lettuce and hyacinth from wetland for compost for garden), an interesting eco system developed.

Overall, I'm really excited by the Gathering Place. It's like a theme park!  I'm disappointed by the dog ban, but understand bad owners make bad rules necessary (I hope they change the rule to no dogs in playground areas).  I'm disappointed by the bike ban, we actually were already working on plans to bike to the park for Sunday picnics... but again, idiots thinking they are on the Tour make the rule convenient.  I'm sure there will be all kinds of tweeks after the first 100 days. But, then again, while there are things that I will enjoy - the park really isn't for me.  Families with school age kids are the ones that have really hit the lotto with this. Impossible to overstate how awesome this is for them.

I'm also excited to see how much of a Gather Place this turns out to be in the long term.  Can they achieve the dynamic and mix of peoples they are working hard to attract?  I hope so.  The more we interact and the more our kids play together, the harder it is to hate "them," whoever the "them" happens to be.   

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1114 on: September 07, 2018, 09:49:55 am »

It's a little garish for my tastes, but given the overall level of achievement shown so far, I'm willing to let this slight style misstep slide.

They tested the lasers this morning before 1am. Im a couple miles away but it was overhead so I was able to get some pictures.
Yes it looked cool as hell but no I dont think a nature habitat is the best location for that.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1115 on: September 07, 2018, 09:58:50 am »

They tested the lasers this morning before 1am. Im a couple miles away but it was overhead so I was able to get some pictures.
Yes it looked cool as hell but no I don't think a nature habitat is the best location for that.

It's an art installation for the grand opening, it's not permanent.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/gatheringplace/gathering-place-rainbow-lasers-wash-over-tulsa-as-a-light/article_a12da542-2fcd-58ba-86b7-666009ef0996.html
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1116 on: September 10, 2018, 11:06:51 am »

sigh

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1117 on: September 10, 2018, 11:50:18 am »

^ There's always going to be some idiot looking for attention. 

Everything I've heard is the opening weekend was a success with no major issues.  And as of this morning Riverside is open again.   Grin

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1118 on: September 10, 2018, 12:20:00 pm »

I was surprised there weren't more people there for the actual opening. They had it setup with video boards going down riverside so that thousands of people could see the opening ceremony, but it wasn't needed. Maybe a thousand people there total? I walked right up and was at the back of the VIP section. I mean, it was raining lightly and it was 8:30 am on a Saturday, but still, this is history.

I noticed a lot more people started showing up about noonish when I was heading out, and it sounds like the roots concert was well attended at least. Sunday seemed busy as well. I wouldn't be surprised if next weekend ends up being the super crazy packed weekend. Everyone is trying to avoid the crowds.

I like the park. It's definitely above and beyond any park I've ever been to or even seen pictures of. There are some interesting things that make it look like something out of the EU, like sharp drop-offs that don't have any kind of barriers, and steep stairways made out of huge stone blocks with no proper railings. I'm definitely wondering about what will happen with the first major lawsuit from somebody claiming the park wasn't designed "safe" enough.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1119 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:58 pm »

More info on Phase 2 from the TW.  No mention of the whitewater flume, is that still part of the Dam project?

What's next?

With the opening of Gathering Place and Riverside Drive, the next work will include a larger dam, anchoring the south side of the park with a children's museum and replacing the century-old pedestrian bridge. Here are some details:
The Gateway Bridge: Will replace the old pedestrian bridge and connect the Gathering Place to the trails on the west bank of the Arkansas River. Construction is expected to start in fall 2019.
Low-Water Dam: The Zink Dam will be rebuilt to be three feet higher to put more water into Zink Lake. Construction is expected to begin next fall.
Tulsa Children’s Museum Discovery Lab: Located on Museum Hill, the 50,000-square-foot facility will serve as a focal point on the park’s southern side as part of Phase II of the Gathering Place. Construction could start by 2019.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tulsaworld.com/news/gatheringplace/now-that-riverside-drive-is-open-what-s-next-for/article_acd27f95-1e0b-5800-9dc1-a712bbfbfbe9.amp.html

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1120 on: September 12, 2018, 11:43:15 am »

^ There's always going to be some idiot looking for attention. 

Everything I've heard is the opening weekend was a success with no major issues.  And as of this morning Riverside is open again.   Grin

Other than aerials, the Riverside tunnels are all I have seen sofar, and I absolutely loved those.  Traffic was practically at a standstill Monday mainly due to pedestrian crossings, but it beats 50mph.

Then there's this:

Gathering Place officials’ decision over the weekend to turn away three people carrying handguns into the park has prompted questions about whether the 66.5-acre recreation area is public or private, and what that means for handgun policies on the property.

This much is clear: Gathering Place’s handgun policy is not in keeping with River Parks Authority’s policy, or with the policies of the city and county parks systems.

Each of those public entities follows state law, which supersedes local ordinances as it relates to handgun regulations.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/gatheringplace/gathering-place-gun-policy-in-question-second-amendment-group-says/article_dca5f852-9710-55f1-b7c2-acee9bb8c62c.html

Im guessing there will be a similar question about GP's ban on drones, since UAVs are federally regulated.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #1121 on: September 12, 2018, 03:03:36 pm »

Other than aerials, the Riverside tunnels are all I have seen sofar, and I absolutely loved those.  Traffic was practically at a standstill Monday mainly due to pedestrian crossings, but it beats 50mph.

Then there's this:

Gathering Place officials’ decision over the weekend to turn away three people carrying handguns into the park has prompted questions about whether the 66.5-acre recreation area is public or private, and what that means for handgun policies on the property.

This much is clear: Gathering Place’s handgun policy is not in keeping with River Parks Authority’s policy, or with the policies of the city and county parks systems.

Each of those public entities follows state law, which supersedes local ordinances as it relates to handgun regulations.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/gatheringplace/gathering-place-gun-policy-in-question-second-amendment-group-says/article_dca5f852-9710-55f1-b7c2-acee9bb8c62c.html

Im guessing there will be a similar question about GP's ban on drones, since UAVs are federally regulated.

And dogs and bikes.   Not quite on the same level as the above, but had that same thought about the dog and bike ban.  Is this really a private park?   I'm fine with it, if that's what it takes to maintain control, but I'm not surprised that somebody is challenging it.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1122 on: September 13, 2018, 08:00:05 am »

The rules on the website are not as extensive as the ones on placards around the park:

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1123 on: September 13, 2018, 08:45:21 am »

• The display of open or concealed carry of guns, knives, or other weapons is strictly prohibited

That's extremely poorly worded.  
Are weapons allowed as long as you don't display them?

display of open carry (redundant...   and throws the meaning/intent of the whole bullet point into question)
display of concealed (that's called open-carry)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:48:11 am by BKDotCom » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1124 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:30 am »

That's extremely poorly worded.  
Are weapons allowed as long as you don't display them?

display of open carry (redundant...   and throws the meaning/intent of the whole bullet point into question)
display of concealed (that's called open-carry)

So those bicycle cops are actually being paid as private security?  If GP is a private attraction, fine, just be upfront about it.

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org